One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

by Alexander SOLZHENITSYN | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by marko167 of Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on 10/20/2008
Journal Entry 1 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Monday, October 20, 2008
Bought for the The Nobel Spiral.

Journal Entry 2 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Strange book, I know it is fiction but so much of it was based on the author's experience that it could almost have been an amalgamation of diary entries. Not a story in the classical sense, having a start, middle and end, but a very good portrait of a day in the life of a prisoner living through a regime of perpetual dullness, struggling for survival with too little food, too little warmth.

Rings so true as the author didn't hold punches in representing the inmates on one side as solid and humane but equally subject to petty squabbles, meanness and selfishness.

Journal Entry 3 by marko167 at Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases

Off it flies to geetheflea as the next installment of the Nobel spiral.

Journal Entry 4 by geetheflea from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Came through the postbox today. Have always meant to read this - is one of my fathers favourites. Thanks again marko167 for sending another great book to me :)

Journal Entry 5 by geetheflea from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 13, 2009
Enjoyed this book very much. Was snowing here in London so just added to the atmosphere of the book! Posting this off to brunton11 today. Thanks as always marko167 :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 21, 2009
Arrived today :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 01, 2009
I liked this one - I can imagine the same story being replayed day ater day with little change. OH tells me there has been a film based on the book so will look out for that.

Thanks all for sharing and introducing me to yet another author I may never have read otherwise. I will post this book off to katrinat tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 02, 2009
Posted to katrinat today.

Journal Entry 9 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Arrived today, I still have the last one which I'm currently in the middle of reading. I'll try and get them both sent off by next week

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, March 22, 2009
I enjoyed reading this book but found I don't have much to say about it now it is read. Maybe that is because it was just based around a day and as Marko167 said it didn't seem like much of a story.

Will post out as soon as I can get to a post office. Tha nks for sharing

Released 9 yrs ago (4/11/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

sorry this has taken so long, it completely slipped my mind

Journal Entry 12 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, May 07, 2009
Arrived safely. Once more, many thanks to katrinat for sending it.