Slaughterhouse-Five

by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Kurt Vonnegut | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by marsala of - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on 8/7/2008
Journal Entry 1 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Thursday, August 07, 2008
From the back of the book:

Slaughterhouse-five is one of the world's great anti-war books. Centering on the infamous firebombing of Dresden, Billy Pilgrim's odyssey through time reflects the mythic journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning in what we are afraid to know.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It had this dark, sattircal humor to it that I can appreciate. The very matter-of-factly way Billy deals with absurd situations, like time travel and alien abduction is sometimes so ridiculous, that it makes we want to shake him. I loved the writing style of Vonnegut. I can't really explain what I like about it. It is very unique, nothing I've ever come across before.

#375 on the 1001 books to read before you die.

Journal Entry 2 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, February 07, 2009
I decided to make a bookring out of this book.

A few rules regarding this ring.

1. Please make a journal entry when you receive the book and when you let it travel on again.
2. Let us know what you thought of the book.
3. A month, I think, is plenty of time to read this book. If you take longer, no biggie, but please let us know.
4. Enjoy!

I will considerate everyone's location and shipping preferences, but I'm afraid I can't promiss you anything about this.

List of participants:

- Jozebedee (UK, prefers UK shipping)
- angelamurdoch (UK, prefers UK shipping)
- jellyfish67 (UK)
- MissMyr (Portugal, prefers Europe shipping)
- Benschu (Germany, ships intl.)
- Cat207 (Australia, prefers Australia shipping)
- allthesepieces (U.S.A, prefers U.S shipping)
- pinkbug1 (U.S.A, ships intl.)
- You?
- You?
- Or maybe you?
- Marsala

Journal Entry 3 by marsala at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/10/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I just dropped the book in the mailbox, to the first participant.

Happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 4 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2009
Thanks Marsala - I have received the book safely.

Journal Entry 5 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/25/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This was quite an amusing read - I enjoyed the book very much. Parts went over my head a little, but not so that the flow of the book was affected. Overall - a good read.

Sending off now to the next participant on the list!

Journal Entry 6 by lidlekiwi on Thursday, February 26, 2009
Hi, it was in today mail.
I had a lot of trouble with the BCID as I couldn't read the numbers.
I will re write the numbers in.

Journal Entry 7 by lidlekiwi on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
I didn't enjoy this book. I wish I could say more. But I just didn't like it.

Posting off to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 8 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, April 27, 2009
Arrived safely over the week end.