I Shall Never Return 03

ISBN: 1934496227 Global Overview for this book
Registered by laevina of Denver, Colorado USA on 7/3/2008
Journal Entry 1 by laevina from Denver, Colorado USA on Thursday, July 03, 2008
Manga / Romance / Drama / Yaoi

Ken meets his stepfather in Singapore while Ritsuro is fending off Kazuyoshi. Tons of angst.

Journal Entry 2 by laevina from Denver, Colorado USA on Saturday, July 05, 2008

Journal Entry 3 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Thanks a lot laevina for the third part of the story!
Had been looking forward to the second part and this book already, now I can see how it continues ;-)
Will check here to see who the next one is in the ring!

Journal Entry 4 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 02, 2008
Have to tell that until now, I liked this part the best. Lots of romance and personal relations, love and happenes, saddness and all you can imagine in true life. Some surprising events too, so this was ideal!

Now starts the wait for number 4 and 5 (if I remember well, the last part is not even out yet) to see how the love continues !

Journal Entry 5 by winghippoleinwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 04, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/4/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Bookring going to the next person, hope it arrives safely in Greece!

Journal Entry 6 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, August 07, 2008
Wow, this is a hot cover! I can't wait to start reading the 2 volumes....

Thanks hippolein for posting the books to me, and laevina for once again including me in the rings!

Journal Entry 7 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, August 10, 2008
The relationship between Ken and Ritsuro continues to evolve, but now it's Ritsuro who has to deal with the split between body & soul...
I find the artwork of this vol 3. more interesting.

vol 1 vol 2

Journal Entry 8 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, August 25, 2008
On its way back home to laevina's bookshelf.

Journal Entry 9 by laevina at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/19/2010 UTC) at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Put into the Manga/Graphic Novel Bookbox (US Only)
forum post - http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/445483

off into the wild . . .

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, December 02, 2010
A "masterpiece of early yaoi," eh? Sounds interesting! I'm taking these three well-traveled volumes (listed below) from k00kaburra's Manga bookbox. Many thanks!

Volume One
Volume Two
Volume Three

Later: I also picked up the last two volumes so I could read the whole set:

Volume Four
Volume Five

Journal Entry 11 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, March 24, 2013
[Sorry it's been so long - I read the book not long after I got it, but it went into my to-be-reviewed pile until I could finish the series, and I only got around to the last two volumes recently!]

So Ken's in Singapore, newly reconciled with his mother - but she starts in with comments against his loving another man. And back home, Ritsuro's family has some cautionary words about Ken. Both families are sincere in their wishes to protect their loved ones, and one nice feature of the story is that despite the boys' declarations of love and faith, even I wasn't not entirely sure that they wouldn't be happier with someone else. Not that I want them to give up on each other yet, of course, but are Ken's protestations that Ritsuro's the only one who can change him remotely realistic?

I loved the bit where Ken, still suffering over his trauma from Vol. 2, wrecks the car and winds up getting rescued by a fellow who looks a lot like Ritsuro, glasses and all - and who turns out to be - well, I'll leave that for the reader, but it tickled me as much as it worried me. More complicated relationships this guy does NOT need at the moment. And back home, Ritsuro's getting closer to someone unexpected, and worrying whether his physical responses mean that his heart is just as confused as his body is...

This volume ends with each of the main characters facing powerful emotions, though with very different contexts. One thing I really like about this series is that it does present the problems of changing moods, confused feelings, and the challenges of loving someone when you can't be together.

Journal Entry 12 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/27/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this set of five books out on a bookray (see the forum thread here); they'll be on their way to the first stop, with BCer BMVCOE in Maryland, today. (I'd like the last person on the list to offer the books in the forums again, but if there are no takers, the books can be released as the holder desires.) Hope future readers enjoy them!

The mailing order is in the journal entry of Volume One, here.

Journal Entry 13 by BMVCOE at Beltsville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 01, 2013
Caught in the mail from GoryDetails!

Journal Entry 14 by BMVCOE at Beltsville, Maryland USA on Thursday, April 25, 2013
Having been in long-distance relationships, I know the struggle that Ken and Ritsuro express in this book. I was just really bothered by the portrayal of J. I know he's supposed to be younger than Ken's mother, but he still looks too much like he's of an age with Ken and Ritsuro. And then J's relationship with Master Taki being described alternately as "father"-like and "lover" is strange. But I did like seeing Ken and Ritsuro's resolve to be together despite their families' advice.

