Year of Wonders

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142001430 Global Overview for this book
Registered by dancing-dog of Cordova, Tennessee USA on 7/18/2008
Journal Entry 1 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, July 18, 2008
from amazon.com:
Year of Wonders describes the 17th-century plague that is carried from London to a small Derbyshire village by an itinerant tailor. As villagers begin, one by one, to die, the rest face a choice: do they flee their village in hope of outrunning the plague or do they stay? The lord of the manor & his family pack up & leave. The rector, Michael Mompellion, argues forcefully that the villagers should stay put, isolate themselves from neighboring towns and villages, & prevent the contagion from spreading. His oratory wins the day & the village turns in on itself. Cocooned from the outside world & ravaged by the disease, its inhabitants struggle to retain their humanity in the face of the disaster. The narrator, the young widow Anna Frith, is one of the few who succeeds. With Mompellion & his wife, Elinor, she tends to the dying & battles to prevent her fellow villagers from descending into drink, violence, & superstition. All is complicated by the intense, inexpressible feelings she develops for both the rector & his wife.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have never read any fiction set in this era and I really enjoyed this story.

Journal Entry 2 by nvangel2073 from Moab, Utah USA on Friday, August 08, 2008
thank you so much for this book. I got this book from dancing-dog part of the Olympic Triple Happiness Day

Journal Entry 3 by nvangel2073 from Moab, Utah USA on Monday, September 08, 2008
I love it.

Finished reading 9-5-08

Journal Entry 4 by nvangel2073 at Moab, Utah USA on Monday, November 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/1/2010 UTC) at Moab, Utah USA

sending to HoserLauren for her birthday!

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 09, 2010
I got this in a fabulous birthday package from Nvangel. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 29, 2020
Reading of the plague during the coronavirus outbreak gave some interesting perspective of how much and little things have changed in the past few hundred years. This town sets to isolate itself after a few people fall ill from the plague. An agreement is set up to get supplies dropped off but other than that, they are on their own. The population drops further and further as more succumb to the disease but Anna, the main character, and the rector and his wife work together to help as much as they can.

I found this book very oddly paced. I almost gave it up after the first 60 pages or so but stuck with it and it ebbed and flowed in terms of how interested I was. Some parts were very slow and dull, some quite interesting.

The ending was horrible. It's almost like the author gave the ending to a completely different writer to finish.

For a short book, it took me way too long to finish this.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library - Brada Cres. in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 31, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (8/31/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library - Brada Cres. in Burlington, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.

Journal Entry 8 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 31, 2020
Found in a LFL in Burlington, Ontario, CANADA

Journal Entry 9 by LFLHunter at Little Free Library - Turner Drive in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Released 2 wks ago (9/9/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library - Turner Drive in Burlington, Ontario Canada

I read a fair bit of historical fiction, I'm not sure if I enjoyed this book or not. Parts seamed unbelievable and the ending felt random. I hope the next person who finds this book enjoys it, and also makes a journal entry. I left the book at Turner Drive Book Exchange.