Fingersmith

by Sarah Waters | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by bearyfriend of Singapore, Singapore Singapore on 7/30/2008
Journal Entry 1 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Wednesday, July 30, 2008
This is a thick paperback with 548-pgs. Got a free gift with purchase - a very nice Little, Brown book group tote bag from Borders.

From back cover:-
London 1862. Sue Trinder, orphaned at birth, grows up among petty thieves - fingersmiths - under the rough but loving care of Mrs Sucksby and her 'family'. But from the moment she draws breath, Sue's fate is linked to that of another orphan growing up in a gloomy mansion not too many miles away.

I am starting an International Ring out of this, and the last reader will send book back to me. Guidelines as usual. Make a JE when you receive the book, and try to read within a month. It's ok if it takes slightly longer. Make a JE and send it along to the next in line. I'll be the last to read.

Participants:-
1. christina82 (Denmark) - will ship anywhere
2. carelaisa (Canada) - prefer Canada/USA or surface mail internationally
3. smilingheron (USA) - ship anywhere
4. Miss-Owl (Australia) - prefer Aust/NZ Region or surface mail internationally
5. Nisaba000 (Australia) <=== Book is here
6. mrbaggins1 (South Africa) - will ship anywhere

back to bearyfriend (Singapore)

Journal Entry 2 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Thursday, August 07, 2008
I have sent book out today via surface mail. Hope you don't mind having to wait a bit longer, as I'm running out of vit-M, that's why. Hope you enjoy reading the book when it arrives.

Journal Entry 3 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Friday, September 19, 2008
I got it in the mail today. It has been travelling a long time - over a month! Glad it made it all the way from Singapore! Look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Sunday, October 26, 2008
Finished this book yesterday. What a great book! Found it hard to get into at the beginning - maybe because I had just finnished The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster and I still thought about its ending.

BUT it is a great piece of literature - I was very captured by the story. I had not read the comments at the two first pages of the book and was a bit surprised by the lesbian twist - not what you expect in a historic novel - but it fitted nicely with the rest of the story. I had thougth about different possible ways the story might take and was very surprised by the way it turned out. I love the two-way look upon the story - and then I will tell no more - read it and love it!

Thank you so much for sharing this book with me bearyfriend!

I have PM'ed carelaisa and will get the book in the mail as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 5 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Monday, November 03, 2008
Received it today. It travelled quite fast in the mail!!

I will read it this month and pass it along hopefully real soon :)

Thanks bearyfriend for starting this ring and christina82 to pass it along (also thanks for the little things you enclosed with the book!).

Journal Entry 6 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Finished it this weekend and I was quite captivated by the story... I like the era in which is was set, there wasn't too much characters - easier in a way to follow the story - and liked the development of each of them that was important to the story. Again, the love story in is is not the typical one we are used to see but here, it was well fitted into the storyline.

Overall, I liked better than Affinity and it got me into reading the other novels by this author.

I have mailed the book to the next BCer today, Nov26th, so it should get there in about 2 weeks!

Journal Entry 7 by 2of3Rs from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Sunday, December 07, 2008
Just received from carelaisa here in Oregon. This book has been recommended to me several times, so I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks, bearyfriend, for starting the ring!

Journal Entry 8 by 2of3Rs from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Sunday, December 21, 2008
This book felt a little bit like Dickens, a little bit like Jane Eyre, but all in all was its own delectable entity. I am so glad to have read this. Thank you, bearyfriend, for starting this ring!

I have contacted Miss-Owl, next on the list, to pass this along.

Journal Entry 9 by 2of3Rs at Burwood, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/29/2008 UTC) at Burwood, New South Wales Australia

Finally sent off to Miss-Owl today...we were snowbound for a week...I'm glad it's on its way!

Journal Entry 10 by Miss-Owl on Tuesday, January 13, 2009
It's here! Thanks, everyone, for sending on, and to bearyfriend for sharing. There are a few reads on Mt Toobie ahead, but I'm on school holidays until the end of the month so it should be moving on soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Miss-Owl on Thursday, January 22, 2009
It's been a while since I read such a page-turner! Thanks to everyone for sharing and passing on - especially to bearyfriend :) It made for several sleepless nights and one enthralled food-court sitting. The plot twists left me gobsmacked and yet were completely appropriate as Waters did have carefully laid-down clues and a nice use of foreshadowing, if I had cared to look and think about things a little more.

What I enjoyed best was the vivid evocation of lives that felt real - the thieving community of the Borough; the stony isolation of Briar; the horror-filled claustrophia of the madhouse... and above all, a staggering vision of the helplessness of the individual woman in an era of such rigid social stratifications. The madness - or teetering on its brink - seemed very, very real.

I'm not sure I accept the central premise at the core of the story, but I did enjoy the two girls' voices - kind of the difference between a fiddle and a viola, if you know what I mean.

There - I hope I've written well enough about it without giving too much away!

I have pm'ed Nisaba000 for her address.

Journal Entry 12 by Miss-Owl at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/9/2009 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay - work has been crazy & I've just made it to the post office before 5pm today.

Moving on to the next reader!

Journal Entry 13 by Nisaba000 from Toukley , New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 12, 2009
A great many thank-yous to Bearyfriend for this one, and Miss-Owl for getting it to me. Much appreciated. Good books should be circulated as widely as possible.

Well! That was a roller-coaster of a read! A thick volume set in the horrors of Victorian England (aren't I glad I wasn't alive then and there!), it is dark and Dickensian in its documentation of how to survive in a hard society without a social security safety-net, of violence and sexual abuse, of the horrible way in which the insane and simple-minded were treated. The section documenting Susan's confinement in an insane asylum reminded me strongly, in that way, of http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/4776274, which looked at an American woman facing mental health issues at around the same time.

Even the "Happy Ending", which is there to please readers, isn't really: Susan gets to find a girl she loved and gets to be told she is rich and the house is hers; but that will be just the start of her problems as she deals with accessing the wealth that is just so many words so far and has no reality in cold hard cash or legal documents.

I have previously seen a television adaptation of this book, and having finally read the book I have immense admiration for the adaptors: while they couldn't find a way to get the Maud Point of View in, they followed Susan's story very faithfully and made sense of it all, without doing a disservice to the book or changing the plot around to make it more commercial.

If BearyFriend could PM me with an address ...

Journal Entry 14 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, February 22, 2009
Glad you all enjoyed reading this book. PM'd you my add, Nisaba000, did you receive?

Journal Entry 15 by Nisaba000 from Toukley , New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 23, 2009
Yes I did, but I haven't posted it yet

Journal Entry 16 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, July 12, 2009
Hello Nisaba000, would appreciate an update on the book's progress, thank you. I have tried sending you PM and ISO via the forum, but no reply so far. I hope everything's OK with you, and you will be back to bookcrossing soon. Hope to hear from you. I would really like to have this new book back. Thanks =)

Journal Entry 17 by lostbookisland on Saturday, August 29, 2009
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.