Infidel

by Ayaan Hirsi Ali | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Sternschnuppe28 of Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on 7/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Thursday, July 17, 2008
From Booklist:
Hirsi Ali, internationally acclaimed for her book The Caged Virgin (2006) and her film depicting the oppression of Muslim women, which cost the life of her colleague Theo van Gogh, now offers a compelling memoir of her life. Stripped of her Dutch citizenship and threatened with the same fate as van Gogh, Hirsi Ali continues to defy conventions regarding Muslim women. She writes poignantly of growing up in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya in a strict Muslim family. She was subjected to female circumcision and brutal beatings by a mother who wanted her to conform to the obedience expected of women. With the rising influence of the Muslim Brotherhood in Somalia, her ambitions were even more repressed. She defied a forced marriage and fled to the Netherlands, fighting for the rights of Muslim women and a more open practice of Islam. Her rising political prominence and outspokenness have made her a target of Islamic extremists. Hirsi Ali's spirited recollections and defense of women's rights to independence and self-expression are inspiring to women of all cultures. (Vanessa Bush)

Journal Entry 2 by Sternschnuppe28 at Mainz, A friend -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 17, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (7/17/2008 UTC) at Mainz, A friend -- Controlled Releases

as a RABCK to pinklady60 - enjoy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, July 24, 2008
I recently received an e-mail from my friend Shiela who had just finished reading Infidel and found it to be an amazing book, so I added it to my wishlist. Just a few days later Sternschnuppe28 saw it on my wishlist and sent it to me. I'm absolutely thrilled! Thank you so much for your generosity.

Journal Entry 4 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, October 23, 2008
Hirsi Ali writes about her youth in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Kenya, about her flight to the Netherlands to escape an arranged marriage, her application for political asylum and citizenship and her time as a member of Parliament. She is very critical of the honor killings and abuse of women by fathers, brothers, and husbands, and intolerance of all infidels (non-Muslims) demanded by Islam’s Koran. She considered herself a Muslim until May 2002, when she became an atheist.

Her message throughout the book is that the Western world must stop kidding themselves. “When people say that the values of Islam are compassion, tolerance, and freedom, I look at reality, at real cultures and governments, and I see that it simply isn’t so. People in the West swallow this sort of thing because they have learned not to examine the religions or cultures of minorities too critically, for fear of being called racist” or in the name of freedom of religion.

This is an incredible book, with a powerful message that we in America and the rest of the world must listen to if we are to deal with the festering problem of radical Islam and its influence on our society.

Journal Entry 5 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Sunday, May 31, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/1/2009 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

I'm sending this book to judygreeneyes to continue a bookring, which was begun by Erishkigal and stalled along the way. I'm so glad that more people will be able to read this important book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Thank you, pinklady60! I was so bummed when the original disappeared into mailroom limbo. That book, with the order of ring participants and early journals can be found here:
INFIDEL

it might be a good idea to post a quick note under that book as well, so early readers will be notified and can read your journals (or does someone know a way to automatically link them??)

from my original book journal:

an incredible book~ horrifying, informative, inspiring, scary....above all, it makes me want dialogue with Muslims in/from various parts of the world, and people in the Netherlands. And it makes me want to read the Koran, to see what it actually does say. I want to know more, understand more.

Rather than simply pass this on to one person, I'm going to try to get a ring/ray started, hopefully starting some discussion.

there are other journals there, as well as Washington post review and more :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, June 06, 2009
Thanks -- the book has now arrived in San Diego, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm halfway through "The Shack" which is also on book ring, so it shouldn't take me long to start "Infidel".

I pulled this list from the entries for the copy of this book that was lost in the mail in the previous ring. If these folks are still interested, I'll forward the book along.

judygreeneyes US (CA)/international)
boomda181 CANADA (US/international)
lottuli FIN (international)
dg7500 US (us/Can) <--book is here
perryfran US(international)
kobie03 CAN (international)
teuffi UK (anywhere)
Cassiopaeia Wales (International)
mrbaggins1 South Africa (international)
julie2007 AU (au preferred)
sunfi US (international)

Journal Entry 8 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Monday, July 13, 2009
I didn't want anyone to think this book had gotten lost. I read some every day, and am getting close to the end. Very well worth the read, it's an inspiring and eye-opening story. Will pass it along soon!

Update: I'm so glad I read it. It was a rare look into Muslim life in a variety of countries -- Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, and Kenya. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a courageous and intelligent woman -- it will be interesting to see where she goes from here. I appreciate her dedication to the plight of Muslim women. It is a bit unfair, maybe, to "learn" all of this from one person's point of view, so I don't consider myself to be entirely enlightened, but I think on a large scale of Muslim life and life in those countries in which Hirsi Ali lived, there is a lot of general truth, about treatment of women and children in particular.

Journal Entry 9 by boomda181 on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Arrived safe and sound. I will put this at the top of Mount TBR to pass along soon...will type more

Journal Entry 10 by boomda181 on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Yikes, my apologies on the length of time it took for me to read, journal and send this book.

