The River

by Cheryl Kaye Tardif | Teens |
ISBN: 1412062292 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 10/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, October 17, 2008
The author sent this book to me after I entered a contest on John Mutford's 2nd Canadian Book Challenge. The book is set in the North West Territory on the Nahanni River. I saw a documentary many years ago about the river and I have been fascinated by it ever since. I'm looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, July 01, 2009
This is my first book for the John Mutford's third Canadian reading challenge. I decided this year to read a mystery set in each province and territory. Fortunately, I had received Cheryl Kaye Tardif's The River as a result of one of John's contests in 2008. It is set in The North West Territory along the fabled Nahanni River.

Delila Hawthorne is a professor of anthropology at UBC. She is meeting with a student when an old man bursts into her room and says "She always leads with her heart." Frightened, she rings for security but then realizes that the man is Arnold Schroeder who disappeared seven years ago while on a trip with her father. The trip was the adventure of a lifetime, a trip down the Nahanni River. When Professor Schroeder tells her that her father, Lawrence, is still alive Del decides she is going after him. She has Professor Schroeder's coded notebook, her ex-boyfriend (TJ), her student (Peter), a math whiz friend of Peter's (Miki), an extremely handsome former associate of her father's (Jake) and his former girlfriend (Francesca) to accompany her. In the NWT they pick up the guide, Hawk, and a computer nerd from Ottawa (Gary). Complicating matters is the fact that Del suffers from MS although she has been in remission for a year. This band of adventurers travel down the Nahanni following the same path Del's father took 7 years previously. They manage to decipher enough of the notebook to find a piece of jewellery that has been left for Del. This piece of jewellery is the key to a gate that thrusts them forward in time to the year 2031.

At the time of his disappearance, Del's father was working on perfecting nanotechnology to eradicate diseases such as cancer. He was abducted by people who wanted to use the technology to reverse aging and extend life. They have a serum that does this but it is extremely painful to use. They believe Del's father is hiding a file that will overcome this problem and that he will be forced to give it over if Del is threatened.

I thought the premise of this book was great. I am a fan of sf and this book certainly has all the trappings. I also loved the setting which is used to great effect. There are some typos and errors (although this may not be noticed or if noticed bother other people) but I thought the biggest problem was overlooking the paradoxes involved with time travel. At one point, Lawrence shows Jake an article that Jake wrote in 2009, four years later than Jake left on the trip. Jake asks how the article came to exist if Jake is in the future. Lawrence answers:
...I'm not sure, Jake. By coming here you've changed things. Maybe even the future. I wasn't even sure if that article would still appear in the journal. I simply don't understand how it all works. (p. 156)

The hard sf afficionado in me turns my nose up at that waffling explanation.

Of course, if there is a follow-up to this book, this and other unanswered questions could be dealt with. So, Cheryl, I'm waiting for the next book. In the meantime, thanks for the read.

I'm going to pass this book on to my sister who I think will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, July 26, 2009
My sister has read it and she released it during the Fringe Festival

Released 10 yrs ago (7/20/2009 UTC) at Manitoba Theatre Centre – 174 Market in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

My sister released this book during the Fringe Festival in the lobby of MTC which is the Fringe Festival Central.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, September 11, 2009
found this book at manitoba theatre centre on july 26,2009.
THE BOOK STARTED OUT INTERESTING BUT SEEMED A LITTLE FAR FETCHED NEAR THE END.
I ENJOYED IT AND NOW AM PASSING IT ALONG IT'S JOURNEY.

CAUGHT IN WINNIPEG MANITOBA CANADA

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, July 08, 2011
This book somehow ended up at the used book store at the U of W, and I found it unpacking boxes in storage this morning. I will release it back into the world :)