The Secret Scripture

by Sebastian Barry | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0670019402 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Xeyra of Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on 10/27/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Monday, October 27, 2008
From Publishers Weekly
The latest from Barry (whose A Long Way was shortlisted for the 2005 Booker) pits two contradictory narratives against each other in an attempt to solve the mystery of a 100-year-old mental patient. That patient, Roseanne McNulty, decides to undertake an autobiography and writes of an ill-fated childhood spent with her father, Joe Clear. A cemetery superintendent, Joe is drawn into Ireland's 1922 civil war when a group of irregulars brings a slain comrade to the cemetery and are discovered by a division of Free-Staters.

Meanwhile, Roseanne's psychiatrist, Dr. Grene, investigating Roseanne's original commitment in preparation for her transfer to a new hospital, discovers through the papers of the local parish priest, Fr. Gaunt, that Roseanne's father was actually a police sergeant in the Royal Irish Constabulary.

The mysteries multiply when Roseanne reveals that Fr. Gaunt annulled her marriage after glimpsing her in the company of another man; Gaunt's official charge was nymphomania, and the cumulative fallout led to a string of tragedies. Written in captivating, lyrical prose, Barry's novel is both a sparkling literary puzzle and a stark cautionary tale of corrupted power.

------------------

Reserved for the European Booker Prize Shortlist 2008 Roundabout.

The bookring will be open to any European Bookcrossers who might be interested, but priority will be given to the other participants in the roundabout.

BOOKRING:
* Xeyra (Portugal) (shortlist roundabout)
* iliotropio (Belgium) (shortlist roundabout)

* franaloe (Netherlands) (shortlist roundabout) HERE
* Laui (Netherlands) (shortlist roundabout)
* katrinat (UK) (shortlist roundabout)
* Cross-Patch (UK) (shortlist roundabout)
* Sternschnuppe28 (Germany) (shortlist roundabout)
* sintra (Germany)
* MarcThomas (France)
* lucy-lemon (UK)
* wanderingstar8 (UK)
* WigglyWoods (UK)
...
--> And back to me.

NOTES: Please don't keep the book for too long. A month or so should be enough for you to read it and pass it along. If your turn comes and you're swamped, don't be afraid to ask to be bumped a few places down. If you're going to need more than a month or two to read the book, say so and keep us informed. If you can't seem to find the time to read it within 3-4 months, please pass it on to the next one in line.

Journal Entry 2 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Saturday, March 14, 2009
Arrived safely. Many thanks Xeyra!

Journal Entry 3 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Saturday, September 05, 2009
On its way to franaloe, with my sincere apologies for taking so long to post it. :0(
A wonderfully written novel BTW, a treat!

Journal Entry 4 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, September 16, 2009
So now the last of 2008's booker prize shortlisted books has arrived. I'm reading the last pages of a fraction of the whole right now. I have one other BC-book I'll have to read first, and then it's all about the secret scripture. Looking forward!

Journal Entry 5 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, October 04, 2009
Nice book, although I'm not impressed. The end of the story was tooooooo obvious, saw that coming for ages, which is a pity.

Will send this one on to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 6 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, October 07, 2009
Now on its way to Katrinat. Laui asked to be skipped for the moment (too many other BC books to read).

Journal Entry 7 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Arrived last week, I've only just realised that I hadn't journalled it's arrival. Will start reading soon and get moving again, looks great. I love the cover (I've always wanted wings ike that)

Journal Entry 8 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2009
I thought this was the weakest of the books that I have read on the 2008 Booker shortlist. A similar story was written about in The Vanishing of Esme Lennox which I thought was much stronger. As has been said above the ending was so obvious and I could see what was going to happen far to early on.
Have requested the next address, will be posted out asap

EDITED: Cross-Patch has her own copy of this book so I'm asking for the next persons address (29.11.09)

Released 9 yrs ago (12/8/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent on its way today

Journal Entry 10 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, December 16, 2009
just received - thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, December 19, 2009
That was a nice easy read. Well, I am not too enthusiastic. The whole story is a bit too melodramatic and kitschy and unbelievable, it reminds me more to Rosamunde Pilcher books concerning the contents. The structure, flow of the story and language were definetely its better sides.

"The Secret Scripture" will continue travelling to sintra by the end of next week, because she will not make it to the post office before Christmas.

That was by the way my last book of last year´s roundabout. All in all I read better shortlisted books in previous years. Of all books I have not finished two (A fraction of the whole/ The Northern Clemency). My rating for the rest:

1.) The White Tiger
2.) The Clothes on my Back
3.) The Sea of Poppies
4.) The Secret Scripture

Journal Entry 12 by sintra from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, January 05, 2010
The book arrived today. Thanks a lot!
I might take a bit longer than usual to read it since my exam preparations are slowing me down at the moment but I'm pretty sure the book will be on its way again in February.

Quick update, 17.02.: I've read about 2/3 of the book now so I should be able to send it on soon when I get back from my holidays.

Journal Entry 13 by sintra from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, March 06, 2010
I enjoyed reading this book, especially Barry's narrative style and language. Of course, you see the end coming but I don't think that's necessarily a flaw here - I definitely prefer this to a mediocre book that only relies on a final twist. Another aspect I personally liked was the description of the setting of Roseanne's story because I have some fond memories of Strandhill (even though I tend to call it "the coastal town they forgot to close down") and Sligo.

Getting the book travelling again seems to be a little difficult: MarcThomas and lucy-lemon have both already read the book, wanderingstar8 asked to be skipped, and WigglyWoods so far hasn't replied to my messages. I'll probably wait a few more days and then ask Xeyra what's to happen next.

Edit, 7.3.: WigglyWoods just sent me her address so the book will be on its way again next week! :-)

Journal Entry 14 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 25, 2010
Arrived this morning - thanks sintra, I've been really looking forward to reading this and as soon as I've finished my current read I'll get started.

Journal Entry 15 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 31, 2010
I finished this today and like others have said, I did see the end coming but kept on reading to the end and enjoyed the little twist with Kane. Have pm'd Xeyra for her address so that this book can make its way home.

Journal Entry 16 by WigglyWoods at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom

Posted home to xeyra today.

Journal Entry 17 by Xeyra at Palmela, Setúbal Portugal on Monday, November 29, 2010
Arrived home a few months ago but I hadn't yet journaled it. Thank you all for participating in this ring and I hope you enjoyed the book.