Year of Wonders

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Rivercassini of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 7/27/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 27, 2008
PC - bought because it's my reading group selection for September 08

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 10, 2008
I really enjoyed reading this semsi-historical tale of the inhabitants of the village of Eyam who, when they discover they have been afflicted by an outbreak of bubonic plague, adopt a self-imposed quarantine to prevent the plague spreading to surrounding area. Based on real events in the 17th century, the villagers struggle, and sometimes fail, to maintain their hope and humanity under the most trying of circumstances. The story is told through the eyes of Anna, the servant of the local rector and his wife, Elinor, whom she greatly admires.

Written in a simple, engaging style, with just enough use of 17th language for credibility and flavour, but not to much to make it hard to read, The Year of Wonders is indeed full of wonders as well as pain and grief, as Anna loses first, her husband, then her lover, then her two young sons, her father and her friends.

The novel left me wanting to find out more about the village of Eyam and the villages experiences.

This is the second Geraldine Brooke novel that I've read and I shall certainly be on the look out for more; in fact, I think I may have a coop of March on Mount TBR already...

Read August 2008.