There's a Boy in Here

by Judy Barron | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by EarthAngel of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 4/24/2003
Journal Entry 1 by EarthAngel from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 24, 2003
Never read...

Released on Thursday, April 24, 2003 at Another Bookcrossing Member in St. John's, Newfoundland Canada.

being sent to bflybabe Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by bflybabe from Palos Hills, Illinois USA on Thursday, May 22, 2003
The BEST BOOK I've read in a LOOONG time!!! Written by both mother and son; the son, Sean, is autistic. As I WORK with autistic children, this was absolutely WONDERFUL. And I've used some of Sean's words as an assignment... showing what thought processes I relate to (a lot of self-hatred and cognitive distortions on my part...) My eyes DEFINATLY were NOT dry when reading this... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entry 4 by bflybabe from Palos Hills, Illinois USA on Thursday, July 17, 2003
Now an international bookring.

Current Participants:
bflybabe -- Illinois, USA (me)
Elexius -- Ohio, USA
solittletime -- Maine, USA (international okay)
TexasWren -- Texas, USA
pchemphd -- Florida, USA (internationally okay)
skcreader -- Virginia, USA (internationally okay)
loopy 1 -- United Kingdom
Theresa-A -- United Kingdom (internationally okay) <----
Dani75 - Germany (internationally okay)
fio-dagua -- Portugal
Zyana -- Portugal (within Europe)
Annelis -- Finland (internationally okay)
Hawkette -- Melbourne, Australia (internationally okay)
spark -- California, USA (internationally okay)
rainbowbabe -- Pennsylvania, USA
bflybabe -- Illinois, USA (me)

(will edit this message as more people sign up)

Journal Entry 5 by Elexius from New Paris, Ohio USA on Thursday, August 14, 2003
Great book. Really enjoyed it!!

Journal Entry 6 by wingsolittletimewing from Portland, Maine USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
I received this book a few days ago and just realized I forgot to make a journal entry.

It is very revealing to read the short explanations the son has added to the lengthier descriptions by his mom of his disruptive behavior and the frustration of the parents.

The cover says it is the "astonishing story of his triumphant emergence from autism" and I am anxiously reading to see if he indeed is able to emerge from the terrible state he is in back in the days when apparently little was known about autism and its treatment. (He was diagnosed at the age of 4 in 1965.)

Journal Entry 7 by wingsolittletimewing from Portland, Maine USA on Thursday, August 21, 2003
A touching and remarkable story of a family tragedy and, of a time when blame for autism was placed firmly on the mother who obviously had "caused" it in some way by her poor parenting, and of a heroic effort on the part of the family and finally on the part of the affected son to find their way to his becoming a functioning member of society.

Journal Entry 8 by wingsolittletimewing from Portland, Maine USA on Wednesday, August 27, 2003
Sent to texaswren today via priority mail.

Journal Entry 9 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Friday, August 29, 2003
I got the book today. I'm going to stop what I was reading and start this one. If you don't mind, bflybabe, I am going to do some taping on the book to try and ensure that it makes it completely around the ring intact. I'll be back soon.

Journal Entry 10 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Tuesday, September 09, 2003
Hmm, well, I liked the book. It was an eye opening view of life with an autistic child. My only wish is that they had devoted more time to his "emergence" from autism. They sort of flashed by that part.
The most amazing part, to me, was how much attitudes have changed. They begged for help, and there was none. How much different their lives would have been today.
Thank you so much for letting me share this book.
I mailed it to the next person this morning.
I taped it up some-it was getting a bit limp, and it's too good a story to chance it falling apart.

Journal Entry 11 by pchemphd from Deland, Florida USA on Thursday, September 11, 2003
Thank you for sending the book to me! I'm adding it to the top of mount TBR.

Journal Entry 12 by pchemphd from Deland, Florida USA on Saturday, September 27, 2003
This is a wonderful, yet painful read. I'm planning on buying a copy of it for my own personal library. This book gives you an inside picture into the frustrations of autism. It was too close to my own personal experiences with my son (who is 6) to be enjoyable, but the window it gave into another family's pain was quite valuable to me. I plan on adding it to my library of books that I lend teachers and friends.

Journal Entry 13 by pchemphd at on Saturday, September 27, 2003
Released on Saturday, September 27, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

I'll be mailing this today to the next lucky reader!

Journal Entry 14 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 02, 2003
received yesterday - thank you!

Journal Entry 15 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 15, 2003
The TBR pile has tipped over....passing this book on to the next person. I skimmed the text - appears to be an informative, unique perspective.

Journal Entry 16 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Friday, October 24, 2003
sending to loopy1 (richardpalmer requested to be removed from the bookring)

Journal Entry 17 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 04, 2003
This book arrived safely this morning, thanks. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 18 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, November 17, 2003
This book was fascinating - I sat and read it in one afternoon, and enjoyed the achievement Sean must have felt in getting on top of his behaviour. A lot of the things described were very familiar to me, but it was great to hear it described from the inside out rather than from the outside in.
I, too, was shocked at the lack of help and support this family received. The difficulty of the mother who by saying her child was unmanageable was bringing down personal criticism was terrible.
Thanks for sharing this :-)

Journal Entry 19 by Theresa-A on Friday, December 12, 2003
I have collected ‘There's A Boy In Here' from the Post Office, along with two other books also from loopy1. I’ll read it and pass it on as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 20 by Theresa-A on Saturday, January 10, 2004
I finished ‘There’s A Boy In Here’ a few days ago. As people have said before, it was an interesting read. The behaviours that Sean’s family found so difficult to understand often, as far as Sean was concerned, had very simple and logical explanations. A lot of the book describes Sean’s and his family’s behaviours and actions. The end of the book tells us what happened to Sean, but I don’t think it was really explained well enough – everything seemed to just happen, but maybe that’s just how it was.

‘There’s A Boy In Here’ will be on the way to Dani75 as soon as I have an address.