The Helmet of Horror: The Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur

by Viktor Pelevin | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 1841957054 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Xeyra of Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on 8/19/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
In the Greek myth, Ariadne, the daughter of Minos of Crete, falls in love with Theseus and helps him kill the fearsome Minotaur, a half-bull, half-human monster trapped in the center of a vast labyrinth. Armed with the sword that she supplies and holding the end of a thread that marks his path, Theseus kills the beast and makes his way back out. As his addition to the Myths series, celebrated Russian novelist Pelevin creates a brilliant new telling of the myth: a group of strangers find themselves in a modern-day labyrinth, trapped in identical rooms, given archetypal screen names and able to interact only through a chatroom thread begun by one "Ariadne." The figures who inhabit this doomed maze are drawn from many sources, for instance, "Romeo-y-Cohiba" and "IsoldA" both look for love, but are stymied when they try to find it with each other. All are haunted by the "Helmet of Horror," which is both the machine that controls their destiny and the mind that creates the machine, and there is no Theseus to save them. Pelevin has updated this myth in an absurd and terrifying metaphysical consideration of the labyrinths in which we all find ourselves and the traps we willingly enter as we move through our lives.

Journal Entry 2 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Placed in the It's Your Turn International VBB and selected by VeganMedusa.

Journal Entry 3 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, October 23, 2008
Thanks Xeyra - a lovely parcel with interesting and newish books. :)

Journal Entry 4 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Interesting read, although I have no idea what happened at the end.
This is reserved for a Southern Crosser.

Journal Entry 5 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, November 12, 2009
On its way to lmn60, Ms Southern Cross December.
Do tell me if you understand the ending, as I'm still clueless. :)

Journal Entry 6 by lmn60 from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Yippee! Another in the 'myth' series that I have been wanting to read for ages! Thanks veggie (and Xeyra!) for this one!

I'll enlighten you as to the ending (yeah right!!!) when this one eventually moves from to-be-read to read!

Journal Entry 7 by lmn60 at Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, June 22, 2019
Well that was odd! No enlightenment as to the ending for you, Veggie 'cos I also am bamboozled.
This one was all 'high concept' which actually fizzled out for me.
Thanks for sharing it, though. I'll take it along to meetup and see if anyone else is game to give it a go!!!

Journal Entry 8 by lmn60 at Cargo Restaurant in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, June 22, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (6/23/2019 UTC) at Cargo Restaurant in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, lmn60, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!