The Wise Woman: A Novel

by Philippa Gregory | Romance |
Registered by PepeLePew of Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on 9/10/2008
Journal Entry 1 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Wednesday, September 10, 2008
From the back cover:

"In this book, originally published after her bestselling debut with the Wideacre trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory takes readers to Henry VIII's England, on a journey to the outer reaches of passion, where magic and female power meet.

Alys joins a nunnery to escape the poverty of her life on the moor with her foster mother, Morach, the local wise woman with whom she lives as an outcast, but she soon finds herself thrown back into the world when Henry VIII's wreckers destroy her sanctuary. Summoned to the castle as the old lord's scribe, she falls obsessively in love with his son Hugo, who is married to Catherine. Driven to desperation by her desire, she summons the most dangerous powers Morach has taught her, but soon the passionate triangle of Alys, Hugo, and Catherine begins to explode, launching them into uncharted sexual waters. The magic Alys has conjured now has a life of its own -- a life that is horrifyingly and disastrously out of control.

Is she a witch? Since heresy means the stake, and witchcraft the rope, Alys is in mortal danger, treading a perilous path between her faith and her own female power."

An interesting story, though nowhere near Philippa Gregory's usual standard. I expected much more. It is skillfully written, but story lacks in depth. All in all, worth a read, but not my favourite Philippa Gregory book.

Journal Entry 2 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Monday, September 15, 2008
I'm going to send this book on the International Bookring. All the usual rules apply:
-journal the book when it arrives
-read the book in one month (if you need more time, let us know)
-journal the book to let us know what you thought about it
-PM the next person for their address
-send the book to the next person on the list and let us know when you do that

Participants (order may change due to shipping preferences):

AgnesXNitt (UK) - Europe
Tori58 (USA) - international
shpriz1 (USA) - international
darkpunkangel (Canada) - international
back to Pepe :)

Journal Entry 3 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Thursday, October 02, 2008
Mailed to AgnesXNitt today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 09, 2008
Received yesterday in the post. Looks interesting! Will crack on with soonest.
Thanks for hosting Jana a.k.a. PepeLePew :)

Journal Entry 5 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 14, 2008
This was certainly different to the other Phillipa Gregory novels I had read before, and I found it heavier going as a result.
The plot had premise and I was looking forward to seeing what happened. I had a hope that Alys would retain her peaceful ways, but sadly it did not happen.
So early in a ring is obviously not the time to be throwing away plot devices and directions so all I will say is it was a novel of highs and lows for me, and the ending was sadly all that probably could happen without the lead character losing all credibility.
Thank you for hosting this one PepeLePew :)
Am PM'ing kbmarsh for her address and will get this one on its way soonest.

Journal Entry 6 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Posted yesterday (Tuesday 14th October) from Brampton Post Office.
Happy Travels 'Wise Woman' and thanks for the swift response to my Addy Seeking PM kbmarsh :)

Journal Entry 7 by kbmarsh from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, October 26, 2008
This book has arrived and I have just started reading it

Journal Entry 8 by kbmarsh at Washington, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, November 02, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (11/2/2008 UTC) at Washington, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

On to Angela now. Enjoy reading!

Journal Entry 9 by Angel135 from Old Washington Village, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Received the book as part of a book ring, really looking forward to starting it.I am finding I have no time to read the book At the moment , feeling under the weather so posting the book to the next on the book list when I receive the address.

Did not find the time to read this book ,so have posted it onto the next bookcrosser onthe bookring list.Hope it is enjoyed by meny other crossers.

Journal Entry 11 by teggers from Mansfield, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Recieved in the post a few days ago. Looking forward to reading, once the end of semester rush of work is done.

Journal Entry 12 by teggers at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (12/17/2008 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent off to the next person in the ring. Hope it gets there alright and Happy Holidays.

Journal Entry 13 by Ruddock1980 on Monday, February 16, 2009
Apologises for the lateness of this registration but had big family problems, I am hoping to read this in the next week

Journal Entry 14 by Ruddock1980 on Thursday, May 07, 2009
Another fine display of phillippa gregory literature. sent on to Mizuchy in Romania today 07/05/09 Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 15 by lostbookisland on Sunday, January 17, 2010
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.