Slam

by Nick Hornby | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, August 11, 2008
The superb Hornby has written a 'teen' novel..as recommended by my DD

(24/08) *includes spoiler*

I can’t really do justice to this book without giving away most of the secrets…so you have been warned…read on at your peril!

I don’t think that Sam is a typical 16 year-old boy, but close enough to be credible to an ex-teenage boy, from a distance of 25+ years! Sam lives a lot of his life in his head, and talking to his hero, skater (not skateboarder!) Tony Hawks. He has a young mum, an estranged dad, and an on-off girlfriend, until SLAM, his whole life changes…yes I think you can guess. To escape the enormity of his life ending as he sees it, Sam gets whizzed forward in time by TH in Scrooge-style glimpses into the future. All very unbelievable, but as a vehicle for a ‘teen’ book to explore weighty matters of the meaning of chance, being positive in the worst-possible circumstances, and trusting in people, and the passage of time and events, I really enjoyed it.

Hornby remains a flexible and dependable writer, one of my favs, although back to adult books now please :-)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Greyhound public house in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 06, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/7/2008 UTC) at Greyhound public house in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking along to our little extra lunchtime meet-up, and to visit the new Ipswich OBCZ :)