Random Acts of Heroic Love

by Danny Scheinmann | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by teachie of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 10/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 14, 2008
RANDOM ACTS OF HEROIC LOVE is a fantastic debut novel by a very talented writer. Scheinmann spent six years writing his debut, and as you read, you can certainly see how it could be viewed as a labour of love. I think this book has been a cathartic experience for Scheinmann, and it just so happens to be a tremendous piece of work.

The book esentially follows two stories - one is of Mortiz Daniecki in 1917. As a survivor of the war, he is captured and put into a POW camp. Yet this is not where his story ends, for what keeps Mortiz fighting to get through the war and back home is the young love he has left behind there, Lotte. Before Moritz heads off to be a soldier, they share a kiss together and it is this kiss that spurs Moritz on; the memory of her sustains him and gives him reason to live. Once he escapes from the camp, Moritz then faces an arduous journey walking his way home, to his love and the life he had before.
The second story is set in 1992 and follows Leo Deakin. At the age of 25, Leo wakes up in hospital having survived a crash whilst travelling in South America. Upon waking, Leo discovers that his girlfriend Eleni did not survive the crash, but he cannot remember anything about it. As he struggles to rebuild his memory of what happened, whilst coming to terms with his loss, you follow him on this journey.

Through these two stories, Scheinmann has managed to explore the many issues of bereavement, love, survival, hope and travelling on physical aswell as philosophical journies in great depth and to great effect. Even if you have never lost a loved one, or been separated from your love, I am sure that you will be able to appreciate and understand the power of the emotions behind this extraordinary novel. What makes it even more so remarkable is that the journey Moritz makes across Russia was actually undertaken by Scheinmann's grandfather. Leo's experience of losing his partner at a young age is also another experience related to Scheinmann, so this knowledge shows just how much of his soul he has exposed within these pages.

I would recommend RANDOM ACTS OF HEROIC LOVE to anyone who believes in the power of love. This is a great book, it shall stay with you long after you have closed the pages.
Review from Amazon

This reader's review says it all - a great book and I shall be looking out for his next book.

Journal Entry 2 by teachie at bus stop in Hughenden Valley, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/14/2008 UTC) at bus stop in Hughenden Valley, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom

On the window inside the pub.

Journal Entry 3 by beckydore from Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, October 16, 2008
Picked up at the Harrow Pub on Tuesday when I met up with teachie and Katybean.

Journal Entry 4 by beckydore from Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, September 03, 2009
I picked up this book to bring with me to my parents, as one that could be read and left behind. It is quite depressing and has some scenes / words which Mum would find unneccessary. I didn't enjoy the start but it grew on me nearer the end. Not sure who I would recommend this one to but I won't be leaving it at Mum's house!

Released 10 yrs ago (9/26/2009 UTC) at Hudson's, 122-124 Colmore Row in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Being released as part of Birmingham boocrossers monthly meet up at Hudsons.
To find out more about bookcrossing in Birmingham, and dates of other meet ups, please join the yahoo group - http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/bcbirmingham

Journal Entry 6 by wyldetwo from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 26, 2009
Picked up at today's meet-up - good to see you Becky!

Journal Entry 7 by wyldetwo from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2009
A dramatic book with both depressing and horrific scenes in it. I enjoyed reading it but I'm not sure the interweaving of the two strands really worked for me.

Journal Entry 8 by wyldetwo at Hudson's, 122-124 Colmore Row in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/28/2009 UTC) at Hudson's, 122-124 Colmore Row in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

I am bringing this book to this afternoon's meet-up. If no-one takes it it will end up on the OBCZ shelves.

Thanks for picking up this book and coming to the BookCrossing website to find out what it's all about. Welcome to the addictive world of BookCrossing!

We look forward to hearing what you thought of this book, and of your plans for it.

Journal Entry 9 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2009
Picked up at the BCBirmingham meetup to put in one of my Official BookCrossing Zones.

This book is being reserved for the Never Judge A Book By Its Cover release challenge 2009 Week 48: Shoes. The cover picture includes a man wearing boots/shoes. The book may be released by me or a fellow BookCrosser.

Journal Entry 10 by weebly from Hartwell, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 30, 2009
I have read another copy of this book, so chose it as a secret Santa gift, but then couldn;t find the darn book!! Lyzzybee to the rescue - thanks so much!

And to my nSS partner - I hope you enjoy the book, and don't cry as much as I did! Get a box of tissues ready.

Released 10 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting for a friend to her Secret Santa recipient! Hope you enjoy!

This book is being released for the Never Judge A Book By Its Cover release challenge 2009 Week 48: Shoes. This is release # 11.

Journal Entry 12 by shewolffe from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 27, 2009
Thank you Santa! And for all the goodies... and I've just finished my last book so think I will start this straight away.

I absolutely loved this book and will now send it on its way for others to enjoy. Thanks again Weebly for such a lovely Secret Santa parcel.