Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

by Elizabeth Gilbert | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by ravencat of Buffalo, New York USA on 10/26/2008
Journal Entry 1 by ravencat from Buffalo, New York USA on Sunday, October 26, 2008
to be read and then released

Journal Entry 2 by ravencat from Buffalo, New York USA on Sunday, March 29, 2009
I started reading this book awhile back and couldn't get into it and then gave it a second chance which now i'm glad I did. Her personal journey was very enlightening with a mix of spiritulism and humor to keep you mesmerized to the very end.

Journal Entry 3 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Sunday, August 08, 2010
August12,2010-Will be a bookring. The usual rules apply but most of all enjoy the book and return to me after the ring is complete. I try to do my best in accomodating everyones ship preferences but if there is a problem just let me know and we can work something out. The list of participants so far:

1. froggie 66 (Canada)
9. Rrrcaron (US) <~~~~ No reply 30 NOV 2011
10.minesayn (US)
11. itsapenpalworld (US) <~~~~ No response 17 APRIL 2012
12. ravencat (US) Back Home 19 APRIL 2012

Journal Entry 4 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Monday, August 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/16/2010 UTC) at Lancaster, New York USA

Bookring is under way and sent to first participant froggie66 in Canada. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 5 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Arrived safely. Thanks for starting this bookring. I will get to it during the long weekend likely. :) Wanted to read the book before seeing the movie with Julie Roberts. lol Will let you know what I think when I finish. Nice bookmark. Will include a postcard of my city to add to its travels.

Update: Oct7, 2010. I am half way through the book. I have the address of the next person. I am going to send it out soon as I am not getting very far very fast and don't want to tie up this ray. It will be on its way soon.

Journal Entry 6 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 11, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/11/2010 UTC) at Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Sending this off to the next person as I can't seem to get through it very easily. Hope you enjoy it Maranlin.

Journal Entry 7 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 20, 2010
I picked this up today from the post office. I will be starting it in the next day or two. Thanks to Froggie66 for sending it along, and to ravencat for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
This book took longer than I thought it would to get through. I really got bogged down in the middle section (India) where it seemed to me some of the descriptions and explanations were too long, and at times I lost interest there. However, having said that, I did enjoy the book overall and I'm glad I read it. Liz Gilbert's journey, to 3 countries as well as her personal journey, was overall very interesting. I may even read some of her other books. Thank you, ravencat for sharing this book. I will be sending it off to lauraloo29 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (12/1/2010 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

Mailed to lauraloo29 in Edmonton. Hope you enjoy the book!
Released also for the 2010 NJABBIC Challenge (Week 48: no spine art)

Journal Entry 10 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 10, 2010
Arrived safe and sound yesterday. I have a few rings, but I'm keeping them moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 16, 2011
At first I wasn't sure I would like this book. I kept avoiding reading, not a good sign for me. Then I got caught up at the beginning and how she had laid out the book. But..... I quickly lost interest. Weird. I do like to read memoirs. Perhaps this one has had so much hype. Not sure. If it was my personal copy I would chip away at it. I do like the humour. But I don't want to hold it up any longer. I already have the next address and it will be on its way next week. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by sorcha-sidhe at Quorn, South Australia Australia on Friday, March 11, 2011
"But why must everything always have a practical application? I'd been such a diligent soldier for years - working, producing, never missing a deadline, taking care of my loved ones, my gums and my credit record, voting etc. Is this lifetime supposed to be only about duty?" - Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat, Pray, Love is a memoir of the adventure and experience undertaken by the author after a failed marriage and a failed rebound relationship.

Suffering severe depression, Gilbert makes the decision to take twelve months off from life and all the responsibilities that come with it, and embark on a spiritual journey across Italy, India and Indonesia (Bali).

In Italy she eats; in India she prays; and in Bali she discovers what it truly means to love.

This memoir starts out brilliantly: It was so easy to empathise and sympathise with Gilbert as she faces the reality that her seemingly perfect life is not making her happy; in fact, the weight of expectation placed on her by her husband and her family has made her uncontrollably miserable.

But Italy was so much fun! There was so much adventure, and so much discovery: It made me want to go to Italy - Just jump on a plane and go, right now! I was totally engrossed, and in retrospect I feel that it was Italy where Gilbert's true spiritual transformation took place.

