Charity Girl

by Georgette Heyer | Romance |
Registered by Pixette of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 12/10/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Pixette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 10, 2008
ISBN: 0330028634

Picked up at a lifeline bookfair.

Georgette Heyer is always fun.

Released 8 yrs ago (5/10/2011 UTC) at Crown Hotel/Upstairs Library Bar in Sydney, New South Wales Australia

To be released at the monthly bookcrossing meetup

Journal Entry 3 by Fleebo at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 12, 2011
An orphan adopted after the monthly meetup. Thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by tqd at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Yay! Georgette Heyer! Grabbed this one quickly when it appeared at BookDrinks tonight. Thanks Pixette & Fleebo!

Journal Entry 5 by tqd at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 12, 2011
When one has a headcold, there is no more delightful cure than to curl up with a pot of tea and a Georgette Heyer book.

In Charity Girl, young Cherry runs away from her awful aunt, who is only looking after her because she provides free labour around the house. And she runs smack bang into the charming rake Lord Desford. His chivalrous nature means that he's not keen to return her to her aunt, and so begins a rather tangled plot of running around, trying to find someone to take care of young, silly, Cherry, without ruining her - or Lord Desford's - reputation.

I always love Heyer's attention to detail with all the Georgian slang (I wonder if there's a dictionary of Georgian slang out there; I can get the meaning from the context, but I'd love to know where it all comes from) and the fashions. I've wasted many an hour Googling "Petersham Trousers" since reading this book. And always slightly-unpredictable plots, which adds to the amusement value - I never quite get it right from the opening chapters, unlike other romances. But they're not really romances, are they?

There was the occasional almost over-long dialogue in Charity Girl, but that was because she wrote a very nasty character and I wasn't happy to be spending time with him. But I had to, because he was driving the plot at one stage!

And the question that I can't help but ponder right now: why doesn't the BBC do some Heyer adaptations? It'd be a nice change from Jane Austen or Miss Marple.

Journal Entry 6 by tqd at Crown Hotel, Elizabeth St in Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/14/2012 UTC) at Crown Hotel, Elizabeth St in Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia

Releasing at BookDrinks tonight!

Happy hunting/reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingawaywithfairieswing at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Picked up at Book Drinks.

Journal Entry 8 by wingawaywithfairieswing at Alfred Square Gardens in St Kilda, Victoria Australia on Friday, April 06, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/6/2012 UTC) at Alfred Square Gardens in St Kilda, Victoria Australia

Left on a park bench facing the war memorial column in the centre of the park.

Journal Entry 9 by gommins at Mount Martha, Victoria Australia on Friday, April 06, 2012
Thank you to who ever gave me the opportunity to read and enjoy this books journey. I was taking my grandaughter for a walk in St Kilda whilst on hols for the Easter. And came across your book. I will enjoy reading it, and will review the book once read. And pass this on to someone else to read. I am from the UK so this book could travel extensively. I presently live in Mount Martha whilst working on a visa. Thank you again.