The Rapture of Canaan

by Sheri Reynolds | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by quinnsmom of Hobe Sound, Florida USA on 4/19/2003
Journal Entry 1 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Saturday, April 19, 2003
I read this a long long time ago when it first came out and it was good, but a very haunting novel. Now it is available

Journal Entry 2 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Sunday, September 07, 2003
to phillycarol, another bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by phillycarol from King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2003
Received in the mail over the weekend. Thanks quinnsmom! :)

Journal Entry 4 by phillycarol from King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, October 27, 2003
I enjoyed this book but the whole cult-like aspect was scary. How did the grandfather's life change so much that he created a new religion? Even though this is fiction, I'm sure there are people out there like that. Scary.

Journal Entry 5 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, January 29, 2004
Thanks, Carol! I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll keep it crossing after I'm done.

Offered on CasualReader's BookRelay site in the Oprah, Ballantine, Today's Book Club Relay.

Accepted by: felicia fairy

Journal Entry 6 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 14, 2004
Finished just now. This was really quite an interesting story. I find it infinitely scary that there are people out there that have such a twisted view of what it means to love God.

The most striking thing about the characters was that many of them were so conflicted. They sinned, of course, as everyone does, and also frequently rebelled against the iron-handed rule of their community, but often submitted to uncomfortable punishments with something almost like relief. Fascinating.

Ninah's sexual relationship with James was treated in an insightful way. My favorite line in the book came when she and James had sex for the first time, only she believed, that it was Jesus speaking through him. "And then God spoke. Really fast. And then I knew him like I'd never known him before." I was struck by the discovery that Ninah and James took turns deluding themselves and each other about the rightness of what they were doing.

I also wanted to note the complex relationship between all the family members. They live in this community that has such harsh rules, and it seems that they all spend quite a bit of energy scrutinizing and even judging each other over the slightest bit of unholiness. Yet, it's easy to see that every family member feels a lot of love for the others, and can laugh together and enjoy each other's company easily. Interesting, and well done, Sheri Reynolds.

I'm glad I read this book. Thanks for sharing it with me, Carol, and I hope you enjoy it too, Felicia.

Released on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

Off to Australia! Sorry for the delay. Hope you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 8 by emmafiles from Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on Thursday, April 08, 2004
Received today - thanks!

Update:
This was an absolutely beautiful book - the characters were haunting and the community of people so intriguing.
A great read!

Journal Entry 9 by emmafiles at Bazaar Furniture - Greenfields in Mackay, Queensland Australia on Sunday, September 19, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (9/18/2004 UTC) at Bazaar Furniture - Greenfields in Mackay, Queensland Australia

Went to the grand opening of this beautiful store on Sunday and was inspired to leave a book there.
The book is hiding in the top drawer of a bedside table, somewhere in the store.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Sarni from Mackay, Queensland Australia on Saturday, September 25, 2004
After a busy day working in our new store I discovered this lovely book during my clean up. What a nice surprise! I related to the story in many ways, and have released it back into the wild for another to enjoy.

Journal Entry 11 by Juliatheyounger from Mackay, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 21, 2004
The book was put through our Library returns shute...maybe we'll put it on the shelf and see if anyone takes it, or maybe one of the staff will be interested in reading it.

CAUGHT IN MACKAY QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA

Journal Entry 12 by Juliatheyounger at Centro Toombul Shopping Centre in Toombul, Queensland Australia on Monday, September 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/28/2009 UTC) at Centro Toombul Shopping Centre in Toombul, Queensland Australia

Finally released this book, it's been hiding on my book shelf since we moved from Mackay (oops)