Empire

Registered by wingsoffitta1wing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 8/9/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008
Duplicate copy given free by the Times.

Britain's Empire, warts and all.

Journal Entry 2 by wingsoffitta1wing at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/9/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

taken to meetup

Journal Entry 3 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008
I've dipped into this a few times already this afternoon. Very interesting it is too.

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, November 28, 2010
This was a donation from Rebecca (KenseyRiver) - picked up at her Seasonal Fayre in Christchurch Park and dropped off at a very busy Caffe Nero.

Oops I meant to leave it but it, but somehow it has stayed with me all the way home, bad book!

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, March 01, 2015
I took a while to reach this on 'Mount Toberead', but I did, and very good it was too.

Apparently this was (in the noughties) a huge and controversial telling of the story of the British Empire, from the early Elizabethan buccaneers to the post-9/11 post-imperial world.

I found it excellent, balanced, insightful, full of incredible breadth and detail. Its one of those books that you want to be able to dip and in a plant the facts straight into your head! I particularly liked the background to the American War of independence, the start of the Indian colonial rule, the pre- and post-WW1, although some of the middle-East politics was confusing - but so much good stuff to choose from!

In the end Ferguson came down on the side of the Empire as a qualified 'force for good', in terms of (relatively) benign rule, fostering world trade and development of poorer countries - a net outflow of people and money. I wasn't really aware of the difference in 'management' and style adopted by Britain compared to the older empires (France, Spain, Portugal), and the newer crueler [Nazi] Germany, Italy, Japan and China. An interesting final reflection on the USA as the de facto owner of the world leader crown, but its inability to fully take on the responsibility.

Journal Entry 6 by BookGroupMan at Piccadilly, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/28/2015 UTC) at Piccadilly, Greater London United Kingdom

I was going to leave this but no.1 son expressed an interest, so its gone from Suffolk to Harringay, via a rather nice lunch at the BAFTA club on Piccadilly :)