This book was fascinating. Hirsi Ali writes poignantly about her experiences and struggles as a Muslim woman. Infidel made me question my understanding of the plight of Muslim women, I will have to read more on this subject because I am extremely naive.

Journal Entry 11 by boomda181 at Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/13/2009 UTC) at Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

On its way to a very patient lottuli...

Journal Entry 12 by lottuli from Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland on Friday, November 27, 2009
After 45 days in the mail the book has finally arrived in Finland.

I'm in the middle of one book and after finishing that I'll read this ring.

Thank you boomda181 for posting, Erishkigal for the ring and pinklady60 for providing the new book :) I'm really looking forward to read this.

PM sent to dg7500 to receive her address for posting the book.

Journal Entry 13 by lottuli from Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Though there were a few little points were I disagreed with Ayaan or her behaviour, this is a really great book and defenitely worth reading for anyone and everyone. So I must find a copy in Finnish to pass along.

Don't want to ruin the reading experience from anyone, so no spoilers though I'm really sad how some things ended in the book. Must advice you to read the end part carefully; there's a great notice about how the media works sometimes; a TV-interview of Ayaan is turned into making her look like a spoiled brat, liar and overall a bad person. Since my own experiense 15 year ago, I've never blidly belived what the media tries to tell me, it's just too easy to tell only one side of the story. Ayaans book is just her version of the sroty, but a really honest one and thus worth reading!

I've got the address for dg7500 and the book will be in the mail dwithin few days.

Journal Entry 14 by lottuli at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, December 17, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/17/2009 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

In the post to the next reader! Safe travels, little book!

Journal Entry 15 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Wow, talk about speedy delivery: from Helsinki, Finland to the States in 5 days time...and during the holiday mailing rush too! We normally can't even get service like that from the East Coast to the West on a *regular* day here in the States!! LOL

Anyway, wanted to check in to say the book arrived safely. I have 2 other books to finish before starting, but am really looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for including me, Erishkigal ... and thanks to pinklady60 for the replacement book to continue the bookring!!

1/12/10: Heard back from perryfran, and they've asked to be skipped for this bookring. PMing kobie03 next...

Update 1/13: Heard back from kobie03 this morning, have mailing info, and will be passing this long shortly.

Journal Entry 16 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
A fascinating and eye-opening look into the Muslim culture, and in particular the place of women in that world. It made me, once again, count my blessings to be living in an 'enlightened' civilization, where women (while arguably not fully 'equal' even in this day & age) are still regarded as valuable in and of their own right.

*perryfran asked to be skipped, and so I will be mailing this out to kobie03 shortly.

Journal Entry 17 by wingdg7500wing at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/14/2010 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Winging it's way across the border into Canada.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens ..."

Carlos Ruiz Zafon (The Shadow of the Wind)

Journal Entry 18 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Monday, January 25, 2010
Book arrived today. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 19 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, January 27, 2010
An inspiring and informative story as Ayaan recounts her incredible journey growing up in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Kenya adhering to extreme Islamic beliefs. She vividly describes the plight of women and girls in that tribal male-dominated world. The genital mutlitation is barbaric and it's hard to understand how mothers and grandmothers could let this happen to their precious girls.Its amazing what people endure in the name of religion. She says on p.347 she had" moved from the world of faith to the world of reason-from the world of excision and forced marriage to the world of sexual emancipation." May her work led other women and men to the same world.
Thanks dq7500 for sharing this powerful book.
teuffi has read the book and wanys to be skipped so I'll mail it to Cassiopaeia.

Journal Entry 20 by kobie03 at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/27/2010 UTC) at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland -- Controlled Releases

mailed to Cassiopaeia.

Journal Entry 21 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 08, 2010
Thank you very much kobie03, Infidel arrived today! A short wait before I can start it but it will be my next read.

The Opera House reflected in the fountain.

Journal Entry 22 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 21, 2010
A very interesting book with much food for thought. Now packed up and ready to be posted to South Africa.

Journal Entry 23 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/24/2010 UTC) at Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Now on the way to mrbaggins1 in South Africa.

Journal Entry 24 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, April 15, 2010
Arrived in South Africa today. Thank you for the lovely bookmarks & the postcard. The Thatu sticker on the outside of the envelope with its colourful stamps is going into my personal diary

Journal Entry 25 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Sunday, June 13, 2010
Please note that the book is still with me and I'll get around to it soon - have one to read before this one. Sorry, I'm in a bit of a reading slump.

Journal Entry 26 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, September 02, 2010
Posting to sunfi in the US by surface mail tomorrow. I did not read it but heartgirl, my partner snarfed it when I wanted to post it! Book was a bit worse for wear but I repaired it and it's good to travel for a very long time.

Journal Entry 27 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, September 03, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/3/2010 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Posting to Sunfi by surface mail today

Journal Entry 28 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Thursday, September 16, 2010
Just arrived safely here in Ohio. I have a number of other rings/rays in my possession but I keep my profile updated on a weekly basis so you can always see how close this is to the top of the list.

Update: 19 Nov 10 - I've tried a couple time and I just haven't been able to get into this one. I've contacted the organizer to see what they would like me to do with the book, since I'm the last one on the list.