The Illustrated Dracula (Penguin Illustrated Classics)

Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 14, 2008
I found this fair-condition (though with some highlighting) trade-paperback at a local Annie's Book Stop, and couldn't resist it. It's an unabridged version of Stoker's classic, with atmospheric illustrations by Jae Lee. [Some of the illustrations are full-page color ones, while most are half- or quarter-page black-and-white sketches.]

I always enjoy going back to the original text of "Dracula," although since Drac has become an icon, inspiring entire genres of books and films (plus a role-playing game or two - and don't forget the breakfast cereal), it's sometimes difficult to sort out the "real" fictional Dracula from the derived pop-culture fictional Dracula, if you follow me. Anyway, I like the way the story unfolds via the letters and journals of several of the participants, offering different views of the increasingly disturbing events that are taking place. The stark settings, the contrast between ancient evil and modern [for the publication date, anyway] science, the forging of the alliance of Lucy's bereaved lovers, the climactic chase sequence - it's all marvelous!

[For those who enjoy audiobooks, there's a wonderful unabridged-audio version of Dracula read by Robert Whitfield (a pseudonym of Simon Vance - see the comments about his reading on his web site here). I got the audiobook via my subscription to Audible.com, but whether you download it or find a tape or CD copy, I recommend it.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Monument Square, Amherst and Concord sts in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (9/10/2008 UTC) at Monument Square, Amherst and Concord sts in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Halloween's not quite here yet, but the weather has definitely got an autumnal nip in it today, so I thought I'd turn Dracula loose. I left the book on a bench in Monument Square (the little square with the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors monument, at the intersection of Concord and Amherst streets) at about 2:30. Hope the finder enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by GWF from Milford, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 11, 2008
Got the release alert on this yesterday and thought it would make for a great theme release on Halloween; however, given the price of gas, I wasn’t going to go all the way to Nashua for it. I had a CT scan scheduled for 11:00 am this morning at So NH Medical and on my way in I passed Monument Sq. I noticed the book was still on the bench. I didn’t have the time to turn around and get it then but thought I’d look for it on my way home. Much to my surprise it was still there so I snagged it. The morning dew took its toll and the cover is all turned up and the pages quite wet. I’ve got it drying out in the sun now and will press it under a pile of books for a few in hopes the cover will flatten out.

Every Halloween season there’s a local gentleman who sets-up an attraction called “House of Fear”. He generously donates his proceeds to a favorite charity I’m involved with called High Hopes. I will release the book sometime during that event. Thanks Gory.

Journal Entry 4 by GWF at Milford Oval in Milford, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 31, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (10/31/2008 UTC) at Milford Oval in Milford, New Hampshire USA

I didn't get a chance to participate in the House of Fear this year which is where I'd plan to release this book, but I still wanted to put it out for Halloween. The Oval has always been a good release spot for me so here it goes. Enter freely and of your own will; Dracula is back out amongst us. BTW, it was a great book!