Unfortunately for me, Gilbert left Italy and travelled onto India where she spent months in an Ashram trying to reach spiritual enlightenment, before moving onto Bali where she intends to learn wisdom from a medicine man, but instead ends up spending a lot of her time...with her new boyfriend. Neither India nor Bali had the excitement and intrigue of Italy. Her experiences in Italy were more honest, I felt. Her emotions there were raw, and it was in Italy that she was able to break through the cacoon of depression that had kept her trapped for such a long time. It was Italy where she truly let go of all responsibility and just let herself enjoy the adventure she was on. Italy was all about being lost in language, food and fun, which is exactly how everyone should spend their existence.

In other reviews Gilbert has been criticised for having her publisher fund her "spiritual journey" by agreeing to write a memoir on it before she had even caught the first flight. I believe this highlights how unrealistic taking this type of journey would be for many people, and raises some doubts (in my mind, at least) as to the accuracy of what has been written. Had she funded the journey herself and only wrote the memoir as an after-thought, I personally feel I would have enjoyed it more.

Despite its flaws, Eat, Pray, Love acts as a starting point for reassessing the responsibilities in our lives, to think about what truly makes us happy, and then to find the courage to take the plunge and make it happen. Too often we find ourselves so caught up in "duty" that we forget to take the time to just enjoy life, and for that reason this book gets 6 out of 10 from me.

Journal Entry 13 by sorcha-sidhe at Port Augusta, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/21/2011 UTC) at Port Augusta, South Australia Australia

On its way to Jujuks in Portugal, FINALLY! Apologies for the delay on this one. We had some urgent renovations to do at home and it got misplaced amongst the chaos.

Journal Entry 14 by Jujuks at Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, September 16, 2011
Book has arrived safely today. Thanks for sending it!

And I'm not sure who made the origami but they are adorable.

Journal Entry 15 by Jujuks at Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, October 23, 2011
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first because it seemed like a self-help book and it had the "pray" right there in the title but I'd seen some quotes from it going around the internet and decided to give it a try.

I did enjoy the book, I especially liked the part about Italy and all her meditating did seem pretty interesting. All in all I was happily surprised about it.

Journal Entry 16 by Jujuks at Frisco, Texas USA on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (10/24/2011 UTC) at Frisco, Texas USA

Seet to Agrace because star69 asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 17 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Monday, November 14, 2011
Thought I had journaled when it came in; but would have been back today anyway as I finished it last night. Overall, I enjoyed the book and Gilbert's talking-to-your-girlfriend way of writing. As a Christian, the spiritual aspect was interesting, but the time in India did drag and I wished she has spent more time with Ketut in Bali.

Journal Entry 18 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 16, 2011
JennyC asked to be skipped. Sending PM to Rrrcaron

Journal Entry 19 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Monday, November 21, 2011
haven't heard back from rrcaron in almost a week, so sending a pm to minesayn.

Journal Entry 20 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Thursday, December 01, 2011
I did not receive a reply from Rrrcaron, so I sent the book to minesayn today.

Journal Entry 21 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Monday, December 05, 2011
Received in the mail from Agrace...thanks! Look forward to reading it, but have several other rings ahead that I have received in the past month. Will read and then get it passed on. Thanks to Ravencat for the chance to read this one.

Journal Entry 22 by wingminesaynwing at Lancaster, New York USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/17/2012 UTC) at Lancaster, New York USA

Finally finished this book about the exploits and ramblings of Liz Gilbert in Italy (where she experienced gastronomic delights), India (where she practiced yoga and met many others studying at this ashram), and Indonesia (where she started her journey by meeting a medicine man (Ketut Lieyer) and ended her year's journey with him, and meeting a new love). After a year's travel, she has found love and has acquired balance in her life.

Now, returning via media mail, to ravencat...thanks for letting me participate in your ring.

Journal Entry 23 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Thursday, April 19, 2012
Arrived home after its long journey and I want to thank everyone who participated in this bookring. Now this book will take a nice deserved rest on my bookshelf.

Journal Entry 24 by ravencat at Buffalo, New York USA on Saturday, May 04, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (5/4/2019 UTC) at Buffalo, New York USA

Released for Feminism/Woman Power Bookring.

Journal Entry 25 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Thursday, May 23, 2019
Received in my Feminism / Girl Power Bookbox

I already have a copy of this book, so I will release this out into the wild shortly. Plus, I am not a fan of the BCID#, as it contains 666. Call me superstitious, but I don't need that kind of luck right now.

Released 5 mos ago (5/23/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library #12306 - 12th Ave. and Lincoln St. in Denver, Colorado USA

Released at the Little Free Library located at 12th and Lincoln. Please enjoy!