The Right Stuff

by Tom Wolfe | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by otterlake of Chicago, Illinois USA on 10/28/2008
Journal Entry 1 by otterlake from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
One Book One Chicago. Very interesting read about the mind of a pilot, the mind of early 60s america, and the mind of the folks running the space program. Let's just say things weren't as Life said they were.

Journal Entry 2 by otterlake at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/28/2008 UTC) at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA

at meetup or by condiments if not taken.

Journal Entry 3 by gingergrant from Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, November 09, 2008
Caught another one of yours, otterlake. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by gingergrant at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, August 30, 2015
I admit, I fell into the category of people who only think of Neil and Buzz in relation to early manned space flights. Well now I feel much better educated. I'd heard of this book and knew there was a movie, but every time I heard the title "The Right Stuff", I was put off by it because it seemed a rah-rah homage to patriotic American heroes. Having read it now, I see that while yes, this is a tribute to the skill and bravery of the Mercury astronauts, it's also a bursting of the bubble of myth surrounding them and early NASA.

I was put off some by Wolfe's excessive use of exclamation marks and hitting his themes with a hammer over and over, but the more I read, the more those things faded into the background. I was especially captivated by his "you are there" descriptions of the different flights, especially John Glenn's mission of being the first American to orbit the Earth. Spellbinding.