The Book of the Film of the Story of My Life

by William Brandt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mssaver of Chicago, Illinois USA on 12/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 14, 2008
From the cover:

"As a young boy in the backwaters of New Zealand, Frederick Case dreamed of being a famous film producer in London, married to a glamorous film star and making more money than he knew what to do with. Forty years later, he may not be rich (he still takes money from his parents), he may not be famous (the shopkeeper on the corner even forgets his name), and he may be losing his hair, but at least he's living in London and married to Sophie, a gorgeous movie star. Until she leaves him for a costar..."

Unfortunately, I had not read very far until I became bored with this book, but maybe someone else will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 2 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, February 05, 2009
Adding to MaryZee's Bookish Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 04, 2009
This came home in my (very heavy) Booksih Books bookbox yesterday. It looks like an interesting read; I hope it doesn't bore me. I'll give it a try. Thanks Mssaver!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Monday, June 04, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

MaryZee had a lot of books on her BC shelves when she passed. I am planning on sharing most of them with other locals. But I am hanging on to a few that might be more appropriate for other distribution methods. From the looks of it, this might be a good fit if I revive the Bookish Book Box.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 12, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/12/2019 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is part of the Bookish Book Box being circulated in memory of MaryZee, who was a passionate Bookcrosser and sadly died in September 2012. Hopefully it will cross the path of someone who will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 29, 2019
I'm claiming this ARC softcover from the Bookish Book Box in Memory of MaryZee.

Later: An amusing example of being very, very careful what one wishes for, with some coming-of-age (via flashbacks) and coming-to-terms in the present day. It's about a New Zealand man who attained at least some of his youthful dreams regarding a profession in the film industry and a glamorous actress for a wife - only to find that in middle age he's on the brink of losing it all. He comes up with a wacky scheme to try and win his wife back (though one has to wonder if that's really the best idea), and the story unfolds as if it's a romantic-comedy film, complete with passages written in screenplay form.

I found it amusing here and there, and the author has some great turns of phrase, but I'm not sure that setting up the title as he did was a good choice - makes the whole story-arc a bit too predictable, if you're at all genre-savvy. I couldn't help seeing the story as if it *were* a film, though in that case it would have to be "The Film of the Book of the Film of the Story of My Life," which would be weird. {wry grin}

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 23, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (11/23/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this lovely day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***