Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

by Stephenie Meyer | Teens |
Registered by wingthegoaliegirlwing of Vancouver, Washington USA on 9/24/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2008
I picked this up at a thrift store and thought it looked interesting, before I heard all the hype about the book. Loved this book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Since this book seems so popular, I would like to turn this book into a book ray.

To help ensure that things run smoothly (or that is the plan anyhow), I've put together a few rough guidelines for this one. I know that some people take longer to read a book (busy, got a bunch of books to read before, work, etc)...

1. Please try to have this book read within 3 weeks. I know this isn't possible, but if you make an effort to try that is all I can ask.

2. Please journal when you receive the book.

3. When about halfway through, please contact the next person on the list for their mailing address.

4. Please journal again when you've read the book and it is on its way to the next reader.

5. Have fun! Reading is supposed to be fun!

6. To the last person in the ray: Please keep this book moving... RABCK it, give it to a friend, etc... just please keep it moving once you're done reading it. Thanks!

Sending order:
ladybug74-AL (US only)
snapdragongirl- TX (US only) ***skipped***
krl112- NJ (Int)
mysticalzoe- ME (Int)
carelaisa- Canada (N America preferred, Int ok)
ajsmom- BC, Canada (Int ok)
missgyder-NY (US only) *skipped*
rebeccaljames- OH (US) <--- book is here

If interested, please PM with your location and shipping preferences (will you ship internationally). I'll PM back. If you don't hear from me, then I didn't get your PM.

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 29, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/27/2008 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This is going out to JerrilynnL to start this bookray!Happy reading to everyone!

Journal Entry 4 by JerrilynnL from Denver, Colorado USA on Monday, October 06, 2008
Received for the start of a book ray. Will read it next. Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 5 by JerrilynnL from Denver, Colorado USA on Thursday, October 16, 2008
I admit I was a little disappointed with the beginning of this book. I enjoyed the story but it moved really slow until close to the end. It's a hefty novel and there's too much build up. Granted it was written for someone a little younger. But I am looking forward to seeing the movie and reading the next books in this series. Thanks for sharing, thegoaliegirl. :-)

Journal Entry 6 by JerrilynnL at Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 16, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/16/2008 UTC) at Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to ekgv414

Journal Entry 7 by ekgv414 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Just arrived today, and perfect timing! I was already planning to force myself to buckle down and finish this really long book I've been working on. So I hope I'll be able to get started on this one right away and then pass it along soon.

Thanks to JerrilynL for sending the book here, and to the goaliegirl for starting this ray. :)

Journal Entry 8 by ekgv414 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 13, 2008
I agree with Jerrilyn that this moved slowly and was clearly not written with me as the target demographic. So I won't hold the "teen feel" against it. The thing that did bug me was how the whole premise is based on a fantastical exaggeration of the whole "girls are attractive when they're vulnerable and helpless, boys are attractive when they protect and save us" thing. The vampire plot point makes it kind of unavoidable on Edward's side, of course he's going to be super-powered, but I didn't like how Bella can hardly walk without injuring herself for some reason. Does she have to be that clumsy and hapless?

I don't like when books present this kind of overbearing relationship to teenage girls as the best kind of romance. But maybe I'm a overly-sensitive on this issue. ;)

The other, more nit-picky thing that bugged me was that the high school had multiple buildings and the kids walked outside between classes. I know lots of schools in warm climates have open, outdoor campuses, and I know some very large high schools just can't be housed in one building. But Forks is TINY! And it rains or snows nearly every day! They couldn't build one building to house their very small student population? It just seemed so odd to me. Anyone here go to a small, northern school that was outdoors like this? Just curious!

Having said all that, though, the story did suck me in. (Suck! No pun intended!) So I'll be looking forward to the rest of the books, to see where this goes.

