Life Before Man

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tolivegreens on 4/3/2003
Journal Entry 1 by tolivegreens on Thursday, April 03, 2003
A typical Atwood book, which, I think, is a good thing.

Journal Entry 2 by tolivegreens at postal release in Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, April 08, 2003
Released on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 at postal release in Porto, Porto Portugal.

Sent this off to joaninha in the mail...hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by joaninha from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, April 14, 2003
The book arrived today, safely.

Journal Entry 4 by Aquina from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, August 28, 2003
"In Margaret Atwood's fourth novel, Elizabeth and Nate are a married couple foundering to preserve their decaying marriage until the suicide of Chris, Elizabeth's lover, illuminates the futility of their efforts.
Nate rushes to the arms of Lesje, Elizabeth's timid co-worker at the Natural History Museum's Paleontology department, in retaliation, while Elizabeth fights to regain a modicum of control over both her husband and her crumbling self-esteem. Their adolescent daughters, wrenched by the upset of the divorce, become pawns in Nate, Elizabeth, and Lesje's ensuing struggle to redraw family and battle lines.

Atwood draws wry and witty parallels between the lives of her characters and those of the dinosaurs that Elizabeth and Lesje seek to immortalize in their museum exhibits. She reveals the strata of humor and pathos that make up modern familial and romantic love, all the while reminding us of the constant threat of imminent extinction."
A good read, but not one of Atwood's best.

Journal Entry 5 by Aquina from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 29, 2007
International bookray:

Portugal

1.kizmiaz
2.Elsita
3.ichigochi
4.conto

Released 12 yrs ago (8/30/2007 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom

A caminho da casa do kizmiaz, em Lisboa

Journal Entry 7 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, September 03, 2007
Chegou!
Just got it, that was fast. I'll start right away since I'm in much need of an Atwood fix.
Thanks Aquina.

Journal Entry 8 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, September 12, 2007
What is good about Atwood’s books is that they are all very different from each other but all of them have well crafted characters and interesting plots, this book is one fine example of this.
I really enjoyed the way the story is told and all those little pieces untold but that we can figure out.
There are three main characters, or two main characters and Nate, and they’re all so different from each other and all equally easily dislikeable.
It’s a book about relationships (and they come in various shapes), the good stuff, the bad stuff and all the other stuff that you have to deal with when you’re in one.
It’s not an easy book but neither are relationships.
I'll be sending it to Elsita today.

Journal Entry 9 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Saturday, September 29, 2007
Finally, my computer got fixed and I have internet acess again.
The book is with me, I informed kizmiaz a week ago.
Going TBR as I am in a middle of another book.
Thanks for your patience, kizmiaz and Aquina.

Journal Entry 10 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Sunday, October 21, 2007
Sorry for the delay... Going to start to read this tomorrow, don't think it gets too long.

Journal Entry 11 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
A story about relationships.
Relationships, breakoffs, startovers.
And dinosaurs... And the children, of course.
Another excellent writing of Atwood's.

Thanks for sharing the book, Aquina!
Going to ichigochi asap...

Journal Entry 12 by ichigochi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Friday, December 07, 2007
It arrived today.
Thank you Elsita and Aquina!
It will be my first Atwood... :)

Journal Entry 13 by ichigochi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Friday, January 11, 2008
I enjoyed Atwood's writing but wasn't that excited with the storyline.. maybe because I couldn't identify or sympathize with any of the characters.
But I will definitely try another of her books sometime.

Thanks for sharing.
The book is already in its way to conto.

Journal Entry 14 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, January 11, 2008
Thanks ichigochi, it's here now!
We'll get to it asap.

Journal Entry 15 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, January 20, 2008
As said before, here's a tale of wretched, unhappy people making each other more wretched and unhappy. Not an uplifting book, but a good one!
I enjoyed it - I'm yet to encounter a book by Atwood that I don't enjoy - and I thought it was very well written, though it didn't quite pull me in and felt like changing to something more cheerful from time to time.
Particularly enjoyed the permanent parallels between dinosaurs and people's lives over Lesje's daydreaming.

I hadn't noticed I was the last one on this ray, but I already know of someone who will want to read it next, I bet!!

Released 11 yrs ago (1/28/2008 UTC) at controlled release in Lisboa, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

Um RABCK pouco "random" porque enviado como agradecimento de um verdadeiro RABCK.

Espero que gostes Frangipani04!

Journal Entry 17 by Frangipani04 on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Here it is.

Thank you so much for remembering that I love Atwood's books, conto!!!

I'm going to read it soon and then keep it travelling.

Journal Entry 18 by sushibaby at Braga, Braga Portugal on Monday, December 13, 2010
Já recebi o livro há mais de um mês mas não tinha visto o Bicid.

Vou lê-lo e depois fazer com que siga a sua viagem.
Obrigada Frangipani04.