The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ResQgeek of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 7/23/2008
Journal Entry 1 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Another selection from the Amazon.com vine program. This is an Advance Reading Copy, to be read and reviewed.

Journal Entry 2 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 31, 2008
In the aftermath of World War II, Juliet Ashton is looking for a way to rebuild her life and put the war behind her. When she receives a letter from a stranger on the island of Guernsey, little does she suspect the changes it will bring about in her life. She begins a correspondence with the residents of the island, fascinated by their stories of the German occupation. Initially interested in writing a story about their experiences, finds herself drawn ever further into their community.

Along the way we learn about life on Guernsey during the German occupation and get a glimpse of the beauty of the island and its people. Written almost entirely in the form of correspondence between the characters, this story also highlights the power of the lost art of letter writing as a medium of communication. A wonderful little book that shows the power of the human spirit to shine through even the most difficult of circumstances.

Journal Entry 3 by ResQgeek at Campbell, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, July 31, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (7/31/2008 UTC) at Campbell, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Let's see: This book is about books and booklovers, AND it is about World War II, AND it is about Guernsey...

I know exactly who this book needs to visit next, so I'm off the the post office to ship it down under. Enjoy, my friend!

Countries this book has visited:

Visited Countries

Visited Countries Map from TravelBlog

U.S. States this book as visited:

Visited States

Visited US States Map from TravelBlog

Journal Entry 4 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 05, 2008
My bank balance permanently bumps along the bottom - from the underneath, mostly - but I don't care. I'm rich. Rich in the things that really count.

A parcel has just arrived in the mail from one of my BookCrossing friends on the other side of the world from my Canberra home. He calls himself ResQgeek as a nom-de-web, and he lives in Alexandria, Virginia. He's sent me a copy of a book he knows I'll like. Just a gift, free and clear, out of the blue. A happy surprise for me, checking the morning mail and the monthly gloom from the bank.

BookCrossing is the act of leaving a book in a public place for a stranger to find, who then does likewise. It's an odd notion, but one that works through a computer numbering system to bind the world up in links of random generosity and books. And an expanding network of friends who share the lunacy.

Such wonderful people I've met through BookCrossing. I share their books, I share their blogs and web forum entries and sometimes I share their lives. Meeting one of my online friends is a special joy. Here is the person, warm and living and smiling, who has previously just been letters and words and pixels on a computer screen. We feel as if we know each other already.

I first met ResQgeek - he's an emergency rescue worker, hence the screen name - on my first big overseas trip in 2005. I'd never been further than New Zealand before, and New Zealand for an Australian is like crossing a state border where they have a different accent, but here I was in Dulles airport in Washington DC, where my Australian summer of t-shirt and shorts had been suddenly switched to a cold winter with snow in the air, heavy coats and gloves. It was like walking into a freezer. I had been processed by dozens of impersonal airline, security, customs and immigration officials over the past twenty-four hours, told where to stand, where to sit, what to eat. I'd had very little sleep and I was highly excited and bewildered, struggling to process the new experiences in this strange foreign land, where everything was different.

And here was ResQgeek, waiting at the baggage carousel, watching my big yellow BookCrossing.com tote bag go around and around to see who would step up to claim it. I almost hugged him, I was so glad to see a friendly face. He told me where to go, where to sit - I was sitting in the driver's seat of a car, except they'd moved the steering wheel across to the other side - and then overloaded me even further by giving me a tour of all the famous Washington landmarks, floodlit and grand in the frozen night. I loved him for his kindness and generosity to a bewildered traveller.

We swapped more books then and in the following years, met each other again a couple of times on different continents, and I'm always charmed to read online of his life and his home and his family. We'll catch up again, I'm sure, and have another book-related adventure together.

I open the parcel and here's the book: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society". My heart beats extra fast, and though it's a cold Canberra winter, with snow on the hills, it's a sudden summer glow for me. I love Guernsey.

Guernsey is an island in the Channel, tucked away closer to Normandy than England. Just a tiny place, one small town, a few villages, and farmhouses sprinkled over the green land between. Cliffs in the south and shingle beaches in the north. Ridiculously bosky and a postcard view at every corner.

