Five Quarters of the Orange

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by from-the-coast of Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on 4/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by from-the-coast from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Friday, April 04, 2003
II have another copy of this book I'm willing to release into the wild. I just finished it.I really liked this book. It was quite neat how the author intertwined the mother's recipe scrapbook into solving a mystery that occurred in a small rural village in France in WWII. The characters are memorable and I would love to taste some of the things in this book!!!

Journal Entry 2 by from-the-coast at Post Office in Kingston, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 06, 2003
Released on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at Post Office in Kingston, Ontario Canada.

Going in the mail tomorrow to Bluenoser of South Ohio, Nova Scotia as a trade. I think this book will be enjoyed.

Journal Entry 3 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Wednesday, April 16, 2003
Came home from work yesterday evening and found this in the mailbox. Many thanks from-the-coast. Perfect timing as I just had a few pages left of a good book. "Orange" is starting a bookray as soon as I've read it. If anyone else is interested in reading this book please PM me and I'll add your name to the list.

Journal Entry 4 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Thursday, April 24, 2003
I've nearly finished this one, so this weekend I'll be packing it up for the start of its journey on a bookray to 6 BCers in USA and 1 in Canada. I'll post the order on my profile and also pm each one individually and add a few words about the book.

Journal Entry 5 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Sunday, April 27, 2003
I really enjoyed this book and found it a light, easy read. I travel to France 2 or 3 times a year and have visited the Loire Valley so I'm familiar with the location of this story. I could recognize the old characters, with their houses, berets and opinions. I could picture the wide Loire river with its sand bars, its eddies and currents and imagine how dangerous it was to reach the treasure box and lay the traps for Old Mother the pike. I could visualise the old farmhouse, its kitchen, its henhouse and its orchard, each tree with a nickname. But most of all I could smell the food, the smooth warmth of the olive oil, the bite of the garlic and the aromatic herbs wafting through the old house. Joanne Harris knows her France, the people and most of all the cuisine. Now I HAVE to read her other books!
This is off on a bookray. Go to my profile page for the order of BCers in the 'ray. Bon appetit!
First stop - cobaltcat in California. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by cobaltcat from Fresno, California USA on Monday, May 12, 2003
Just received today. Will read and edit my journal entry and then send off to the next person in the ring.

Journal Entry 7 by cobaltcat from Fresno, California USA on Wednesday, May 21, 2003
I've enjoyed this book immensely. It's interesting to read the previous journal entries and see what the previous reader "saw". I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of the meals, but I could also see how much Framboise yearned for attention, and how unfortunate it was that Tomas Leibniz took advantage of that need from the children, and at the same time victimized the adults in one form or another. By the end of the book, I thoroughly detested Leibniz.
I would hesitate to call this a mystery solved. Rather, I see it more as uncovering layers of half truths, rumors, lies, and secrets that enabled Framboise to come to an understanding of her mother, and the events that transpired to shape all of their lives.

I sent this to Libby2 on Thursday, 05 June, 2003.

Journal Entry 8 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, June 12, 2003
Just arrived today from California. Thank you bluenoser (and colbaltcat) for sending this on to me in a bookray. I look forward to reading it, journaling again, and then sending it to the next bookcrosser in the ray.

Journal Entry 9 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, June 19, 2003
I started this book, not really knowing all that much about it, and wondering if it was really my kind of book, and before you know it I was pulled into the story so completely that I read it in a week! I read it during a very busy time, but kept stealing minutes here and there and regretted that it was over at the end. This is a very well-written story of a mystery, murder and intrigue and a childhood sadly lived. I liked this book very much and highly recommend it. Thank you bluenoser for sharing! This book if off to Squirrel1818 next.

Journal Entry 10 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2003
Mailed this book today to squirrell by media-mail - enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by squirrel818 from Tafton, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, June 26, 2003
I joined this bookray and will read this book asap.

Journal Entry 12 by squirrel818 from Tafton, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 05, 2003
I loved this book and I'm so gald I joined the ray because I don't think it's something I would have read otherwise. The characters,especially Framboise, were so convincingly real that I could imagine I was almost in the story with them. I enjoyed this so much that I signed up for the Chocolat ray. I am waiting for approval to send it on to the next person.

Released on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at to a fellow bookcrosser in Port Alberni, British Columbia Canada.

Journal Entry 14 by raintree from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, September 17, 2003
Caught this book as part of a book ray. I was working out at a "boat accessible only" lodge. It was quite a treat to have the book arrive with the mail boat one day. Sat in the sun on the deck and started reading it right away.

I really enjoyed the book. Very compelling writing. I found it hard to put down. The characters were so vividly portrayed that they almost felt real. I, too, did not want the book to end. Hope the next person in the ray enjoys it as much as I did. I'll be searching the library for some more of Joanne's writing.

I'll be heading down to Point Roberts, WA tomorrow to drop the book in the mail for the next member of the ray. Figured it must be easier to mail it from the US to the US than from Canada.

Journal Entry 15 by Cray17 from Hillsborough, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 22, 2003
Recieved in the mail from raintree today. Thanks! I will read it and send it along to the next person in the book ring asap.

Journal Entry 16 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Sunday, September 28, 2003
I've moved the order of bookray recipients (that I have to date), to the journal entries for this book. If anybody else would still like to read it before it is released into the wild, try PMing the last person on this list. There is another bookray starting for this book, to find it do a forum search.
Here is the original bookray list for THIS copy:

Order of BCers for the bookray of "Five Quarters of the Orange"
1) cobaltcat - California USA
2) Libby2 - Nebraska USA
3) squirrel818 - Minnesota USA
4) raintree - Calgary Canada
5) Cray17 - New Jersey USA (received September 22nd)
6) Cafemundo - Maine USA
7) daidy - Michigan USA
Please read the book as quickly as possible ( no longer than a month), then PM the person after you on the list to get their snail
mail address to send it on. Enjoy! If you would like your name added PM daidy.

Journal Entry 17 by Cray17 from Hillsborough, New Jersey USA on Friday, October 03, 2003
I loved this book. One of my favorite themes this year has been mother/daughter relationships. And now that I'm finished, I feel compelled to read Joanne Harris' other books now...well, if not now, in the near future. How about when my TBR pile gets smaller? Anyway, I am sending this to Cafemundo in the mail tomorrow.
Thanks bluenoser!

Journal Entry 18 by Cafemundo from Wilton, Maine USA on Wednesday, October 08, 2003
Received in the mail today...thanks Cray17!!!

Journal Entry 19 by Cafemundo from Wilton, Maine USA on Monday, October 13, 2003
This was a wonderful, rich story, full of such tactile imagery from the location to the food. I had just finished reading "Blackberry Wine" and then delved right into this one. I enjoyed Framboise's coming of age story and her fierce spirit that gave her the resolve to face anything. In the end, you know that she'll win no matter what obstacles are in the way. I enjoyed most of all the mysterious scrapbook with all of it coded messages and unique recipes. You should read this book in front of a fireplace with a nice cup of cocoa or a glass of wine. You let the story untwine itself just quickly enough to turn the pages and unfold the mystery. It's a great read!

bluenoser - Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
Sending this to daidy next...Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by daidy from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2003
I received this in the mail today. It'll be sent to Betsy-STL when I'm done.

10/29
Descriptions of the food didn't do much for me, but the pain of the interaction between the characters, the greed, wanting to cheer an old lady on...these are the things that made me like this book. I'm mailing it to Betsy-STL today, so if anyone wants to be added to the list please PM Betsy-STL, not me.

Journal Entry 21 by Betsy-STL from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, November 03, 2003
Rec'd in Saturday's (11-01-03) mail. Thanks Daidy! I will read and then take more names to continue the bookray. Thanks Bluenoser!
``````````````````````````````````````````````
Update 12-01-03
An ok read, but it wasn't what I was in the mood for reading. I just read it to move the bookray along. Therefore it felt like more of a chore than entertainment. I don't think I'm going to sign up for anymore bookrings because I just want to read what I want to read when I want to read it.

Journal Entry 22 by Betsy-STL from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, November 16, 2003
The bookray will continue with:

0) Betsy-STL
6) djf1968 - CA
7) lavatea - TX
8) Alive - FL
9) Tigercub - Canada

Journal Entry 23 by Betsy-STL at Postal Release in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2003
Release planned for Wednesday, December 03, 2003 at Postal Release in USPS, postal release USA.

Releasing to Felecia-Fairy to continue the book ray.

Journal Entry 24 by emmafiles from Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, March 16, 2004
It arrived... 3 months later! Gotta love that seamail :) I DO love these surprises.... when you forget completely that the book is coming!
Tnanks Betsy-Stl.... I will start the book soon.

Journal Entry 25 by emmafiles from Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, March 31, 2004
What a wonderful book!
I found it a little slow to start -but once it got going I was completely hooked by the characters and the storyline.
I saw a lot of the twists coming, but I still enjoyed reading them when they came.
The four children were beautiful and different characters, and I loved reading about their childhood confusions.

A great author, I will try and get my hands on more of Harris's books.

Lovely stuff!

Have Pm'ed MandMsMom and will send the book as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 26 by MandMsMom from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2004
I have been anxious to read this. I loved Chocolat and despised Blackberry Wine. I have heard good things about this book!

Journal Entry 27 by MandMsMom from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2004
Well...Joanne Harris redeemed herself. This book was phenonmenal and much better than even Chocolat. I find that even though I have never been to France I connect with the French countryside and to read about this small village and the Loire is just an amazing trip for me. What a rich fascinating story. I did not expect that the story of Tomas would go the way that it did. How Framboise lived with her secrets all her life are beyond me. As a migraine sufferer, I thought the orange bag was an incredibly cruel thing and I wonder how a child can have such a nasty streak and still in her own way be so innocent. That having been said I still loved the character of Framboise. She was a real person deserving of admiration. There were times in the book were I was so angry with Laure and Yannick I almost put it down but thanks to sweet Paul I kept reading. This book is truly a treat and I hope all the other readers enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks to Betsy-STL for continuing this ray and for bluenoser for orignially starting the ray and for from-the-coast for the original trade. This book is what bookcrossing is all about!

This is on its way to MaryZee

Journal Entry 28 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 22, 2004
Received in the mail roday. I've got one other bookring in front of this, so it'll be a week or so till I get to it.

6/27 - Ready to start on this one now.

Journal Entry 29 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, July 02, 2004
First book I've read by Joanne Harris - I enjoyed this one very much. Her descriptive phrasing in the book is very enjoyable and evokes a wonderful mood, without being overpowering.

I definitely want to read more by her.

Sent this out to LshsMom, on Tuesday 7/6.

Journal Entry 30 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, July 09, 2004
Received this in the mail today and will start reading it tonight :)

CAUGHT IN GLADSTONE OREGON USA

Journal Entry 31 by lshsmom from Wilsonville, Oregon USA on Friday, July 09, 2004
Ooops forgot to log in first......but will stil start reading it tonight :)

Journal Entry 32 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Thursday, November 04, 2004
just received.willtry to read fast and pass on.thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 33 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Sunday, November 14, 2004
this was a must read.very well written.thought provoking.would highly reccommend.Paul was one of my fave characters.The story was so vivid.want to read more of her works.

Journal Entry 34 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Wednesday, November 24, 2004
no response from djf1968.lavatea says to skip her.pmed Alive for her addy.

Journal Entry 35 by oldreader at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 25, 2004
Released on Friday, November 26, 2004 at about 6:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring Controlled Releases.

mailing to alive

Journal Entry 36 by Alive from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, January 08, 2005
I am so sorry for the delay oldreader.Thank you for the kind pm.

Journal Entry 37 by Alive from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, January 15, 2006
I will contact tigercub to pass on this book.

I am so very sorry for having this book for so long.

Journal Entry 38 by Alive from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Friday, March 09, 2007
This is very late in entering and I'm so sorry.

I contacted tigercub twice and she said she did not want the book.