We Were the Mulvaneys ~*~ former bookray

by Joyce Carol Oates | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by pgsahm of Disputanta, Virginia USA on 4/15/2003
Journal Entry 1 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2003
I read the book. It was not a favorite by any means. But it was likeable I guess. It was one of those wordy novels that doesn't ever seem to end. The storyline was not meaty enough for me. I hope the next person who receives it enjoys it more...

What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookray is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. Preferably a bookray book is never released into the wild.

To join this bookray (or any other bookray of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookray member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

DrBrown (California)
txcajun (Texas)
ladymoonlite (Illinois) >
nastenka-d (Portugal)
tara-K (Netherlands)
</font

Journal Entry 2 by pgsahm at on Friday, April 25, 2003
Released on Friday, April 25, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Let the bookray begin! Off to California as it's first stop!

Journal Entry 3 by DrBrown from Sierra Madre, California USA on Wednesday, May 07, 2003
The book has arrived -- I dive into its pages tonight!

Journal Entry 4 by DrBrown from Sierra Madre, California USA on Saturday, May 10, 2003
Some parts were overwritten, but I was amazed and overwhelmed at Joyce Carol Oates' grasp of the subtleties of dysfunctional families. What a great read!

Journal Entry 5 by DrBrown from Sierra Madre, California USA on Sunday, May 18, 2003
This has been mailed to txcajun. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 6 by txcajun from Carrollton, Texas USA on Friday, May 23, 2003
Received from DrBrown. Got a few more pages of Mossflower to finish, then I'm diving into this one. It's a heftier looking book than I expected, so I hope to snuggle down over the weekend and get my hands around this one.

Journal Entry 7 by txcajun from Carrollton, Texas USA on Thursday, June 19, 2003
I'm glad I read this book. It was captivating, although I can't really describe why. There were times in it when I almost felt a fantasy vision wash over me as I read descriptions, and yet the people were very real.

Sending this book on today!

Journal Entry 8 by ladymoonlite from Crest Hill, Illinois USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2003
Received today via mediamail. Perfect timing, as I just finished my current read. I'll jump right into this and see that it gets on it's way!

lml

Journal Entry 9 by ladymoonlite from Crest Hill, Illinois USA on Monday, July 14, 2003
I started this book promptly upon receiving it, thinking I could get it done and on it's way before I left on a business trip to Hawaii. That didn't work out, so I took it with me and finished it up on the flight there, then tucked it in my suitcase so I could mail it out to nastenka-d when I returned home. Well, I think this one was trying to make it's way back to txcajun! While I got back into O'Hare on time, my luggage took a detour and wound up on a side trip to Dallas-Fort Worth. I imagined my belongings, and this book, never making it back, and having to go out and get another copy of the book to continue the bookring! Thank goodness, it finally returned safely. (In honor of this little side-trip, I'll be leaving txcajun's post card in the book when I mail it on, along with the one that I've added)

On to the review: As you can see, I didn't rate it very favorably. Like pgsahm, I felt it went on and on without going anywhere at all. The story is depressing and never seems to turn around, even in the last pages. I realize that not every life is sunshine and roses, but there MUST be a silver lining somewhere (to mix my metaphors). It really seemed that the author skipped all of the good times and concentrated solely on the negative in the characters lives. I know there are times when I'm just not in the mood to read certain kinds of books, and maybe this was one of them.

Soon, this one will be off to Portugal.

Journal Entry 10 by nastenka-d from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, September 12, 2003
Got it!
This will be my first book by Joyce Carol Oates. I hope to enjoy it! It's a very big book (more than 400 pages!), so I hope everyone will understand if I need a little time to read it.

Journal Entry 11 by nastenka-d from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, October 02, 2003
I have to agree with Ladymoonlite; the book didn't took me nowhere. I had to work hard to keep on reading it, (I still have difficulties with some english books), and the story didn't make my life easier. Well, I believe it's well written, and that a good point about it!
Now, off to The Netherlands!

Journal Entry 12 by tara-K from Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, October 04, 2003
The book arrived today from Portugal. I'll start it as soon as I can. I've also just received another BookRay book, so it will be a little bit before I start it.

It took me a while to get this book read. It wasn't that it wasn't good, but it just didn't grab me the minute I started reading. There was always something else to do instead of read. About half-way through, I wanted to know how it would end and kept going. I kept waiting for there to be a happy ending and I'm sorry to say, it really only happened in the Epilogue. I so wanted this family to heal and become whole again. Better late than never but it's a shame they all had to suffer so much before it happened.

The book is ready to go out to the next person. The 2 people after me have asked to be skipped and I'm still waiting for the address for the last person on the list.(07.nov.03)

Since the people after me are not interested in the book, I'm passing it on to a friend who is also a bookcrosser.