The Magic Lands

by Mark Hockley | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by LyzzyBee of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 11/1/2008
Journal Entry 1 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 01, 2008
Kindly sent to me by the author after a conversation started on LibraryThing about how to get your books "out there".

I've had a look at it and I think it might be a bit strong for me (I am notoriously pathetic when it comes to battles, wounds etc!) so I am offering it on a bookray unread...

From the back of the book:

"When two teenage boys, Tom Lewis and Jack Barton, climb the gigantic oak at the bottom of Tom's garden, they embark on a journey that takes them toward adulthood, a change embracing both enlightenment and loss.

Finding themselves in a dangerous, alien realm, where dreams and reality seem to interweave and deception is at the heart of everything, they come under the malevolent influence of a creature known as the White Wolf. What had begun as a childish adventure is in fact something far darker and deeper, for the Wolf is playing a momentous game, an arcane puzzle that must be resolved.

The boys walk a dark road of treachery and pain, love and lust, sacrifice and redemption. Friendship and loyalty are put to the test and corruption comes in many guises. Finally, truth can only be revealed through pain and forfeit. It is a journey into the heart of darkness where nothing and no-one are what they seem and the rules are the logic of a dream."

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 01, 2008
Book Ray!

This book is going on its travels! Please go by the basic rules or let me know if you have a delay or difficulty...

1. Journal the book when you receive it.
2. PM the next person and make a note that you've done so.
3. Read and review the book, preferably within 4 weeks of receiving it.
4. Mail the book to the next person. PLEASE put on a JE or release note when you've done this.

SHIPPING ORDER:

Caroley UK (anywhere)
Wichtelkoenigin Germany (anywhere)
DitteL Denmark (anywhere)
Mazzlestar UK (UK)
Wigglywoods UK <------- it's here!

As it's a bookray, this is now free to travel wherever it wants to go, once wigglywoods has finished it

Released 11 yrs ago (11/8/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting to Caroley today...

Journal Entry 4 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Received in the post today, thanks!

I'm reading a rather thick book at the moment but Magic Lands will be next to be read. I can't wait, actually. It looks just the type of book that I like.

Have PMd Wichtelkoenigin for an address.

Journal Entry 5 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 22, 2008
Having just finished this, the first word that comes to mind is "Wow!"

The book starts out as a nice gentle story about two boys and gradually turns into a Good vs Evil story where you're often not quite sure what is real, what is illusion and what is a dream. It seemed to get darker and darker as it progressed and had an unexpected ending. I like that in a book!

The writing style was different to any I'd encountered before but I'm nowhere near clever enough to be able to categorise it. I'll just say that I liked it. It did take a couple of chapters before I really got drawn in, but that may be because I started it straight after finishing a book that I maybe needed to digest for a while first.

It'll be on it's way on Monday, if I can get to the post office.

Journal Entry 6 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, November 24, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (11/24/2008 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted to Germany via Airmail.

Journal Entry 7 by Wichtelkoenigin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, December 03, 2008
I have just collected the magic lands from the post office.

Thank you very much for letting me join and for sending it on!

Somehow I still think it's a miracle that books keep turning up at my front door.

I will travel by train a lot this weekend, so I'm going to get started with the book then.

And, last but not least, thx for the nice post card enclosed to the book.

PMed DitteL to ask for the next address.

Journal Entry 8 by Wichtelkoenigin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, December 22, 2008
"Wow, weird".
An unexpected ending indeed.

Lots of Christian symbolism, I haven't heard the words "love, faith and hope" repeated more often since I last was in a church, must be a while.
It's not fantasy in the way that it tells you a lot about dwarf tribes or elvish history or details about the sword of so-and-so, it's more of a mind trip.

It gets 8 out of 10 from me for being different.

I will send it to Denmark today.

Journal Entry 9 by Wichtelkoenigin at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 22, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/22/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book will travel towards its next station today. Have a good journey.

Journal Entry 10 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Saturday, December 27, 2008
Arrived in the mail today. I've a couple of books which I must read before I start reading this one, but hopefully it won't take long before this book is ready to continue its journey.

Thanks for sending Wichtelkoenigin and thanks for sharing LyzzyBee

Journal Entry 11 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Finished reading this one last night, but decided to wait until today before I posted my comments as I needed time to figure out if there was anything at all that I liked about his book. Sadly I don't really think there was.

In my opinion the story was a mess. Don't get me wrong, dreams are wonderful, but the thing about dreams are that they only make sense while sleeping - trying to write them down afterwards isn't a good idea.

Futhermore, I felt like the author wanted to pay tribute to every single story he'd ever read and loved, and the easiest way to do that was apparently to create a world where no rules apply. In my mind it all ended up being rather confusing.

I would have given the book four stars - after all it was a brand new way to write a story about children entering another world, but I can only give it three because of the layout. I actually think the layout helped to confuse me as I kept reading the same sentence over and over again.

I really wanted to like this book, but I just didn't.

I've already got mazzlestar's address and will post the book within the next couple of days.

Happy reading.

Journal Entry 12 by DitteL at Frederiksberg, København Amt Denmark on Saturday, January 17, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at Frederiksberg, København Amt Denmark

On its way back home to the UK.

Journal Entry 13 by mazzlestar from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Eek, this book is huge! It's safe with me for now, anyway, and I'll get onto it ASAP.

Journal Entry 14 by mazzlestar from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Sorry I've had this so long! I did read it, and I thought it was really brilliant in places, but perhaps the author bit off more than he could chew with it? Good concepts and ideas but overdeveloped in places and underdeveloped in others. A bit difficult to get through at times.

Sending out on friday to WigglyWoods.

Journal Entry 15 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 16, 2009
Received this morning - many thanks mazzlestar.