There was a flurry on the forum one evening. Tune into BBC Radio Guernsey on the internet radio and they'll be talking about BookCrossing. So around the world we went to the website, opened up the streaming radio player, and listened as a leading British BookCrosser was interviewed by Jenny Kendall-Tobias, who presented a local talk show. She had a happy on-air personality, and one of those voices with a smile in it, and she grew ever more enthusiastic as she learnt about BookCrossing and the strange and wonderful journeys of some of the books registered on the site. Around the world we listened, and we sent her emails, and she read them out, astonished to find her talkback show on island life a sudden focus of global attention.

I was charmed, and kept listening even after the interview was over. She couldn't stop talking about BookCrossing, and quizzed following studio guests about their books, where they might leave them if they joined BookCrossing and wasn't it a great idea?

I tuned in the next night, and the next and soon I was happily absorbed in Guernsey life, this ancient community where the laws are written in a variant of French, and the head of state is the Duke of Normandy, in the guise of the Queen, descendant of William the Conqueror.

I exchanged emails during the shows with Jenny. She found some of the things I had to say amusing, and she read them out on air. I'd laugh at her jokes and look up things on the web, learning about the island and its history, the language, the culture, the occupation by the Germans in WW2, the local cooking.

ResQgeek in Washington also tuned in. In his early morning and my late evening, we'd listen to Jenny's show, two men enthralled by a tall blonde with a smile in her voice.

So, I guess that when I visited Paris and London, it was a foregone conclusion that I'd travel via Guernsey. You cannot believe how broad my smile was when I tuned the radio in my Normandy hire car to BBC Radio Guernsey and could listen in real life. I took the ferry from St Malo, arrived in St Peter Port late in the evening, and the next morning I was at the studio, where I met Jenny, a few minutes before her show.

I didn't hold back. I hugged her. Hard. She was kind enough to take me into the studio with her, and I was interviewed, and then sat in as a special guest as she talked to local lawyers, dance competition winners, a visiting archaeologist and took calls from around the island. And around the world, because ResQgeek and a few other BookCrossing friends were tuned in, sending emails.

And then she showed me around. We visited government offices, the old centre of town where the Romans had lived, scenic lookouts, narrow twisting roads up to a village high over the bay, France a smudge on the eastern horizon. We had a late lunch and then she sat me down in the town concert hall while she ran through a dress rehearsal of "Singin' in the Rain", where she played dual roles of a showgirl and a radio journalist.

I hugged her again when she dropped me off at my hotel, and as I waited in the tiny air terminal the next morning, I resolved to return.

Which I did earlier this year, my wife and I spending a marvellous few days exploring the island, cliff-top walks, the old Castle guarding the harbour, the ugly grey cement fortifications built by the Germans on every headland, the cobblestoned streets, the restaurants. I bought a genuine fisherman's guernsey, a heavy blue oiled wool pullover that is now my constant overgarment in cold weather.

And I sighed in mixed satisfaction and sadness as our ferry pulled away and the cottages on the hillside faded into the distance.

I've had many adventures in my BookCrossing life, and I've met any number of wonderful people, but there is a special place in my heart for ResQgeek in Washington, and Jenny in Guernsey. Very different people and places, but I love them both.

So it was a thrill for me to find a book about Guernsey, sent by ResQgeek. Money can't buy the happiness I felt on opening the package. Just glancing at the blurb on the back cover, and opening pages at random, I'm sure I'll love it. It's a story of a secret society during the German Occupation. Plotting against the Nazis, the locals disguised their activities by meeting to discuss books and local cooking.

I can't wait to begin. So, for the next few days, I'll be the guy with a goofy grin, greedily reading of an enchanted island, and dreaming of the times I've had and the people I've met.

My bank card might have been scraped empty, and maybe I'll find Potato Peel Pie all I can afford, but in the things that really matter, I'm a millionaire.

Journal Entry 5 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Couldn't resist this snippet from the bottom of page ten:
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true."

Journal Entry 6 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, August 07, 2008
I've finished the book. Sheer delight all the way. Some great characters, lots of romance, atmosphere, tension, a satisfactory ending. Highly recommend.

I'm also grateful for learning more about this lovely little place and its people. It might not be a tropical island with golden beaches, but it is utterly charming. St Peter Port with its houses, shops halls and churches climbing the hill above the harbour where the daily ferry has to turn about outside the entrance and back cautiously in. The countryside with its farms and lanes, the sea never far away. The cliffs with their gorse and seabirds, wooden benches at the best bits. And the great grey German fortifications at every turn.