Sending out to Leah / Llednyl today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by Llednyl from Marysville, Ohio USA on Monday, November 17, 2008
Came today, thanks! I didn't realize this was such a hefty book! I have one bookring I'm in the middle of right now, but this will be next on the list.

Journal Entry 10 by Llednyl from Marysville, Ohio USA on Friday, November 21, 2008
Its been a long time since a book captured my interest enough that I could read it nonstop. I was quite surprised by it actually... part of me (the awful book snob part) expected it to be poorly written, page-turning, bestselling trash. While I wouldn't call it a masterpiece of American literature, it was pretty good. I have a feeling I would have loved it at about 14 years old. But I think it says something about the book when I can still appreciate it at 21. There were a couple things that got on my nerves - one was the previously mentioned clumsiness of Bella. Did she really have to be that clumsy? I mean come on... it made me picture her as shuffling around slightly pigeon-toed all the time. The other thing was the naivety and perfectness of Edward and Bella's love for each other. I didn't so much mind the strong male/weak female distinction, but I really did mind the portrayal of falling in love with someone, truly believing he/she is your soulmate, and yet knowing virtually nothing about that person. That's lust, not love. I might expect it of a 17 year old girl, but not of a hundred year old vampire. I would have enjoyed it more if there was some sort of twist in the plot that made them absolutely destined to be together for some other reason... but I don't know. I guess I have to read the other books to find out!

I will send this off as soon as I receive an address from the next recipient.

Journal Entry 11 by Llednyl at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (12/3/2008 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Couldn't get a hold of rebeccaljames, so sent on to zosime today.

Journal Entry 12 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, January 03, 2009
I am so sorry, here I am ready to pass this book along and I realize I never told you all I received it! Terrible.

In any case, I quite enjoyed the story. As a horrifyingly clumsy person who broke a thumb tripping over a dog and detached a rather important ligament trying to step off a curb, I actually found Bella's clumsiness one of the more charming bits of the book. It brought back lovely memories of gym class, when being hit in the head by flying balls had become so expected that I instinctively ducked when they came toward me instead of trying to catch them. My mother got a kick out of those parts of the book as well.

This is not amazing writing but it is pretty good storytelling and kept me obsessively turning pages in a way I haven't experienced in a while. The book brought out the silly adolescent girl who still lives in a corner of my head. I loved it. Certainly looking forward to the next volume.

1/5 edit: mailed today to the next reader

Journal Entry 13 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Friday, January 09, 2009
Is next to be read. If all goes my way, I'll start it this weekend! Can't wait for this one.

Journal Entry 14 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Thursday, January 15, 2009
Seems like just about everyone I know has urged me to read this series of books. Maybe it's the middle school teacher in me that wants to be able to relate to my students, maybe I'm a sucker for a good love story. Either way, this book sucked me right in. . .couldn't put it down and stayed up way past bedtime to finish it. No it isn't the greatest piece of American literature as previously mentioned but it is an excellent way to escape from reality for a few hours and indulge your inner teenager! Looking very forward to reading the next book.

Journal Entry 15 by PalmettoBuckeye at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 17, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Off to ladybug74 with one tidbit of advice. . .make sure you have a block of time reserved for this one. You won't be able to put it down. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
I received this bookray in today's mail and will get started on it tonight. I look forward to starting this series that I've heard so much about lately.

Journal Entry 17 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Saturday, January 24, 2009
This was a wonderful book. I honestly wasn't sure if I even wanted to read this one, but all of the recent publicity made me curious. I stayed up a couple of nights reading this with my flashlight so I wouldn't keep my husband up too late. Now I can't wait to read the next one.

Journal Entry 18 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, January 25, 2009
I contacted snapdragongirl and she replied that she would like to be skipped because she has another copy of this book. I have sent a PM to the next person requesting a mailing address.

