Kingdom of This World

by Alejo Carpentier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by katrinat of Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on 9/7/2008
Journal Entry 1 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 07, 2008
I had real problems getting into this book and ended up giving up, I am going to be adding it to the Latin American bookbox as I know it is considered a classic and is highly rated and regarded as one of the first examples of magic realism. Hopefully someone else will take it and enjoy it.

Journal Entry 2 by katrinat at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, September 13, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/13/2008 UTC) at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Apparently a classic!

Journal Entry 3 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, December 05, 2008
Picked up this book from soffitta1's Latin American bookbox. As it is a book from the 1001 books you must read before you die list, I had to take it out :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, October 19, 2009
I liked this book, should probably have read it in Spanish, but I have enjoyed it. As with all the books that have magical realism in them, there are parts of it that are difficult to grasp. I am glad to have read it, though.

Thanks a lot, katrinat, for having shared this with me.

I am reserving it for soffitta1's Oceania and Islands bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by Tubereader at Canary Wharf, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/13/2010 UTC) at Canary Wharf, Greater London United Kingdom

The book has been included in soffitta1's Oceania and Islands bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 30, 2010
Arrived in bookbox, I have read this one, so plan for it to go back out in a bookbox in the summer.

Journal Entry 7 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, December 27, 2010

Thanks so much for your donation soffitta1!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 8 by wingsoffitta1wing at Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Selected by Caroley from the 1001-Library UK VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Received today thanks.

Journal Entry 10 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2012
This just came in handy for the Country hopping challenge being set in Haiti. It was quite a brutal book and packed quite a punch for something so short. An interesting book but I have to admit that I'm glad it wasn't longer.

Back to the 1001 library.

Journal Entry 11 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 20, 2012

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Caroley:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 12 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/1/2012 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sending to Danielle as part of the 1001 VBB. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 13 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, May 03, 2012
The book is here safely and after reading the journal entries I am looking forward to seeing what I make of it.

Journal Entry 14 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 08, 2012
I enjoyed this book, which surprised me a little after reading the previous journal entries. I found it easy to read and loved the magic found within the first part of the book. I enjoyed following Ti Noel through his life and through the different stages of Haiti and its rule; the stories of Macandal, his life as a slave on the plantation of M. Lenormand de Mezy and his life under the rule of King Henri Christophe.

A quick read and another to be ticked off the list. Now heading back to the library.

Journal Entry 15 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Danielle23:)

Journal Entry 16 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, September 21, 2013
Off to it's next reader xx

Journal Entry 17 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, October 13, 2013
Thanks for sending this Danielle.