I've visited that sweet little chapel made of broken pottery. And the vast, dank underground hospital, where proclamations, identity cards and newspapers from the war years are displayed.

It must have been a dreadful time, with the starvation in this sweet land. The forced labour as the slaveworkers threw up the foolish emplacements and dug out these great useless holes. The hospital was used for a day for a few of the wounded from D-Day, and then they were brought back out into the fresh air. That was it.

All that suffering for nothing.

The book balances heaven and hell, the good Germans and the evil. And the different views of the Guernsey folk. And their approaches to literature.

I cannot help but make a comparison with that other wonderful book of letters, 84 Charing Cross Road. This one is set around the same time, but moves quicker. And of course, setting aside, it's fictional. But they'll make a movie of this - no doubt about it. The actors had best stop eating now, if they want to look the part.

I'm letting Kerri read this, and then it's up for grabs. No wild releasing.

Journal Entry 7 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, August 25, 2008
Bookcrossing has a lot to explain in my life! Walking to the bus today, I checked the mail box (as I usually do - being the mail junkie that I am!) and there were TWO packages for me! Both (although one indirectly) from people I've been lucky enough to meet through Bookcrossing. In fact, they were both at the first BC convention I ever attended, way back at the beginning of 2007.

For the months preceding the convention we held in Wellington,Sherlockfan had been talking and talking (I'm surprised my ear is still attached!) about how amazing Skyring was, and after that wonderful weekend (woooo alliteration!) I totally agreed, there are few people I hold so highly in my esteem as Skyring.

So thank you Pete, not just for the book, but for the fantastic memories, and all the smiles you've given me. Truly appreciated.

I'm adding this to Mt.TBR but I don't think it'll take long to get to the top!

Hope you enjoy the smile! Cos I sure did :D

Journal Entry 8 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
It's not the dawn of the sun rising in the east, it's the glow of your smile!

Journal Entry 9 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
lol! Actually that pic was taken around (this is embarrasing given my wet 'just out of the shower' hair) 1pm....darned rain makes it look earlier than it is!!

Journal Entry 10 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, August 30, 2008
I'm up to page 21 and already want a copy of this for myself! I suspect this is going to go on my fave books list! :D

Journal Entry 11 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Wow! What a fantastic book!! I am definitely adding this to my list of fave reads, and will get myself a copy of this at some point! Thought it was exceptionally well written, had a wonderful plot, and an awesome ending!! LOVED the characters!! This was one of those books I sat down to read and didn't want any distractions, when I was interrupted I felt like I was being pulled out of the book kicking and screaming! Not a happy DL :p Now I definitely want to go to Guernsey, see if it is how the book describes it.

I'm starting a ray for this cos there are about 3 people I want to send this too, will pm the people who have it on their wishlist (only about 20 or so!) and see if anyone is interested.

Journal Entry 12 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, September 12, 2008
I haven't had any emails about this for a couple of days so it's probably ready to start its travels!!

Here's who its going to:

Ruby11 (AKL, NZ)
Seethroughfaith (Finland, EU)
Qantaqa (Germany, EU)
Risa29 (Luxembourg, EU)
Nell-Lu (Edinburgh, Scotland)
JoolsW (West Yorkshire, England)
CITIBELLE (Hereford, England)
MissMarkey (Oxfordshire, England)
AnglersRest (Devon, England)
Vekiki (London, England)
Jozebedee (Cheshire, England)
KiwiinEngland (Dublin, Ireland)
CynthiaA (Ontario, Canada)
Pooker3 (Winnipeg, Canada)
NMReader (New Mexico, USA)
Sarradee (Texas, USA)
Purrabella (Florida, USA)
Hopi100 (Virginia, USA)
Carenhf (New Jersey, USA)
Krl112 (New Jersey, USA)
ComradeCamper (slowish reader; close to end, Wisconsin, USA)
Lobodyke (Kentucky, USA)
WingedMan (last, Kentucky, USA)

I'm going to say its closed to any new people, unless WingedMan decides to continue it on, mostly cos its taken me AGES trying to figure out where to put you all!

Once you get the book, please journal it, then journal it again when you have done, and send it on to the next person. If it is going to take longer than 3 weeks to read, please make a journal entry so we know it hasn't been lost! But most of all, ENJOY!

And I will send it tomorrow :-)

Journal Entry 13 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, September 13, 2008
Crikey! You've started something, ResQgeek!

I notice this book's heading to New Jersey - that's something! Is there a New Guernsey anywhere?

Journal Entry 14 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, September 14, 2008
Is there a New Guernsey anywhere?

Lol!! I did a search on google maps and it didn't find anything!!

And I PROMISE I am sending this tomorrow, keep having issues with internet not working at home to retrive the address from my email/running late/forgetting to do it the night before, but I've written a note on my hand now, and WILL remember!!

Journal Entry 15 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/17/2008 UTC) at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand

Sent to the first participant, Ruby11. Should be there in 1-3 working days.

Did you know that the next World Convention is going to be held right here in Christchurch, New Zealand in April 2009! We would love to welcome you along :D Check out our website!

Please help us get Moem from the Netherlands to New Zealand to promote the Dutch Convention. Check out our website

Journal Entry 16 by ruby11 from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, September 21, 2008
Not one, but two lovely treats arrived in my letter box on Saturday, I couldn't help but begin to devour them simultaneously! Thank you discoverylover. Such great journal entries too and real life connections to Guernsey, Bookcrossing magic.

Journal Entry 17 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, September 25, 2008
Love the map! That is truly awesome! Pity you can't do individual states in the USA :(

Journal Entry 18 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, September 26, 2008
He can, you know...

Journal Entry 19 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, September 26, 2008
Yes, he can...and he did.

Journal Entry 20 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, September 26, 2008
Fine then!! (PS help I'm running out of (readable) font colours! I'm going to have to look some up soon!!)

Journal Entry 21 by ruby11 from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
I really enjoyed this book and it took me to what I can only describe as "my happy reading place". I remember feeling the same when I read Secret Life of Bees, a completely different story but it evoked the same kind of feeling for me. I especially liked the characters and learning about the history of the Channel Islands. Thanks for a delightful read.

Journal Entry 22 by ruby11 at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/30/2008 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Posted to rarsberry today (1/10/08).

Journal Entry 23 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, October 03, 2008
This book came in the mail today.
Thank you ruby11 for the book and the goodie. I put it in the freezer as its a warm day here and its a bit soft. :o)
I will start this book after I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 24 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Started this book this afternoon. (Wednesday 8)

Journal Entry 25 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Finished this book Monday lunchtime.
It was good to read the book as letters written, though as times I would need to check who was writting and whom it was to, I pretty much ignored the dates.
Glad that she was able to find what made her happy in life.
So sad to hear the stories of what happened to people during and after the war.

Will get the address of the next person on the list and will send it on its way soon.

Journal Entry 26 by marcienz from Kimbell, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, November 01, 2008
I "found" the book with the receptionist at Rarsberry's work.

I'm looking forward to reading it, mainly because I have had a penfriend in Guernsey since 1972. Lately our correspondence is mostly an annual exchange of scenic calendars.

Journal Entry 27 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, November 02, 2008
Scenic calendars! Two of the most scenic places in my world are Christchurch in New Zealand and St Peter Port in Guernsey. I love them both.

Journal Entry 28 by marcienz from Kimbell, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, November 27, 2008
Awesome story! Thanks for the bookring. Not much for me to add to the reviews so I'll find an appropriate photo to put in the book, to go with the newspaper review left by an earlier reader.

I'll send it on to TheLetterB for her to find on her return home from the West Island.

Cheers
Marcienz

Journal Entry 29 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, December 10, 2008
We interrupt your bookring for this message...

MarcieNZ was praising this book at last night's meetup, so I managed to convince her to let me hijack it for a bit on its way to Dunedin. Promise I'll read it quickly and send it on its way as soon as possible!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 30 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, December 11, 2008
Well I suppose I can trust you :p Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 31 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, December 12, 2008
Wow! Thank you so much, Marcie, for talking me into reading this - what a fabulous book! I read it in two rather greedy sittings - one last night until my eyes wouldn't stay open, then the rest this morning.

I didn't even know Guernsey had been occupied, so for a start I learnt something by reading it, but it was really the characters that caught my attention - so incredibly real, and brought to life so well through their letters. And so incredibly believable, too - it wasn't until about half way through the book when one of them used a turn of phrase that sounded a little out of place that I checked the authors' bio on the back cover, and realised the book was written by Americans. I'm impressed. For an American author to convincingly write British characters is a rare thing (just as rare as the reverse :-)).

Definitely one of the better books I've read this year.