Journal Entry 19 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 26, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/26/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed to the next bookring participant, krl112

Journal Entry 20 by krl112 from Hawthorne, New Jersey USA on Sunday, February 01, 2009
The book is here! I'm very excited to start reading it. I just started a new book yesterday, but I'm going to put that book aside and start this one this afternoon. It is a big book (almost 500 pages) but the print seems fairly large. I'm going to contact the next person in line for their address so I can pass it on right away when I'm finished.

Thank you so much for including me in this bookray, thegoaliegirl!

Journal Entry 21 by krl112 from Hawthorne, New Jersey USA on Monday, February 16, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. I finished it a few days ago, and I cannot wait to read the next book. Although it is a young adult novel, I found it to be well written and very interesting. When these books first became popular, I was not interested because the concept of vampires really does not interest me. I found the characters and the mystery of their lives to be so compelling that it was truly difficult to set down. It is rare that you come across a book that can hold your attention, even when there are so many other things going on. When I wasn't reading the book, I was often thinking about the characters and I couldn't wait to get back to the book. I'm sure there will be many more people who will enjoy this book as much as I did.

Thank you very much for sharing this book as a bookring, thegoaliegirl!

Journal Entry 22 by krl112 at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 16, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (2/17/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way by post to the next person in the bookring: mysticalzoe. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by mysticalzoe from Gardiner, Maine USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
I just received this in the mail, like 5 minutes ago, it looks interesting. Thanks for sending!!

3-9-09
UGH! I did not like this book at all, and I cannot finish the book. The book is way too childish for me, would have been great if I was 16 years old but since I am 31, it just didn't do it for me. To me there was no plot in the book, and I kept wondering what is the point in this book, besides the fact that Bella is obsessed with some vampire whom she has a love/hate relationship with?

Anyway I will be mailing this out by Friday, and I would like to removed from the rest of the books. Thanks again for sharing.

3-10-09

carelaisa said she already read the book and asked to be skipped, so I am pming next person in line.

Journal Entry 24 by mysticalzoe at Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Friday, March 20, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (3/20/2009 UTC) at Quesnel, British Columbia Canada

Finally sending this off to ajsmom, sorry it took so long!! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Monday, April 06, 2009
Book is here, along with some beautiful bookmarks! I will get to as soon as I can - I have a local book club book to finish first though, so it might take me the whole month.

Journal Entry 26 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Friday, April 10, 2009
What a fun read! This book made a liar of me, as I sat down to have a look and ended up reading the whole thing! Vampires aren't usually my thing, so what is it that caught and held my attention? I think her character development and her descriptions of places. I did skim in a few places, but as I felt it to be a guilty pleasure kind of read, I didn't worry about it.

PMing next in line!

ETA April 15: missgyder has read the book, so now PM'ing rebeccaljames.

Journal Entry 27 by ajsmom at Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Monday, April 20, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/20/2009 UTC) at Quesnel, British Columbia Canada

Sent via air mail to rebeccaljames.

Journal Entry 28 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I received this book a while ago. Since I am last on the list I'm going to catch up on my reading before reading this one. I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 29 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 02, 2010
I have reserved this book for a bookray. This will be an international bookray. If you are interested in joining please PM me and I will add you to the list. Here is the current list. It may change depending on where individuals are willing to ship. Please send shipping preference if you want to join.

-mlcylau - Malaysia (International)
-hingrald - Sweden (International)
-zimort - Norway (International)
-MommaMia2008 - Alabama (US)
-eressea - Wiscousin (US)
-back to me rebeccaljames so I can ship to Australia
-xtrdnry - Australia (Australia)
-sorcha-sidhe - Australia (Australia)

Rules for bookray.
*Please make a journal entry as soon as you receive the book.
*Please, take as long as you need to read the book just remember others are waiting.
*Make another journal entry when you have finished reading the book.
*PM the next person on the list to get their mailing address.
*If you are the last person on the list, either release into the wild or re bookray/ring.

This will be going out to mlcylau soon.

Journal Entry 30 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, January 17, 2010
This book will be mailed out on Tuesday.