The Ferryman Will Be There

by Rosemary Aubert | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 7/27/2008
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, July 27, 2008
I think I haven't read this book. I found it at the Millennium Library book sale. I've read the two previous Ellis Portal mysteries and really liked them but I don't remember reading this one. So I'll put it as TBR and if it turns out that I have read it I can always keep it for the 2009 Canada Day release challenge.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, December 21, 2009
No, indeed, I had not read this book previously. I enjoyed this book that features the former lawyer, judge and homeless person, Ellis Portal. Judge Portal is no longer living in the ravines of Toronto and he actually has money from his divorce settlement. I was afraid that this would mean the series would lose its punch but not so.

His expertise with the homeless situation is why DS Matt West (whose severed hand ended up in Portal's ravine garden in Free Reign) calls Portal in. Charington Simm, a film director, was shot as he exited his limo to attend the gala opening of his newest film at the Toronto International Film Festival. His daughter, Carrie, who was riding in the limo as well disappeared that night. West thinks she might be hiding out with some former friends from her homeless days. Portal knows some of those friends. One is his landlady, Tootie Beets. But Tootie has other things to think about because she has just found out her home is going to be expropriated. Every time Portal tries to talk to her about Carrie she changes the subject or disappears. Mind you no-one in Portal's life disappears forever, unless they are killed. As he investigates Carrie's whereabouts he sees a few deaths but he knows he is getting closer. Then Queenie, his friend from the homeless days, who has gone up north to attend school, provides the vital clue.

I think it would be best to read the previous two books, Free Reign and Feast of Stephen before reading this book but there is enough referencing to figure out the main details so it can stand alone.

This was my 5th read for John Mutford's reading challenge. I'm going to reserve it for the 2010 Canada Day release challenge.

I left this book on top of the lookout tower on Baldy Mountain, the highest elevation in Manitoba. Fortunately I put it in a BC ziploc bag because shortly after we left there was a severe thunderstorm. This release is for the 2010 Canada Day release challenge and for the 2010 52 Towns in 52 Weeks release challenge.