Getting Out: A Novel ---JOIN THIS BOOKRAY

by Gwendolen Gross | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kbgoffe of Beaverton, Oregon USA on 4/14/2003
Journal Entry 1 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Monday, April 14, 2003
When I first checked this book out from the library I had no idea I would like it so much that I would end up buying two copies. One copy is for me to keep and the second of course is for bookcrossing.

I just really felt connected to the main character Hannah Blue. I could totally relate to how she felt after her first hike with the Adventurer's Club. I truly understood how she at first thought she would be crazy to ever do another hike but then found herself addicted to hiking. It certainly brings a release from life especially when all your family members seem to be in turmoil.

This is an excellent book! I also read her first novel, "Field Guide," and enjoyed it too. I look forward to reading more of her works in the future.

--------------------
Here is a book description from Booklist:

Gross' second novel opens with heroine Hannah Blue's first trip with a local outdoors group, the Adventurers' Club. She can barely keep up with the others in the group, and she's never been so sore, but as soon as it's over, she's dying to go again. Her boyfriend, Ben, doesn't understand why she's so drawn to the wilderness and, consequently, spends so much time away from him. Hannah's quirky family is a lot to handle as well: her brother, Ted, and his pregnant wife are getting divorced; her 21-year-old sister, Marla, might be getting married; and her father is once again claiming to have a chronic, and this time fatal, illness. Unable and unwilling to deal with her family, and concerned that Ben wants more than she can give, Hannah spends more and more time going on trips with the Adventurers' Club. Hannah must ultimately decide whether to pull away from her family and Ben or balance them with her new interests in this winning novel from the author of Field Guide (2001). Kristine Huntley

If you are interested here is the author's website:

Gwendolen Gross

Journal Entry 2 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Monday, April 14, 2003
I have decided that this is the perfect book for a bookray. This is my first bookray! Yippee! A big thank you to bookcrosser IACBY for allowing me to use her description of a bookray.

This book will be offered in a bookray. A bookray is very similar to a bookring except that the book doesn't come back to me! Each book should continue to move forever through as many bookcrossers who want to read it.

If you are interested in participating in this bookray, send me a PM so that I can maintain the list.

In order to maintain privacy, only the Bookcrossing member name of the participants will be posted. When you receive the book, journal it so we'll know you got it. When you are ready to send the book along, send a PM to the next person in the list asking them for their address details. If you do not hear from that person within 10-14 days, then PM the next person in the list and so forth until you receive confirmation that someone is still willing to be part of the bookray - and then pass it along, and journal the departure of the book!

Please don't put your name on the list if you are not willing to send the book overseas. I would like people all over the world to enjoy this book.

That's it! If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Journal Entry 3 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2003
Here is the list of who is participating in this bookray. The list will be on going so feel free to PM me. I have decided to try to organize this list by location first. Hopefully that will cut down on the travel time. I plan to post the list on April 21st. Any requests I receive after that date will just go to the bottom of the list. I hope everyone finds this acceptable.

1. Originated with kbgoffe (Beaverton, Oregon) Mailed out on 04/17/03
2. nikel27 --- (Germany) Received on 04/30/03 --- Mailed out on 05/09/03
3. blacksheeps99 --- (Austria) Received on 05/16/03 --- Mailed out on 05/19/03
4. Jolanda --- (Netherlands) Received on 05/27/03 --- Mailed out on 06/03/03
5. suzen --- (France) Received on 06/24/03 --- lost in transit
6. EarthAngel --- (Canada) Received on 10/11/03
7. LaRue --- (Medford, NY)
8. lightwavz --- (Detroit, MI)
9. iodine --- (Tarentum, PA)
10. sejent --- (Louisville, KY)
11. Rojeli --- (Paris, TN)
12. luv2read2 --- (Goose Creek, SC)
13. keeprdg --- (Duluth, GA)
14. palomaranch --- (Corpus Christi, TX)
15. amynsperry --- (Tulsa, OK)
16. Libby2 --- (Omaha, NE)
17. IACBY --- (Cave Creek, AZ)
18. moogytee --- (Sacramento, CA)
----------------------
19. sweetsangria --- (Forest Grove, OR)
20. shellyann --- (Kelseyville, CA)
21. spark --- (San Francisco, CA)
22. Lorrell --- (Lake Wales, FL)
23. Seferim --- (Columbia, MD)
24. DrBrown --- (Sierra Madre, CA)
25. alrescate --- (Strafford, MO)
26. tho --- (Lisboa, Portugal)
27. fly46 --- (Kingsvillle, OH)
28. kellyhp --- (San Antonio, TX)
29. spaceystacey --- (Bridgeton, NJ)
30. DEESSE --- (France)
31. ??????

