Curious Life of Robert Hooke

by Lisa Jardine | History |
Registered by wingCassiopaeiawing of Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on 7/6/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 08, 2011
Description from Amazon
A biography of a brilliant, largely forgotten maverick -- a major figure in the seventeenth century cultural and scientific revolutions The brilliant, largely forgotten maverick Robert Hooke was an engineer, surveyor, architect and inventor who was appointed London's Chief Surveyor after the Great Fire of 1666. Throughout the 1670s he worked tirelessly with his intimate friend Christopher Wren to rebuild London, personally designing many notable public and private buildings, including the Monument to the fire. He was the first Curator of Experiments at the Royal Society, and author and illustrator of Micrographia, a lavishly illustrated volume of fascinating engravings of natural phenomena as seen under the new microscope. He designed an early balance-spring watch, was a virtuoso performer of public anatomical dissections of animals, and kept himself going with liberal doses of cannabis and poppy water (laudanum). Hooke's personal diaries -- as cryptically confessional as anything Pepys wrote -- record a life rich with melodrama. He came to London as a fatherless boy of thirteen to seek his fortune as a painter, rising by his wits to become an intellectual celebrity. He never married, but formed a long-running illicit liaison with his niece. A dandy, boaster, workaholic, insomniac and inveterate socializer in London's most fashionable circles, Hooke's irascible temper and passionate idealism proved fatal for his relationships with men of influence, most notably with Sir Isaac Newton, who, after one violent row, wiped Hooke's name from the Royal Society records and destroyed his portrait. In this lively and absorbing biography, Lisa Jardine at last does Hooke and his achievements justice. Illuminating London's critical role in the emergence of modern science, she rediscovers and decodes a great original thinker of indefatigable curiosity and imagination, a major figure in the seventeenth-century intellectual and scientific revolution.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 01, 2011
A very good read, plenty of intrigue and backstabbing amongst the early fellows of the Royal Society to keep your attention. The day after I finished reading this I discovered that Hook was a great favourite of my late FIL who was an FRS, such a pity he isn't still with us, I'm sure it would have been a very interesting conversation. And only this morning I heard a discussion on the Today programme about Hook's great friend Robert Knox who was held captive in Ceylon for twenty years and whose writing may have heavily informed Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. So glad I spotted this on someone's wish list!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/3/2011 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
In the hands of the Royal Mail and on the way to July's BCUK Birthday Exchange recipient.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 24, 2011
Thank you. This has been on my wishlist for a while; looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2012
Very interesting book about a man who has undeservedly fallen into obscurity. Who knew the RS indulged in such machinations! I read with equal fascination and horror the accounts of the substances people used to dose themselves with, often a poison rather than a cure. They did seem to be awfully keen on vomiting and purging!
Thank you for sending me this, Cassiopaeia.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrahar109wing at BCUK Unconvention 2012 in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/28/2012 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2012 in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

On the book table, or released somewhere around Colchester.

Hello!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 7 by beeofgoodcheer at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2012
Picked up from the groaning Book Buffet tables at the 2012 Unconvention.

Fascinating story of a fascinating and complex (if not always likeable) man.

Journal Entry 8 by beeofgoodcheer at Divine Cafe in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (7/20/2013 UTC) at Divine Cafe in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Happy trails, little book! I hope you have an interesting journey!

Journal Entry 9 by wingcally-cwing at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Picked up from Divine this morning. I've read a bit about the science of this period before, so I'm interested to learn more about Hooke.

Journal Entry 10 by wingcally-cwing at Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 27, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this & learning more about this period of scientific discovery.

Journal Entry 11 by wingcally-cwing at Sainsbury's Coffee Shop in Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/15/2018 UTC) at Sainsbury's Coffee Shop in Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom

You've found a travelling book!
This book set off on its travels in Februay.....but where has it decided to stay?

Well, if you're reading this then you've found it & you can tell us!
Please take a minute to say where it was discovered...
...& you can tell us what you thought of it.
When you've read it, please pass it to a friend to enjoy
or leave it in a public place for someone else to find -just like you did!

(If you decide to join Bookcrossing, please consider putting me,
cally-c as your referring member-thanks!)