Change of Heart: A Novel

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 9/29/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 29, 2008
Can we save ourselves, or do we rely on others to do it? Is what we believe always the truth?

One moment June Nealon was happily looking forward to years full of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. Now her life is a waiting game. Waiting for time to heal her wounds, waiting for justice. In short, waiting for a miracle to happen.

For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens that changes everything for him. Now, he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's eleven-year-old daughter, Claire. But between Shay and Claire stretches an ocean of bitter regrets, past crimes, and the rage of a mother who has lost her child.

Would you give up your vengeance against someone you hate if it meant saving someone you love? Would you want your dreams to come true if it meant granting your enemy's dying wish?

Once again, Jodi Picoult mesmerizes and enthralls readers with this story of redemption, justice, and love.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 02, 2011
June Nealon's life has not been easy. Her first husband was killed by a drunken driver and she was left to raise their daughter. June marries the policeman who looked into the accident and is 7 months pregnant when a day labourer kills her husband and her daughter.

Now, twelve years later Shay Bourne is on his last days on the death row. Claire, June's daughter is at death's door because of a faulty heart. Shay wishes to donate his heart to Claire. Other characters include Father Michael a conflicted spiritual adviser and Maggie a competent lawyer and spinster.

This book has elements of other stories in it: The Green Mile by Stephen King and The Chamber by John Grisham. Does this constitute plagiarism? It is a story about religion, the death penalty, salvation, vengeance and regrets. This is a typical Jodi Picoult story even to the twist at the end. I found this story to be quite unbelievable. However, the concepts were interesting to read about and provoked a lot of thought about the issues

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2012
Reading now!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 26, 2012
Shay Bourne is convicted of murdering a young girl and her step-father after having done some contracting work in the household of the Nealons. June Nealon is pregnant with her second child at the time and has to raise Claire without her father or sister. Eleven years later, Shay has exhausted all of his appeals and is scheduled to be killed by lethal injection within the next few months. Taken to the I-tier for his remaining days, Shay learns that June's daughter is in need of a heart transplant and Shay believes that providing her with his heart after he dies is the way to his salvation. Maggie, a lawyer, becomes involved in his case, as does his spiritual advisor, whom also happened to serve on Shay's jury.

Typical to all Picoult novels, this is written in separate voices of a few different characters in this novel. One of them was June and I would have liked to hear more from here as she wasn't featured too much. There was a twist in this book, which I picked up on about 20% through the book but knowing what was going to happen didn't detract from the story. Everything followed Picoult's formula of how she write books. The last time I read one of her books it annoyed me but I think there was a long enough gap between this one and the last one that everything didn't feel completely regurgitated.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 01, 2012
This book is back with me :)

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 10, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books.

Before she passed, she showed me all of her owed books and the books she wanted to give away as RABCKs, making sure that I would send everything on should anything happen. This book was marked for valpete as a RABCK.

Sent today.

Journal Entry 7 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, November 18, 2013
This book has been on quite a journey! Thank you so much for passing this book along to me. My deepest sympathies are with you on the loss of your mother. I will think of her and you as I read this book.