Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text

by Neil Gaiman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 10/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, October 05, 2008
Another self-fulfilment from my wishlist, and another treat from Gaiman's back-catalogue.

(25/10) Finished...quel superb, as always!

Another brilliant fantasy book from Gaiman, probably the only writer in this genre that I regularly read. NG creates a whole alternative universe beneath the streets and on the roofs of London, and other world cities; plenty of opportunities for sequels and prequels? This rich fairytale has everything you might need; good guys and bad guys, monsters and angels, a challenging journey, a coming-of-age, and also some humour, a sort of Pratchett (Discworld) crossed with Narnia. There is even an allegory about the forgotten and dispossessed in society falling through the cracks into ‘London Below’. In the blurb, Gaiman wanted to create a fairytale for adults, and he’s succeeded! One slight gripe, alluded to in the blurb and the chequered history of this novel from TV script and various re-writes; Gaiman feels the need to explain everything, I guess for an American audience, about the tube system (‘Mind the gap’), and the geography and culture of London. A bit patronising, as we are happy to read books set in American, Australia, India, for example, without the need for notes and asides.

Released 11 yrs ago (10/27/2008 UTC) at Bahari hotel reception in Pokhara, Gandaki (incl. Pokhara, Gorkha, Bandipur) Nepal

I forget when I left this...but it was in reception, and has now gone! If you find this
please write a journal entry to let everyone know where it is going to next. Enjoy :)