Sister of My Heart

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CITIBELLE of Wigmore, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 7/2/2008
Journal Entry 1 by CITIBELLE from Wigmore, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 02, 2008
This is the most beautiful book I have read this year so far. Will offer for a INTL bookring

Final listing Kerrikou
MidLifeCrisis
Okyrhoe
Pell
Kiri

Journal Entry 2 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 14, 2008
Arrived in the post this morning. Thank you, CITIBELLE. Will read asap.

Journal Entry 3 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 22, 2008
A beatifully told, touching story. I really enjoyed this book.

Thank you for sharing, CITIBELLE.

Posted off to Midlifecrisis this morning.

Journal Entry 4 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, July 24, 2008
This one was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight. I will read and get it moving as quickly as I can, though I do have three in the pipeline, so may be a little longer than usual.

Journal Entry 5 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, August 14, 2008
Wow, what a terrific tale - ups, downs, relationships in all shapes and sizes, joy, love, tears...... I just loved it, so thank you, thank you for introducing me to this author. I half guessed the payoff, but that did not in any way spoil the story, which became more compelling with every chapter. What would you like me to do with it next? Is it coming back to CITIBELLE?

Journal Entry 6 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, August 16, 2008
Being posted to Okyrhoe today - happy reading. (This missing list of names was discovered stuck between two pages at the end of the book!)

Journal Entry 7 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, August 22, 2008
Arrived today in my p.o. box. Thanks CITIBELLE for including me in the bookring, and Midlifecrisis for posting the book to me!

Not counting the ones I've organized, this is the 98th ring/ray I am participating in! When I joined BC I never imagined I'd get this hooked ;-o

Journal Entry 8 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, September 04, 2008
Initially I thought Sister of my Heart was going to turn out a disappointment; the first chapter reminded me of everything I disliked in The Mistress of Spices - the fairy tale references & the saccharine magical realism.
What saved it for me is the construct of alternating the chapters between Sudha's & Anju's narratives. Interwoven in the linear account of the story, there develops the silent subplot of what each girl desires to tell the other but is unable to vocalize. This unspoken narrative made the story more immediate and authentic, with the dramatic tension centered on the fluctuating relationship between the two girls, rather than on their individual struggles with social expectations & destiny.

Journal Entry 9 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Book has arrived safe and sound, thank you Okyrhoe for the lovely postcard, bookmarks and the beautiful stamps too. Looking forward to starting this one, I do have one more to finish but will be as quick as possible.

Journal Entry 10 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, November 25, 2008
I am a little worried about this book, I have posted it, about a month ago but cannot contact kiri as I have not heard whether the book has arrived. I enjoyed this book so much.

Journal Entry 11 by Kiri from Santa Rosa, California USA on Thursday, January 29, 2009
TBR. It is here! Thank you!

29 March 2009 -- This took me a little longer to get into but when I did I enjoyed it just as much as the others. This is truly a wonderful story and I liked the resolution!

I will be sending this back with Arranged Marriage and Mistress of the Spices to Citibelle thus finishing both rings unless otherwise directed.

by the way Citibelle - I think the Bookring Cards you put in each book are wonderful! =)

Ok to wild release per Citibelle.

Placing in the Passport to the World VBB April 2009