Wrong about Japan

by Peter Carey | Travel |
Registered by MAJO-NEKO of Unknown, somewhere in Tokyo / 不明、東京のどこか, Tokyo-to Japan on 9/27/2008
Journal Entry 1 by MAJO-NEKO from Unknown, somewhere in Tokyo / 不明、東京のどこか, Tokyo-to Japan on Saturday, September 27, 2008
Book given to me by someone in my class

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 08, 2009
A friend who works in the university library and knows I'm a bookcrosser dropped this off to me today - apparently it had been put in the library's returns box.

Looks interesting, so I might read it before re-releasing it.

v

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, January 30, 2009
A fascinating look at Japan through the eyes of a writer and his son who go in search of their anime and manga heroes (and stumble across a little of the "Real Japan"), only to discover that everything they thought they knew about the country is wrong.

I was amused to read one of the many possible translations of otaku: "...socially inept information junkies who rarely leave their homes, preferring to interface with the world via data-banks, modems and faxes." A long way from our own Otakuu! :-)

v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, January 30, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/30/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to Lytteltonwitch at this morning's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 5 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/25/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Put aside for the 2009 convention - I have skimmed thro the book and it was really interesting.

Would love all bookcrossers to come to the
2009 WORLD CONVENTION and welcome you to our beautiful country in April 2009.

Journal Entry 6 by Chch2009-Con from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, February 25, 2009
To be added to the books reserved for the convention

Journal Entry 7 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Saturday, April 18, 2009
I think I've looked at this in a bookshop before. Picked up partly through curiousity and partly because I may be able to finish it in time to release in NZ.

Journal Entry 8 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Thursday, April 23, 2009
Read a couple of chapters of this before releasing - picked up too many books at the convention to be able to read all I want to.

While it is interesting, I fear the author might still be "wrong about Japan". One niggly bit is that he says gaijin literally means barbarian. But if you look at the two kanji making up the word, it means outside person - either he's wrong about Japanese, doesn't understand the word "literally", or I don't know what barbarian literally means.

Journal Entry 9 by nut at Stuart Street in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, April 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/23/2009 UTC) at Stuart Street in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

Left on the little roofed table with the menu outside Minami Japanese restaurant in Stuart St.

Journal Entry 10 by brigitross on Friday, November 06, 2009
I caught the book in a small Japanese restaurant called Minami, in Dunedin. I have read it, and being an anime fan, I found it interesting. I plan to leave it in Auckland airport when I go there next month, or on a bus.