Whirlwind

by Joseph Garber | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by nuttyreader of Wichita Falls, Texas USA on 7/27/2008
Journal Entry 1 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Sunday, July 27, 2008
A James Bond for the AARP set, unjustly ...
... disgraced ex-CIA agent Charlie McKenzie is called out of forced retirement when a secret weapon known as Whirlwind is stolen by gorgeous Russian spy Irina. Ever the knight-errant, he decides to ... more » protect Irina against the corrupt national security adviser and the evil South African mercenary who are also pursuing her. Much bickering ensues between the paternal Charlie and the feistily independent Irina, who has father issues, until, as they are picking off henchmen with a sniper rifle, a platonic May-December romance blossoms. Garber (Vertical Run) slathers on pure Hollywood cliche, as the story proceeds inexorably from trash-talking confrontation to climactic gasoline explosion, powered by a villain who is such a Teutonic effigy of exquisite politeness and barbaric cruelty that one wonders why he isn't wearing a monocle. But the trash-talk is snappy, the villain is deliciously hateful and the plot, fast-paced enough to leap over its own holes, leaves little time to reflect on the implausibility of Charlie's feats of ratiocination, or to note that his and Irina's problems are often caused by their own special-ops showboating. Charlie, a cocky, white-haired juggernaut adored by his family, effortlessly superior to his younger antagonists and still capable of arousing-and chivalrously deflecting-the passions of 20-something Russian babes, makes a gratifying fantasy hero.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Monday, March 23, 2009
This book jumped in Trekwoman's "Inclement Weather" bookbox for a vist to more readers. I just could not get into this book. I hope another crosser will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by k00kaburra from San Jose, California USA on Friday, June 12, 2009
When a reviewer stoops to describing a book's great charms as "the trash-talk was snappy" I can extrapolate that this book ain't gonna be for me.

This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, California before continuing its travels in Trekwoman's 'Inclement Weather' Bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Monday, June 22, 2009
Came to visit today as part of the Inclement Weather bookbox. The author's name doesn't ring a bell, so I'll check it out and report back.

Journal Entry 5 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
When I came home late last night from an evening out, I chose this book to read before bed. Right away, in the first few pages, Charlie's antics and bravado were bothering me. Short: I thought he was a *&^%. So, it didn't matter to me whether he got his twenty million or his assignment or if they threw him off a bridge in Calcutta (or wherever).

Journal Entry 6 by trekwoman at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/2/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

[R: Birthday surprise!]

Journal Entry 7 by bet80 from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
Thank you for thinking of me on my birthday. How GENEROUS! It was a great day.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, August 15, 2009
Interesting story, but not very believable. It is a fun read, I just like the suspence and mysteries to be believable.

CAUGHT IN CAPE CORAL FL USA

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, October 29, 2010
Received today from bet80

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, June 02, 2011
Pulled from ABC Bookbox. My daughter was here helping with my overgrown yard, and has taken it with her thinking her hubby would enjoy ~and she's promised to journal and release it after reading.