Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie

by holly black | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by imawinn2 of Neenah, Wisconsin USA on 8/13/2008
Journal Entry 1 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2008
I've read Holly Black's Spiderwick Chronicles and her short fics in the anthology Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm. I enjoy Holly's imagination and picked this up along with her other "modern Faery Tale" Tithe.

Amazon.com

From School Library Journal:

Val Russell runs away from home after discovering her mom and her boyfriend making out. In New York, she meets two eccentric, homeless teens who take her to their hideout in the subway tunnels where Dave's older brother runs an underground operation dealing potions to faeries. Lolli introduces her to the land of Faerie by shooting up an otherworldly substance called Never (named after Edgar Allan Poe's "Nevermore" from The Raven). Val and Lolli are caught by Ravus, the powerful troll they work for. After enduring his rage and bargaining for Lolli's life in true Beauty and the Beast fashion, Val is bound to Ravus for indefinite servitude and falls in love with him. In Holly Black's dark fantasy (S & S, 2005), filled with twists and turns, her vivid portrayal of the homeless teenagers is harsh, realistic, and apt.

Journal Entry 2 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, June 09, 2018
taken from the otheworldly book box. I have been wanting to read this for awhile now so I was glad to find it in the book box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, March 26, 2019
I absolutely loved this book. I am familiar with Holly Black from the Faery Reel:Tales from the Twilight realm, along with her work with Teri Windling's Borderlands universe in the book, Welcome to Bordertown, as well as a few other short stories. I was aware of her Spiderwick Chronicals books, though I have yet to read them.

I brought this along for a day of waiting rooms and bus rides between an early morning dr.'s appointment and work and found myself inhaling the book. I really enjoyed this, and will be looking for Tithe and Ironside to read in the near future.

Journal Entry 4 by wingnimrodielwing at Little Free Library at 1221 Greenleaf St. in Evanston, Illinois USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (3/27/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library at 1221 Greenleaf St. in Evanston, Illinois USA

Left in the little free library.