Ben, in the World

by Doris May Lessing | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bearyfriend of Singapore, Singapore Singapore on 7/18/2008
Journal Entry 1 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Friday, July 18, 2008
An extra copy I got from the NLB Book Sale held at Singapore Expo.

This is the sequel to The Fifth Child, so guessed I'll have to wait till I read that first. This book continues the story of Ben Lovatt from The Fifth Child.

Journal Entry 2 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In this sequel, Ben Lovatt is loosed on the wider world; how that world receives him, and how he fares in it, will keep the reader of Ben, in the World enthralled and on tenterhooks until its dramatic finale.

Participants so far:
5. sunfi (USA)
6. trekwoman (USA)
7. rebeccaljames (USA)
RAY ENDS HERE

Journal Entry 3 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Sorry for the delay. I'll go to the post office tomorrow and get this book out to UK.

Journal Entry 4 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Arrived today - thank you. I have found myself in a bit of a logjam with rings and rays but will pull out all the stops to keep this moving as quickly as I can.

Journal Entry 5 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, August 16, 2008
I found this a moving read, sad at Ben's inability to find a place for himself in the world - or rather the world's exploitation of him by one means or another. And yet, there is something that stops me giving it a 10. Nevertheless I am grateful for the chance to follow up The Fifth Child, so thank you for including me. I have pm'd the next person and will journal again when the book has been posted.

Journal Entry 6 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Posted to Switzerland yesterday.

Journal Entry 7 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, September 04, 2008
Arrived yesterday safe and sound. Many thanks.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and will not take it with me as I fear it will not withstand rough treatment. So will make a start on it when I get back in a couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 8 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, November 06, 2008
I enjoyed this book much more than The Fifth Child.

It was a little far fetched but enjoyable none the less. Where many authors would have chosen to make this book humourous Lessing presents us with a dark and stark view of a world where people are quick to exploit and soon turn their backs on people who they recognize are in need of them.

Journal Entry 9 by marko167 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 24, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/20/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent last Thursday, apologies for the delay, have been away on business and not been able to keep up with everything.

Journal Entry 10 by Cinnamon234 from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, December 04, 2008
Thank you, the book has arrived to Finland. I am trying to read it before New Years.

Journal Entry 11 by Cinnamon234 from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Thank you bearyfriend for organizing this bookray!

It was interesting to read about what happened to Ben. The first book might have been more captivating but this was interesting as well.

Will be mailing the book to next reader tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by wingsota48wing from Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, January 16, 2009
Thank you! The book was in my letter box when I got home from work this evening. I look forward to find out what happened to Ben. Only I have 1,5 book to read before I start on Ben's story.

Journal Entry 13 by wingsota48wing from Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
I liked "The fifth Child" and was looking forward to see how Ben would be doing. This, however, was a great disappointment. I liked how Ben's inner thoughts and feelings were described, but how likely is it that people would take him travelling; trust him with "valuable goods" and offer him a part in a film? Sorry, this was not my cup of tea.

I have PM'ed Sunfi and will post as soon as I have the address.

Journal Entry 14 by wingsota48wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/7/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book travels to sunfi today by air mail.

Journal Entry 15 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 21, 2009
This one and another ring were waiting for me when I got back from my work trip. I have 7 rings/rays ahead of this one so I will have it on it's way to the next reader in the next 8 weeks or so (probably sooner though). Thanks sota48 for mailing this to me and thanks to bearyfriend for including me in the ray.

Journal Entry 16 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 05, 2009
I read and enjoyed The Fifth Child, it wasn't like anything that I had ever read before. I did enjoy Ben in the World and found it to be a very sad reflection of our current society, with everyone out for only themselves and using anyone they must to get what they want. I'll have this off to trekwoman in the next few days. Thanks for including me in this one bearyfriend.

Journal Entry 17 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Monday, April 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

It's on its way, it should be arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 18 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Thursday, April 09, 2009
Ben was waiting in my mailbox when I came home from taking relatives to hospital today. He was a sight for sore (and overly tired) eyes. I'll get started reading tomorrow and hopefully have him on the way again in the early part of next week.

Journal Entry 19 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Thursday, April 09, 2009
I read halfway through the novel and then had to stop. It brought back too many painful memories. I was engaged to a man who behaved very nearly as Ben did, though not in a feral sense. He, too, had a child-like, unemotional sense of the world around him, a depth of rage and an inability to connect or empathize with others.

He was very intelligent, and yet, it almost made no difference as people of all stripe would constantly cheat and manipulate him, too, because they could.

When I have the next participant's address, I will put this in the post.

This book could not possibly have a happy ending for Ben, and knowing this, I didn't want to finish it.

Released 10 yrs ago (4/13/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This book is headed for Rebeccaljames.

Journal Entry 21 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Saturday, April 18, 2009
Just wanted to note, the book was not actually in the post until today. Hadn't had the time to make it to our Post Office, sorry for the delay. It is indeed traveling, though!

Journal Entry 22 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Monday, June 22, 2009
I'm offering another copy of Ben, in the World to continue this ray.

It will be continued as a ring, and the last reader will send book back to me after she's done reading it. Thanks for the willingness to send int'l =)

Journal Entry 23 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I received this book a while ago. I'm sorry for taking so long before opening my mail. I have had family problems plus school work on top of that. I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing.