A Fraction of the Whole

by Steve Toltz | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jubby of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 9/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 15, 2008
Taken from www.abbeys.com.au:

Meet the Deans.

'The fact is, the whole of Australia despises my father more than any other man, just as they adore my uncle more than any other man. I might as well set the story straight about both of them.'

Heroes or criminals? Crackpots of visionaries? Relatives or enemies? It's a simple family story...

From the New South Wales bush to bohemian Paris, from sports fields to strip clubs, from the jungles of Thailand to a leaky boat in the Pacific, A Fraction of the Whole follows the Deans on their freewheeling, scathingly funny and finally deepy moving quest to leave their mark on the world.

This copy is going out as a bookring, part of Fleebo's '2008 Short listed Booker Challenge'.
Bookring order:

livrecache
star-light
FreePages
jubby

Journal Entry 2 by jubby at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/16/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Fleebo.

Journal Entry 3 by Fleebo on Tuesday, September 23, 2008
A 900g book in a 500g post satchel? Audacious! I don't think I'll try that when it's my turn to send it on.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by Fleebo on Sunday, November 23, 2008
This is a pretty entertaining book, although it is much too long. Part One was an absolute romp, and I loved it, but at the end of it I thought "That was a great book. Ended a bit suddenly. Wait... what's this other 500 pages here for?"
I don't much approve of having more than one narrator in the first person, (hello, "The Historian"?) and Martin's diary in Part Two put me off quite a bit. "Crackpots or visionaries?" Crackpots, the lot of them, most definitely. Martin reminded me somewhat of Blue's dad in "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" (philosopher, cynic and professional bore) but he really was just nuts, I'm sure of it. His decisions were just too crazy, and I won't even go into his wonderful ideas!
The book is full of wonderfully quotable lines, though, such as "There has yet to a great democratic nation because there has yet to be a great bunch of people." Priceless.
Altogether, it's a bit jumbled to be a Booker winner, plus it's so very full of Aussie cultural cringe that I imagine that the judges would mostly have been going, "Huh?"
Thanks for the opportunity to read it!

Journal Entry 5 by miss-jo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Were the judges going on weight this year? This is the second enormous Booker book I've read and I'm starting to get RSI from carrying them!

After Fleebo's description, I was concerned that the blurb on the front of the book ("As big and rangy as Australia") meant "kinda pretty, has some interesting parts ...and some really boring flat bits in the middle".

And the bit where I somehow missed about 100 pages in the middle and it took me another 50 to realise it? That makes it sound far worse than it really was. It was well-written, with a dryly witty style that I really enjoyed. I just could have done with a little less of it.

Journal Entry 6 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 22, 2008
Thanks Miss-Jo, the brick-disguised-as-a-book turned up today! (To tell the truth, I was hoping it'd turn up after Christmas, so as to minimise my "I should be reading bookrings!" over summer. Damned efficient Australia Post.)

I'll get onto this one asap. But don't hold your breath waiting. ;)

Journal Entry 7 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 01, 2010
No, I have not forgotten about this one. But now, after a year of thinking "yes, I must read that one next" I have finally (and not a moment too soon! although maybe 12 months too late) realised that I am NOT going to get around to reading this one. The road to being a staller of bookrings is paved with good intentions...

I've already organised to pass this along to goodthinkingmax. Sorry everyone that it gathered dust here for so long, but it should be travelling again soon.

Journal Entry 8 by tqd at Broadway, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/17/2010 UTC) at Broadway, New South Wales Australia

And after a lot of confusion (all at my end), this is finally in the post to Sujie, as goodthinkingmax has already read it.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 9 by wingJingJoOBCZwing from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 23, 2010
Sorry, tqd, I received this a week ago and I just realised I didn't log it on. Real life is hectic and I think it'll be a while before I get to this and a while to read it, too, it seems. Thanks.
P.S. Oh, dear, that's my OBCZ screen name. It's Sujie here.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 14, 2010
Sorry, jubby and all, I can't believe I've had this brick so long.
I'll PM livrecache immediately as obviously I haven't picked it up to read and I'm off o/s soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Sujie at Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 20, 2010
livrecache has her own copy so has passed on this one, and I've pmed star-light. I am about to go o/s for six weeks so if starlight doesn't get back by Tuesday there will be a long wait....sorry if this happens.

Journal Entry 12 by star-light at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Received today. Thanks Sujie, and enjoy your trip!

Journal Entry 13 by star-light at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, October 02, 2010
What a pleasant surprise! This was far from the chore I expected. I found once I made a start, I flew through the pages. Yes, there were some boring bits in the middle and at times the philosophical ramblings put me off, but there were enough witty lines, crazy ideas, and general wackiness to to make up for it.

This was so different to anything else I have read recently and I found it quite refreshing.

And I think this wraps up the 2008 challenge for me!

I'll PM FreePages and send the book on once I have an address.

Journal Entry 14 by star-light at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Sunday, November 14, 2010
And after hiccups with the PM system, this book is finally on its way to FreePages.

Journal Entry 15 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, January 02, 2011
Whoops- the end of 2010 was just a bit crazy and so I forgot to journal one or two books. My New Years Resolution - to catch up with my reading. By the size of this one I might not make it my first bookcrossing book read in 2011.
Thanks for sending it on star-light and thanks to Jubby for the ring :)
UPDATED 19 July 2011: The book is still here and still holds it's place in the queue. I've had a 6month hiatus with some eye trouble - hope to be back on track and reading through my Mount Toobie now :)

Journal Entry 16 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, January 09, 2012
Oh dear!
So much for NY resolutions!
I am really keen to read this one this year, it being the Australian National Year of Reading, and I'm keen to read more Aussie fiction, so I think when I finish my Orange January reading this will be up next.