^ ^
=+=
v

P.S. See, told you I'd read it quickly :-)

Journal Entry 32 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, December 20, 2008
Book was briefly hijacked by the witch and I had orders to read it straight away and fast. I have followed orders and I am now sitting here bleary eyed as I read until the early hours. To tell you the truth I couldn't put the book down which surprised me as it is a style of book that I normally don't like reading. Unlike Skyring I couldn't even start 84 Charing Cross Road as the way it was written put me off.
I have to now visit Guernsey as it sounds so beautiful and roll on 2009 when hopefully my plans will enable me to be living in the UK.
The characters in the book were so real and believable. I enjoyed the book so much that I will forgive the authors for the couple of times that I noticed American spelling of words. This is something that usually grates on me and I frequently avoid authors who do this.

Journal Entry 33 by TheLetterB from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Saturday, January 03, 2009
The book has arrived with me after a brief detour off its planned route...:) Will be reading it as soon as possible, although I'm moving house three times in the next two weeks (out of one house, and then out of a rental, and into another house) so it might not be as fast a turnaround as I would like!

Journal Entry 34 by TheLetterB from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Monday, January 05, 2009
What a great little book. I whipped through it in one evening (yesterday!) and have been thinking about it all day today. I too thought of the comparison with 84 Charing Cross Road. I found this book to be much more satisfying - but that is probably the difference between real life and a nice tidy fiction.

I was pleased to read the review that had been tucked in the pages, but sad to read that the author is now deceased, as I was hoping to find something else she had written.

I'll be PMing Wombles for her address and hope to get the book in the mail before it gets caught up in the house-packing maelstrom.

Journal Entry 35 by TheLetterB at Ray It Forward, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/8/2009 UTC) at Ray It Forward, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to Wombles today.

Journal Entry 36 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Thursday, January 22, 2009
Wow, this book has been to a few of my favourite bookcrossers :)
Arrived today,I've been so looking forward to this book.
(BTW I hated 84 Charing cross rd, I couldn't even finish reading it I hated it that much)

Journal Entry 37 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Oh how I loved this book, I loved the characters, the storyline, the way it was written, all of it.
I've always really enjoyed epistolary novels.
I had to look up exactly where Guernsey is, though I've read many things about it from Skyring, I didn't really have a clue where it was.
I actually have an idea that I've read another book about Guernsey before but I don't know what it was.

I will contact seethroughfaith and mail it on asap.

Journal Entry 38 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, January 29, 2009
So glad you liked this book, Wombles! The only other novel about the Channel Islands during wartime that I can think of is "Appointment with Venus" or "Appointment with Venus".

Been thinking about Guernsey a lot over the past few days. Darling little island it is.

Journal Entry 39 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Sent off to Finland today...

Journal Entry 40 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, March 07, 2009
The book is here - yippee!

Journal Entry 41 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, March 10, 2009
This is a marvellous book. I've awarded it 10/10 - though in the interests of fairness I think it's a 10- as I found the end just a little unsatisfactory.

This novel was an intriguing portrayal - in snippets - of life in Guernsey before, during and after the German occupation in WW 2. What I loved most about it was the real sense of humour that the book carried - you could almost see Juliet's curly hair bouncing on every page!

I was a little shocked to read that the authors were from Northern California - because the book doesn't have an American taste. Shaffer and Barrows really captured a European feel - thank goodness! I think the spelling was even British English (though I'd have to go check to be sure!) ... whatever :) this is a great book. Highly recommend it to anyone really.

If this weren't a bookring I'd know who to give it to next. As it is I think I'll buy her a copy of it for her birthday :)

I've contacted the next in line for her address so this should skip over to Germany in the next few days.

Thanks for organising this ring. It was a pleasure to take part! The map and cutting at the back added extra interest too. Thanks!

This is definitely the best bookish quote I've come across in a while

"I wonder how the book got [here]? Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true."

Journal Entry 42 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Friday, March 13, 2009
Wooohooo - the book arrived today! Thanks so much for sending and for the ring. I'm so looking forward to reading this book - I can't wait to get started.

Journal Entry 43 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Monday, March 30, 2009
As quite often happens, I'm afraid I was just a tiny bit disappointed because I had such high expectations which the book just couldn't live up to. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the story a lot and definitely enjoyed reading it, but I found there was just something missing to acutally make it a *great* book.
Thanks so much for offering this as a ring! The book is already on its way to Risa29.

