The Pedant in the Kitchen

by Julian Barnes | Cooking, Food & Wine |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/30/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, August 30, 2008
"...a witty and practical account of Julian Barnes' search for gastronomic precision'

He sounds like me, a slavish follower-of-recipes! But JB is also a fine writer, funny and clever, so this should be good.

(18/09) This is a light soufflé of a book, linking together a number of essays on the pitfalls of cooking - and entertaining, and food-buying - from someone who is looking for rules, consistency, logic... Aren’t we all!

The only problem is, I suspect that SB isn’t just an amateur cook with pedantic tendencies – in which case I would feel a lot of empathy - but he’s possibly an aspiring professional cook with obsessive-compulsive tendencies! He knows far too much about various chefs (or should I say food writers?) and their work, including asking Sophie Grigson’s advice over the phone. I like to cook, I like to follow a recipe, but given that, cooking is just about preparing food for consumption? Good fun, but the soufflé did fall a little flat with too much hand-wringing about what constitutes a medium onion and a handful of stawberries.

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Cafe Nero, 12-16 Southgate in Halifax, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/8/2008 UTC) at Cafe Nero, 12-16 Southgate in Halifax, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

I was very pleased to see free books in CN, even if they are not bookcrossing ;) I will leave this somewhere in the coffee shop later today after giving blood.

If you find this book, welcome to BookCrossing! Please make a journal entry on www.bookcrossing.com to tell everyone about the book's onward journey...