The Raphael Affair

by Iain Pears | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by slimduck of Socorro, New Mexico USA on 4/10/2003
Journal Entry 1 by slimduck from Socorro, New Mexico USA on Thursday, April 10, 2003
As a lover of art history mysteries, I've been meaning to read Iain Pears for a while, so I purchased a batch of his novels on eBay. They're all going in my to-be-read pile. Once I've read them, I will post a short review and release them in the wild or pass them on to another reader.

Journal Entry 2 by slimduck from Socorro, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, July 8, 2003
I was disappointed by this book, perhaps because my expectations were too high. This is one of Pears' early works, and I hope that his more recent books are more polished. I enjoyed the plot, but the protagonist annoyed me. The book reflected some of the atmosphere of Italy, but it was hardly steeped in atmosphere. I did not feel transported to a different place.

Since this is one of Pears' early works, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and attempt some of his more recent books. I have heard wonderful things about "An Instance of the Fingerpost" and will probably read that shortly.

Journal Entry 3 by slimduck at Socorro Post Office in Socorro, New Mexico USA on Saturday, September 20, 2003
Released on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at Socorro Post Office in Socorro, New Mexico USA.

Left on a table at around 11:00 AM.