Journal Entry 44 by Risa29 from Käerjeng, Kanton Capellen Luxembourg on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
The book has arrived in Luxembourg.

Journal Entry 45 by marcienz from Kimbell, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, April 03, 2009
Attention Skyring and Wombles: In your journal entries you mentioned another book set in Guernsey. I also read one, many years ago, and have just remembered the name of it. There are six registered here at Bookcrossing.com and one (http://bookcrossing.com/journal/6760156) is reserved for THE convention. The review on this one (http://bookcrossing.com/journal/5065583) mentions the setting.

Journal Entry 46 by Risa29 from Käerjeng, Kanton Capellen Luxembourg on Thursday, April 16, 2009
I've just ordered a copy of this book at amazon. I simply have to have it in my PC.
I loved the book. Although the stories of the German occupation and the war are sad, terrible and making me sick, the book itself is charming and despite the stories an enjoyable read.

It makes me sad to think that the author Mary Ann Shaffner only wrote this one novel (She died in February 2008). I would have liked to read more.

Journal Entry 47 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 20, 2009
Wow! What a lot of great JEs, and what a lot of people (hello everyone! *waves*) have read and enjoyed this book. Thank you, everyone, for getting it to me. I'm halfway through Omega Minor, so I'll get onto this book as soon as I finish. I'm looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 48 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 24, 2009
I read this in one sitting last night (hooray for evenings off!). It's an easy, fun read. The idea of books changing people's lives and bringing people together is very appealing. There's a good sprinkling of history - little-known history at that, as the German occupation of Geurnsey isn't something that gets much coverage. There is an interesting range of characters. There are lots of books! There are good people and bravery and folk helping each other cope with shocking, awful things. There are witty letters and amusing exchanges. It's all good.

On the down side, I was very disappointed that there is a non-letters section near the end; I was enjoying the epistolary form. I found some of the characterisation weak (and some patronising). The language felt wrong in a few places, for example where Scots phrases were used by Channel islanders. The, very pleasing, epistolary form brings with it some problems; mainly, the need to tell one's correspondent things they already know, for the sake of the reader. I found the plot a little pedestrian.

So, the critical side of me insists that this isn't great literature. But, the relaxed side wins by pointing out that it is a great read!

I have JoolsW's address and will send this out tomorrow. Thanks again, everyone, for sharing.

Journal Entry 49 by JoolsW from Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Wow! This is a well travelled and much loved book! I've been looking forward to reading this one for ages (since the time I first read Skyring's journal entry, posted in Site Watch several months ago, and which made me cry like a baby... thanks Skyring ; )

Having read all the subsequent journal entries I'm fairly certain I won't be disappointed : )

Thanks for posting the book so promptly to me Nell-Lu : )

Journal Entry 50 by JoolsW from Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I loved this book from start to finish. What more can I say? It was a delightful read, beautifully written, with strong and likeable characters. Highly recommended.

Thanks for organising this ray, ((DL))

Released 9 yrs ago (5/26/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

CITIBELLE has asked to be skipped as she has already read the book, so it's now on its way to MissMarkey.

Enjoy : )

Journal Entry 52 by wingMissMarkeywing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 28, 2009
Received today from Jools along with postcards and a nice bar of chocolate to eat whilst reading the book. Thank you Jools.

Journal Entry 53 by wingMissMarkeywing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 05, 2009
I hardly dare say this really but to be true to myself I must..... I didn't like it. I'm sure I'll love Guernsey when I get to visit one day but this book is not for me. Pm'ing Angler's Rest who is next on the list.

Journal Entry 54 by wingMissMarkeywing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 04, 2009
Sent to Anglers Rest in June 2009. I obviously forgot to journal at the time. (silly me)

Journal Entry 55 by wingMissMarkeywing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 01, 2009
I have pm'd Angler's Rest with no reply. I will pm again today. Shame that this book has stalled as it is so well travelled so far:(

Journal Entry 56 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, October 11, 2009
Apologies! The book arrived as I was about to head into domestic chaos - illness and a poorly Mum.

I loved this book. It was a refreshing read on what could have been a very depressing and heavy subject, and I think that it is easy to forget that Jersey was occupied during WWII.

Just about to PM the next reader and hopefully will be off in the post on Thursday.

Journal Entry 57 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, October 19, 2009
Just rec the next reader's address, therefore in the post on Wed 21st Oct.