Written on the Body

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0099193914 Global Overview for this book
Registered by LittleBigDave of Selby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/28/2008
Journal Entry 1 by LittleBigDave from Selby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
A first person tale of love, loss, and the lingering effects of Adultery from the Lovers point of view; I found this book to be very introspective and insightful. It reads like a journal of a Lovers entanglement both rewarding and regretful.

You will take a journey of pain, hope, disenchantment, and even love. Our narrator is no fresh flower stumbling around marriage but knows very well the waters they find themselves in, rough and inviting.

I enjoyed this book because of the language and imagery used: beautiful, haunting, revealing, and truthful. Some wonderful examples are the following:

"What other places are there in the world than those discovered on a lovers body?"
"What then kills love? Only this: NEGLECT."

The first sentence in the book is, "Why is the measure of love loss?" and that tells you pretty much what you need to know.

Journal Entry 2 by LittleBigDave at Wakefield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 06, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/8/2008 UTC) at Wakefield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Send by post to BCer shnedwards - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, November 10, 2008
It's just arrived! Thanks very much LittleBigDave! Some labels will be on their way to you soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, May 28, 2009
Really enjoying this so far...

This is one of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. Reserved for bookray.

Mailing order (subject to change):

voveryte, UK
Jozebedee, UK <---here

back to me, then
hereticcoy, US

Journal Entry 5 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Beautiful, true, erotic, deeply affecting. Jeanette Winterson should be a national treasure, if she isn't already. And she went to my mum's school.

Will send this on to Danielle23 as soon as I have her address...

Sent 4th June 2009

Journal Entry 6 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, June 06, 2009
Arrived safely this morning shnedwards and it intrigues me so much that I'm starting it right now. Thank you so much xx

Journal Entry 7 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, June 06, 2009
This book was very beautifully written and I loved the descriptions of the love the characters felt. Such a huge amount of loss and searching in the book but I never gave up hope, and still haven't.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful book shnedwards, reserved for stubee and KT-J and will send on as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 8 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/8/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Sent to stubee and KT-J, the next participants in the bookray. Enjoy xx

Journal Entry 9 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
It's arrived thanks Danielle23 for sending on and to Shnedwards [as always] for organising. Whoever finishes their current book first between me and KT-J will probably read this next....

EDIT: 19th June - I’ve just finished Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady and I must say it's a nice shift from the hard language of that to this fast paced snappy easy to read book. Only read a few pages but so far it's beautiful.... more to come.....

EDIT: 23rd June - A very quick read considering my last read. I'd like to ditto Shnedwards comments above with the exception that JW didn't go to my Mum's school. A beautiful novel despite being very sad!

I'll pass this onto KT-J once she's back from a work trip.

Next Up: Iain M. Banks - The Player of Games

Journal Entry 10 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Received from Stubee, thanks! I'll be getting onto this soon.

Journal Entry 11 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was absolutely beautifully written, the language used and the descriptive emotion made this both sad and joyful. I also found it really interesting reading a book where you have no idea about who the narrator is. The way that the book is written made me think the narrator is a woman but Stubee said he read it as being narrated by a man. Either way, it was a very evocative novel and I'm glad I've read it.

Thanks shnedwards for yet another enjoyable 1001 book. This has been posted to cat207 today.

Journal Entry 12 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
Arrived in today's mail. Thanks stubee (loved the postcard!) and KT-J, and shnedwards, again, for sharing your books. X

Journal Entry 13 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, August 08, 2009
Is there really such a love? And would it have stood the test of time had they stayed together? I'd like to think so.
A very beautiful book.

I'll send this on to bookworm76 in Monday's mail.

Journal Entry 14 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 14, 2009
It arrived in the mail today. I will read it and send it off.

Journal Entry 15 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Sunday, September 20, 2009
This was quite a complicated story. I thought it was really beautiful.

Sending it off when I next get to the post office.

Journal Entry 16 by bookworm76 at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Sunday, September 20, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/20/2009 UTC) at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia

Sending off to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 17 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
The book arrived today. It's going on my tbr for now

Just finished reading the book. It is a nice book to read. And like some people above me I wonder if the narrator is a guy or a girl.

I will PM the next person on the list for their address

Journal Entry 18 by EmgeeNL at a bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/21/2009 UTC) at a bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The book is on it's way to the UK

Journal Entry 19 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, October 31, 2009
Received today! Looking forward!

Journal Entry 20 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 14, 2010
Received safely thanks voveryte! Thanks shnedwards for including me in this ray. I currently have a few other ray/ring books to get through first, but will get to this as soon as I can! :)

Journal Entry 21 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 28, 2010
I couldn't get into this book at all I'm afraid. It just didn't hold my attention, where other highly emotive and descriptive books usually do. I can't say why really, I just thought that there was no substance to the story, and it was all over the place. I couldn't keep up with which woman she/he was talking about half the time, and the narrator struck me as arrogant and unlikeable. Shame really, as the other journal entries seemed to be quite positive - but it just wasn't for me.
Thanks though shnedwards for including me in this ray. I have pm'd you for details to send it back to you. :)

Released 9 yrs ago (3/1/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent second class today. Thanks again Sian.

Journal Entry 23 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 03, 2010
It's here! Hope you had a nice journey, little book.
Thanks Jo for sending this back to me. To be sent on to hereticcoy in the US.

Journal Entry 24 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 30, 2010
No reply from hereticcoy. Marking as AVL for now.

Journal Entry 25 by wingshnedwardswing at Pin Bar, Dock Street in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 02, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/2/2010 UTC) at Pin Bar, Dock Street in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

At the meetup