Sending off to HI77!

Journal Entry 15 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, May 04, 2013
A picture perfect love,

through a lense the image
becomes distorted.

Journal Entry 16 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, May 13, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/13/2013 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This one had the best cover of the series! :)

Great color scheme, the angle of the character and proportion where just perfect! It was so much better than what we'd been seeing from the Mangaka up to this point. I think her drawing style was really showing improvements here!

I wasn't fond of the going away to another country. I felt that the distance she put between the characters cause a lot of disruption to the story. For the most part, Ken starts to lose center focus and the books become more about Ritsuro. And to be frank, he's not my favorite character. He whines too much and sometimes I just wanted to smack him. He really didn't fit into the role of 'having a lot of inner strength' that the author tried to say he had in the first book. Where was the Ritsuro, the strong kid of the both their memories? He was the one with the safe and solid childhood, after all.

It's funny though, I did feel bad for Moeko. Usaully, I don't like the interference of female characters in yaoi, as their usually nothing more than filler, but the author started to flesh out who she was and I actually found I felt sorrier for her, then the situation with the boys...

Ok, this volume if off to the next reader in the bookring! :)

Journal Entry 17 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 23, 2013
Both Ken and Ritsuryo start to grow up. Interesting that the scene between Ken and his mother seems to foreshadow a possible entanglement between Ken and his new step-dad. I wonder how accepting Mom will be at that point....

Journal Entry 18 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, June 06, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/6/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Sent off to Hawaii. Enjoy!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 19 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, June 08, 2013
Received today with thanks. Life is a bit hectic at the moment but I'll get to these as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 20 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 03, 2013
Doesn't seem like Ken & Ritsuro have *any* relationships that aren't complicated. As they try to work out their feelings for each other, new wrinkles keep turning up, including Ken's surprisingly young and intriguing stepfather.

Journal Entry 21 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/31/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Cross-country road trip! The guys are headed for Florida.

Journal Entry 22 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, September 12, 2013
Book is here from Hawaii at record speedy. Probably won't be able to get to this series for a month or so though, life is rough, but hopefully Tsjara doesn't have to wait a whole year for it.

Journal Entry 23 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, November 18, 2013
The artist is definitely maturing, less of those anatomically awkward postures.

So Ken meets his stepdad, who is younger than he expected. Hmm... a bit worried that the family will become a love triangle of sort... That would be messy...

Is it just me or is Ritsuro's face getting cuter? His personality though... this doesn't feel like the same Ritsuro from vol 1. This guy is so wishy washy, willy nilly, it's a pain to watch.

Journal Entry 24 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 25, 2014
The books have safely arrived in the Netherlands. Thanks so much Azuki for sending them all the way from Hong Kong (and for the 3 extra wishlist books too!!)
Looking forward to read these, it's been a while since I have read any manga.
Thanks GoryDetails for hosting the (new) bookray and laevina for sharing the books. :D

Journal Entry 25 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (3/11/2014 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

A kind of strange volume, as Ken and Ritsuro are living their lives far away from each other. Ken is in Singapore meeting his young stepfather, who surprisingly looks a lot like Ritsuro... and asks him to come with him to India on a photo excursion. And Ritsuro seems to feel a bit left behind, and is confused about what he wants, getting swept away by Iwasaki. I quite like Moeko, though I also feel sorry for her.

The books are on their way to okyrhoe. Happy reading :)

Journal Entry 26 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, March 29, 2014
A re-read, but this time part of the full set. Yummy ;-)

I had forgotten the classroom scene !

Journal Entry 27 by okyrhoe at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/23/2014 UTC) at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Andrasthe. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 28 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, August 26, 2014
Volumes 1-5 all arrived today, thank you Andrasthe! :)

Journal Entry 29 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 12, 2014
I read the whole series and really enjoyed the story. Oh the young love! <3 :)
The drawing style was exceptionally beautiful.

Released 5 yrs ago (10/23/2014 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Volumes 1-4 are traveling together to Belarus.

Journal Entry 31 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, December 26, 2014
All four arrived today. Looking forward to reading them!

Journal Entry 32 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Sunday, January 11, 2015
An introduction of the new characters made the story more dynamic, I liked it.

Is going to Vekiki next

Journal Entry 33 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (1/18/2015 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus