The Flanders Panel

by Arturo Perez-Reverte | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by alsomama of Seattle, Washington USA on 4/11/2003
Journal Entry 1 by alsomama from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, April 11, 2003
The story begins with an intriguing premise: a lovely, young Spanish art restorer discovers a hidden clue about a centuries-old murder in a fifteenth-century Flemish painting. She soon becomes embroiled in finding the solution to the crime by unravelling the moves of the chess game depicted in the painting. She is surrounded by a sordid group of friends/enemies who start to become victims of unsavory murders themselves. A lot of drinking and smoking ensues. This is an entertaining, if not extremely well-written novel. I have to admit I enjoyed following the plot.

Journal Entry 2 by alsomama at Post Office on California Avenue in West Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, April 11, 2003
Released on Friday, April 11, 2003 at Post Office on California Avenue in West Seattle in Seattle, Washington USA.

Sending this copy to JennyO in Texas. I had seen this book recommended in the forums so I rushed out to buy a copy. Only to find I had a copy at home. And when I was going through the bookshelves the other day I found another. Goes to show how terribly well-organized I am. Emphasis on terribly.

Enjoy, JennyO!

Journal Entry 3 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2003
Just received today from alsomama. She always sends me good stuff (including a lovely little handmade Christmas journal in this package). I'm looking forward to reading this one and then passing it along.

Journal Entry 4 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Thursday, July 03, 2003
Started reading this one yesterday, and I'm already halfway through it. I'm very caught up in the plot. Wish I were a better chess player, so I'd understand more of the references to the game. I know the basic moves, but this is beyond me. Very intriguing story though. May have to put the kids down for a nap today so I can finish it. If I don't get through it today/tonight, I'm taking it with me to my folks' house for the holiday. Will post a final review and rating then.

Thanks alsomama.

Journal Entry 5 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 08, 2003
Finished this book last night. I got pretty caught up in the story, and was really frustrated when I forgot the book on my nightstand when I went out of town over the weekend!

I had figured out who did it before the ending, but I hadn't figured out why. Of course, my guess was based on gut feeling rather than the logical chess analysis used in the book.

This book reminded me of Umberto Eco's work, but I found Perez-Reverte a little easier to read. Very enjoyable overall, and I appreciate alsomama sharing this book with me. I'll release it soon.

Journal Entry 6 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Thursday, July 24, 2003
Will mail to tara-K in The Netherlands.

Journal Entry 7 by tara-K from Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, August 16, 2003
JennyO, thanks for the book. I just got it today. I wish I could start on it today. I'm reading a book from the library right now and then have at least one other book to read before I can get started on this one. Thanks again Jenny.

I finished the book while on vacation in Turkey. It was fantastic. My husband also read it and enjoyed it as well. As others have said, it would be nice if I had known how to play chess and could then understand the moves. Not knowing chess though, didn't hinder the enjoyment of the book. What a surprise ending for me. I never saw it coming.

This book is going as a trade to Suzen in France.

Journal Entry 8 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, January 13, 2004
Thanks, tara-k!! I'm starting this one today.

Journal Entry 9 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Saturday, January 17, 2004
Excellent! I really loved this book. I've just started teaching my oldest son to play chess, so it was very timely for me. The plot was very well thought out. The only "complaint" I have about the writing is that I felt that there was some emotion missing from the characters; I'm thinking specifically of Julia. There was something else that bothered me during about half the book; it seemed to me to be a logistical problem, but in the end it all made sense to me even though there was never any specific reference to it as far as I could tell. I won't say more because it could be seen as a spoiler to some.
I'm thinking I'll send this to a friend, but if someone asks for it first I might give it to them instead...

Journal Entry 10 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, August 21, 2005
This is one of a bunch of books I'm giving to someone (through Freecycle) who plans to give them to the crisis center for their booksale.