Vanity Fair

by William Makepeace Thackeray | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Vasha of Ithaca, New York USA on 10/28/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Vasha from Ithaca, New York USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
For many, the defining moment of Vanity Fair occurs in its opening chapter. Becky Sharp, prospective governess, emerges from Miss Pinkerton’s academy and flings her parting gift of Doctor Johnson’s Dictionary back through the gates. This “heroical act” is our first indication of Becky’s irreverent power to shape her own destiny, but in dispensing with that monument of eighteenth-century control and classification, Thackeray also symbolically, if not literally, inaugurates Victorian fiction.

Thackeray’s novel is historical: set in the Regency period, it explores the limits of that world, as well as the constitutive conditions laid down for its won. Becky is central to this achievement, as her literary creation draws on the dualistic possibilities of that transitional moment. A constantly calculating adventuress who, devoid of all sentimentality, is thus the perfect mistress of a society in which everything is for sale and nothing possesses lasting value. Yet our perception of the way in which she operates sets her quite apart from any of the satirical heroines of contemporary literature. She is seductive because of her constant power to surprise, balancing often conflicting emotions such as ambition, greed, and selfishness, with poise, warmth, and admiration. Becky makes her way through a hollow world with the battle of Waterloo at its center, diagnosing the hypocrisies she exploits as well as acting as a foil to illuminate the few moments of generosity that are in evidence, her own included. As a result, she not only makes possible Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina, formed directly under Thackeray’s influence, but also Eliot’s Gwendolen Harleth and Hardy’s Sue Bridehead. Placed at the shifting heart of
Vanity Fair, she causes its universe to be glitteringly compelling, and uncomfortably familiar. — David Towsey in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thanks so much for your donation Vasha!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2010
I am adopting this 1001-Library book for storage. It is available for check-out!

Journal Entry 4 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing svoight:)

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookstogivewing at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/21/2011 UTC) at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines

Released to a fellow 1001-Library Member, thanks for selecting it!

Journal Entry 6 by akosikulot at Angono, Rizal Philippines on Thursday, March 06, 2014
Hi. I know it's been a while since I've visited BookCrossing, and this book was sent to me three years ago - I apologize profusely for having taken this long to write a journal entry.

A lot has happened in the past three years: I went back to school for my last year of school; finished my thesis but unfortunately got incomplete grades in three other subjects so I wasn't able to graduate still; I applied for and got my first job as a junior copywriter at a media advertising agency, which lasted about a year; then I met the love of my life (yes), got pregnant, gave birth to a wonderful baby boy we named Audio (not kidding), and now I'm a stay-at-home mom. :)

Anyway, since three years ago when these books were sent to me, they've travelled to San Francisco via my aunt's house, got inside a balikbayan box that made its way to my first boardinghouse - where some were read, and some were not - moved with me to my next boardinghouse, where they were promptly left, along with everything else that I owned, when I sort of ran away after finding out I was pregnant. I just got all of my stuff back last December, and it is only recently that I finally accepted the fact that, much as I want them to stay with me a little bit more, these books deserve better homes.

And so I passed it on to Eden D., along with three other BC books, as a freebie together with my non-BC books that she bought from me online, where I had a booksale. Hello Ms. Eden, I hope you enjoy this book, and be kind enough to journal its arrival at your doorstep. :)