Blonde Roots

by Bernardine Evaristo | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Rivercassini of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, August 15, 2008
I heard the author being interviewed on the radio the other day. The use this novel makes of the experience of slavery made it irrestible.

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 07, 2008
I sort of enjoyed this book. The premise is intriguing - the real world turned upside down, where slavery is a crime inflicted by blacks on whites - and Evaristo has worked it well. But it didn't go far enough for my liking, and there was little genuine exploration of how such a shift might actually have changed the world or the way humans think. I think this is perhaps because thiss is very much a crossover book, something which I hadn't realised when I bought it. That made it disappointing for me, but that's no reflection on the book, just on my poor judgement. I wouldn't have started reading it if I'd enough it was aimed at young adults, but I'm glad I did.

Read September 2008