Journal Entry 4 by kbgoffe at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Beaverton, Oregon USA on Thursday, April 17, 2003
Released on Thursday, April 17, 2003 at Mailing to fellow bookcrosser in Beaverton, Oregon USA.

I thought in honor of April 17th I would mail this out today to nikel27. I am so thrilled to have sent off my first bookray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, April 30, 2003
My first BookRay book arrived yesterday, I look forward to start reading it at the weekend. I just read the backcover and the intro to the book and it looks like a great read. When I finish with reading I will let you know more.
Thanks Kim for letting me join your bookray.

update: 05th of May
I am nearly finish with reading this book, so I think I will sent it out again to the end of the week.
As far I loved the book, at first I was a bit afraid that I want like it, because the book is written in an I - form. and normally I don't like books who are written this way. But I made a break and did start again, and know I can't wait until I have finish the book. Really great read how she manage all the hiking and outdoor stuff the first time and getting better and better. And also how it changed her character.

update: 07th of May
I am finish with the book, will re-read some part off it again the next day's and put it in the mail again on Friday (9th of May) to the next member of the Ray " blacksheeps99 (Austria)"

Release planned for Friday, May 09, 2003 at Postal System in Ginsheim, Hessen Germany.

will go out to the next member of the Ray " blacksheeps99 (Austria)"

sent via "Büchersendung" to you, looking forward to hear what you think about the book.
thanks Kim for starting this BookRay

Journal Entry 7 by blacksheeps99 on Saturday, May 17, 2003
I´ve received the book yesterday and and I think I´ll finish reading it tomorrow! :-)

18.05.2003
I´ve finished the book yesterday and I really, really liked it! It surprised, affected and impressed me!
Each one of us has to escape sometimes....I don´t like to tell to much about the book right now - there are soo many left on the bookray....

Journal Entry 8 by blacksheeps99 at on Monday, May 19, 2003
Released on Monday, May 19, 2003 at post office in Vienna, Wien Austria.

Send to Jolanda, The Netherlands.

Journal Entry 9 by Jolanda from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 27, 2003
Just received this book in the mail. Can't wait to get started. It's the second book that arrived today. Seems I've got something to do the comming weekend :-)

Journal Entry 10 by Jolanda from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 03, 2003
Just finished the book and I really liked it. I sure could relate to her first hike, remembering my first hike about two years ago.... and there aren't even mountains here :) I should find this book in Dutch and give it to all the friends and relatives who don't understand my addiction to hiking.

Released on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at Another Bookcrosser in Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands.

Put it in the mail to France this morning.

Journal Entry 12 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, June 24, 2003
Sorry I've been slow at getting this journaled; my mother was visiting from the States and just left yesterday. I will read this next!

Journal Entry 13 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, July 03, 2003
I liked this book. I especially liked the parts I was sure I wouldn't like when I first heard about the book, namely the descriptions of the hikes! I understood exactly what she meant. That said, it did not inspire me to go on a hike of my own...

Journal Entry 14 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Monday, September 15, 2003
I think that this book has been lost somewhere between France and Canada. Since I really just love this book and so many are still signed up to read it, I went out and bought a 3rd copy. I will have it on its way to Canada soon.

Journal Entry 15 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, September 16, 2003
I feel *really* terrible about this. Several weeks ago, I asked my husband to take it and another book to the post office for me and I'm afraid that could be the problem... I knew he'd be unlikely to send it priority; let's just say that'd be way out of character ;> but it really has been quite some time since he was sent on his errand...
Needless to say, he has not been asked to make a PO run since!!
Again, I do appologize for the trouble.

Journal Entry 16 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Tuesday, September 16, 2003
Suzen, please do not worry about it. It happens. Considering the amount of books that are shipped every day it is not a shock to lose one or two. I am just pleased to have gone out and found another copy so it could continue its journey.

BTW Jolanda, I love your home page that shows hikes that you have gone on. Wish I could have been there too. Right now my my husband is backpacking Mt Rainier’s Wonderland Trail I can't wait to see the pictures.

Journal Entry 17 by kbgoffe at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Beaverton, Oregon USA on Sunday, September 28, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at Mailing to fellow bookcrosser in Beaverton, Oregon USA.

Finally time to send this book to continue its journey! Sorry about being sick for so long and delaying the sending of this book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by EarthAngel from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 11, 2003
Received in mail about a week ago, sorry only journaling now! I hope i enjoy the book as everyone else has.
I will be getting to it as soon as I finish the current book I am reading