How Does Aspirin Find a Headache?: An Imponderables Book (Imponderables)

by David Feldman | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 7/13/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 13, 2008
Yesterday, I happened upon a yard sale with all books 6/$1, even hardbacks. I was thrilled to discover this treasure. I read another Imponderables book last year and really enjoyed it, so I was very pleased to find another one.

From the cover -
It may be the kind of nagging question that keeps distarcting you from your work, like, What is that sandy stuff that you always find in the pockets of jeans? It may be the sort of annoying riddle that has you losing sleep, like, What happens to the holes that are punched out of looseleaf paper? It may be the type of perplexing dilemma that leads to a full-blown, sinus-racking headache, like, Just what does Barney Rubble do for a living? In desperation you reach for an aspirin... ah, sweet relief!... But... but, you wonder, How does aspirin find a headache?
This time, instead of the aspirin bottle, reach for the latest and greatest of David Feldman's Imponderables books and find the answers to the conundrums that, whether you realize it or not, have been obsessing you since the very beginning of your life, when you undoubtedly asked yourself why we learn printing before cursive handwriting. Later, you certainly wondered why 21 was the age you had to reach before you became an adult (and, along the way, probably tried to figure at what age a kid becomes a goat). And once adulthood arrived, the real philosophical quandries arrived with it - like understanding why green cards aren't in fact green, and why the Three Musketeers didn't actually carry muskets. The wait is over: the answers to all of those questions, and dozens more, can be found within the covers of this book.
With more than one million copies in print, Imponderables has established itself as one of the most popular and beloved series of recent years. For only a few $ (where did that symbol come from?), How Does Aspirin Find a Headache? will restore your mental equilibrium, make you the hit of any party (where you can confidently explain why beer doesn't come in plastic containers), and leave you with a smile (not to mention a pretty good idea of why those people in old photographs never, never smiled).

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 07, 2012
I do enjoy reading these books, with all their little tidbits of knowledge. But I must admit to wondering, while I'm reading them, whether some of the items are out of date now. There was a section near the end about writing checks in the grocery store. I'm sure some of this is still true, but nowadays so many people use debit/credit cards that most customers aren't affected by the holdup of the line by people using personal checks. And in these days of oversized monitors and various wireless devices it seems an anachronism to read about a monitor only having 80 characters across! But still, lots of interesting info here; fun to ponder the imponderables :)

This will soon be part of my Biographies of Things bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Biographies of Things, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/13/2012 UTC) at Biographies of Things, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending out in my Biographies of Things bookbox. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by innae at Aurora, Colorado USA on Friday, March 02, 2012
I have flipped through this book before, and it is not as entertaining as I wanted it to be..so going to put this one back in MaryZee's books about things bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, April 02, 2012
This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California before continuing its travels with the Biographies of Things bookbox!

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, September 21, 2012
Selected this from the Biographies of Things book box based on its title alone, since that is one of my burning unanswered questions. After rearranging the box contents and looking through the notes, I realize it is the last of the books Mary put in the box when she started it. Although one of the titles I added (another Imponderables book) was the same as one that she started the box with, none of the books themselves were ones that she had ever had on her BC shelf, which I think is amazing. Wish she had been able to enjoy that.

Actually started reading this a bit last night and have enjoyed learning some new things already.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 06, 2012
I love the random questions and musings that get answered in these books (my favorite is probably "Does SuperGlue stick to Teflon?" -- I would never have wondered about that myself). I did learn some very interesting facts that will stay with me (including how aspirin finds a headache) and a lot of stuff I will forget only to be reminded later on.

All in all a fun, quick read, informative, and nicely broken up into little nibbles for those moments when you have only a moment to read.

I think I will hang onto this, since we hope to get MaryZee's Biographies of Things Book Box going again next year in her memory and this would be a good addition.

Journal Entry 8 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/3/2012 UTC) at Westminster, Maryland USA

I took this to the mini-meet-up at Birdie's in Westminster in honor of MaryZee. I think this ended up on the OBCZ shelf when the whole thing was over.