A Lifetime Burning

by Linda Gillard | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1905175256 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Betty22 of Wandsworth, Greater London United Kingdom on 7/7/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Betty22 from Wandsworth, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 07, 2008
Although I enjoyed this, I found it quite disturbing, and found some of the characteres annoying. having said this, I will look out for more books by her, as she is a bookcrossing author.
Taking to the London meet tomrrow night to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 2 by Janey-Liz from -- Somewhere in Shropshire, Shropshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 11, 2008
I picked this up at the London Meet up on Tuesday and have been reading it ever since. I thoroughly enjoyed the style of the book, in the way that the other flits between different times, giving you a different bit of the story each time. It makes for a very absorbing it read. It is a very sad and painful story, about how love can really mess up your life!

Taking to the London meetup this evening.

Journal Entry 4 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 11, 2008
Brought this home from the meet-up at the Camel and Artichoke a couple of nights ago. I've added it to my already heaving TBR mountain.

Journal Entry 5 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, October 03, 2008
Reading this novel made me very uncomfortable: I enjoyed it but, dealing with such troubling subjects as incest, betrayal and familial falsity, I felt guilty about enjoying it. Gillard forces the reader quite subtlely to question the basis of their own family relationships while telling a mesmoriphoc tale. I found some of the characters a little unbelievable and, towards the end, the story unfolding became incredible: can one family really comprise so many dysfunctional members and suffer such a long series of disasters. But on reflection I don't Gillard was trying for realism - after all the novel begins with conversation with a dead person! Rather, what comes across is the important of understanding the consequences of actions and reactions and the fact that they may be played out on others in the most cruel manner.

Can anyone actually be as good and forgiving as Father Hugh?

I shall certainly be looking out for more of Gillard's novels to read.

Will probably take along to the next meet at the Camel and Artichoke unless someone requests it first.

Read September 2008.

Journal Entry 6 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 12, 2008
I'm opening this book up as a book ring (ie I want it back at the end of its travels. If you would like to join, please send me a PM

Some brief "notes"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) * Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!

Participants

Nu-Knees
Nell-Lu

Released 10 yrs ago (7/26/2009 UTC) at Cafe Rouge, Wimbledon Village in Wimbledon, Greater London United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - Rivercassini - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading