Hanna's Daughters (Ballantine Reader's Circle) -- JOIN THIS BOOKRAY!

by Marianne Fredriksson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by pgsahm of Disputanta, Virginia USA on 4/17/2003
Journal Entry 1 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 17, 2003
I bought this at the thrift store and decided to start it on a bookray while my TBR pile decreases... :o)

What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookray is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. Preferably a bookray book is never released into the wild.

To join this bookray (or any other bookray of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookray member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

Zmrzlina (Massachusetts)
nikel27(Germany)
Scholly (Germany)
tho (Portugal)
ladytonia (Canada) (currently has ownership)

JDT (California)
kbgoffe (Oregon)
DEESSE (France)

Journal Entry 2 by pgsahm at on Sunday, April 20, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

See you later my little book! Let the bookray begin!

Journal Entry 3 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, May 07, 2003
Oh my, now here's something we don't see too often on the cover's of books in this day of Oprah-functional families..."an uplifting family saga" (emphasis mine) :-) I am looking forward to this read. I've got two bookrings books to finish up this week, then onto this one.

Thank you pgsahm! And it's neat to see someone else using stamps.com!

Journal Entry 4 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 12, 2003
Okay, I am very much enjoying this book, but reading slow. So...I have a deadline of next Thursday to have it finished, and if I don't it still goes out to the next person on the ring.

Journal Entry 5 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 19, 2003
I've got about 100 pages left and will finish it up at lunch, but want to post a journal entry.

This is a wonderful read. It starts out a bit slow, and a bit confusing. I wished many times I had written a family tree to keep track of the characters. However, by the time I was halfway through, I had a pretty good handle on the names. The story switches generations, but thestyle of narration changes, too, so I never got confused.

What I love is the history of Sweden, and the bits about how the Socialist Party came to be in Sweden and that there isn't ever blame placed on another character for causing another to be the way they are.

Too often family sagas place emphasis on blaming someone for faults in another. There are accusations of wrong doing and horrible treatment, but there is no blame. It is more about accepting what has been done, moving on and trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. There is "dysfunction" here but it is not the featured story. That is why I so enjoy this story.

I am sending this off to Germany today and look forward to reading everyone's comments. Thank you pgsahm for starting this ray!

Journal Entry 6 by Zmrzlina at USPS Post Office in Norwell, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 19, 2003
Released on Thursday, June 19, 2003 at United States Postal Service in Norwell, Massachusetts USA.

This is a ray, so I am making release notes so it appears in the last 3 released column and perhaps attracts more participants :-)

Journal Entry 7 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Monday, July 28, 2003
book arrived, have to read first some other books for Ray's/Ring's and book I promised to others. will let you know more later.

update 08/11/2003:

okay, I have read this book along time ago in German, I think nearly 10 years before....
I still like the story, but I still think it was not an easy read because off the not know name who are used in the story.

sent the book out the next member !!!!!

Release planned for Friday, August 15, 2003 at Postal System in Ginsheim, Hessen Germany.

goes out to the next member == > EnJoy !!!

Journal Entry 9 by Scholly from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, September 02, 2003
Found this book in my mailbox after my holliday. I´m looking foreward to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by Scholly from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, February 03, 2004
Sorry that it took so long to read this book. To my opinion you have to be in the right mood to read a book, or you are not able to enjoy the story.
In the beginning it was a little confusing to me because the women in this book have very familiar names: Hanna, Anna, Johanna...I mixed them up :-(
But it went better.
Very interesting - and mystic - book about three generation of women in historic Sweden.

Release planned for Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at Wird per Post versandt in Vaihingen/Enz, Baden-Württemberg Germany.

On it´s way to Lisboa, Portugal

Journal Entry 12 by tho on Saturday, February 28, 2004
Arrived yesterday on the mail - have a few other rings first, but I hope not to take too long :-)

Journal Entry 13 by tho on Friday, March 12, 2004
I didn't think I was going to enjoy this book, but fortunately I was wrong :-) I loved it ....
I haven't read many scandinavian novels, so this was surprise. Of the three narratives, I still enjoyed Hanna's better. What a difficult life she endured ...
The generation gap is very well portrayed, and if you come from a large family as I do then you understand it even better. It's funny how you only start appreciating your own parents, and seeing them as real persons, sometimes when it's already too late...

Will be mailed to ladytonia as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 14 by tho at on Monday, March 15, 2004
Released on Monday, March 15, 2004 at mailed to another Bookcrosser in Lisbon, Lisbon Portugal.

Mailed to ladytonia (Canada) today.

Journal Entry 15 by ladytonia from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 29, 2004
Thanks, arrived this week, will read as soon as I finish my current and get back in the mail.