Howards End

by E.M. Forster | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0553212087 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winghippoleinwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 9/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, September 25, 2008
Product Description
What makes this masterpiece a pure delight for contemporary readers is its vibrant portrait of life in Edwardian England, and the wonderful characters who inhabit the charming old country house in Hertfordshire called Howards End. This cozy house becomes the object of an inheritance dispute between the upright conservative Wilcox family and the Schlegel sisters, Margaret and Helen, sensitive and intuitive women loved by men willing to leap wide social barriers to fulfill their ardor. Through romantic entanglements, disappearing wills, and sudden tragedy, the conflict over the house emerges as a symbolic struggle for England’s future. Rich with the tradition, spirit, and wit distinctively English, Howards End is a remarkable novel of rare insight and understanding. As in his celebrated A Passage to India, E. M. Forster brings to vivid life a country and an era through the destinies of his unforgettable characters.

Journal Entry 2 by winghippoleinwing at Holiday Gift Giving, Holiday Gift Giving -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/21/2008 UTC) at Holiday Gift Giving, Holiday Gift Giving -- Controlled Releases

Small extra as early Holiday Gift Giving going to the UK.
Enjoy this classic!

Journal Entry 3 by Vekiki from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Recieved today - thankyou so much!

Journal Entry 4 by Vekiki from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 09, 2009
This took me ages to read - though I enjoy Forster's work I find it very hard to get into

Released 10 yrs ago (7/25/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I sent this out with a bookring book as I spotted it on the next participants wishlist - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Thank you very much for sending this to me, it's a very kind gesture. Have a big pile of rings to read at the moment, but I do like Forster's work, so this could be quite high up the TBR pile! Thank you again.

Journal Entry 7 by Fluffy-Owl at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 23, 2010
Really didn't enjoy this. I've found his work hard to read in the past, and to get into, but this was just too hard and for me, boring. Am disappointed, I had high hopes of it!

Journal Entry 8 by Fluffy-Owl at Barnado's in Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, February 02, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (2/2/2018 UTC) at Barnado's in Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom

Donated to charity.