Downtown: My Manhattan

by Pete Hamill | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 6/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Saw this at a charity chop for about a dollar. Heading to New York City tomorrow. This seemed like an omen. One of my favorite authors.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, July 04, 2008
Splendiferous book, and a great thing to be reading while in New York City. I learned a great deal, and have sent quoted passages to guyczuk, who is in NYC this summer.

Reserved for javaczuk and guyczuk, if he wishes.

Amazon Editorial Review:

A rich historical and personal portrait of Manhattan from the bestselling writer who is for many the living embodiment of the city.

Manhattan, the keystone of New York City, is a place of ghosts and buried memory. One can still see remnants of the British colony, the mansions of the robber barons, and the speakeasies of the 1920s. These are the places that have captivated the imaginations of writers for centuries. Now Pete Hamill brings his unique knowledge and deep love of the city to a New York chronicle like no other.

During his 40 years as a newspaperman, Pete Hamill has been getting to know Manhattans neighborhoods and inhabitants intimately, bearing witness to their greatest triumphs and tragedies. From the winding, bohemian streets of Greenwich Village to the seedy alleyways of the meatpacking district and to the weathered cobblestones of South Street Seaport, Hamill peels back the layers of history to reveal the citys past, present, and future.

More than just history or reporting, this is an elegy by a native son who has lived through some of New Yorks most historic moments, and who continues to call this magnificent, haunted city his home.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at on Monday, July 14, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (7/14/2008 UTC) at

Given to javaczuk (though I did send select passages to guyczuk, who is in NYC this summer.)

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, bookczuk, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, Charleston has an active group of BookCrossers who meet monthly (second Sunday of the month) at various spots in the Tri-county area. Come join us! For more information, see our yahoo group here! Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Courtyard Marriott Chelsea on 30th in New York City, New York USA on Saturday, August 04, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (8/4/2018 UTC) at Courtyard Marriott Chelsea on 30th in New York City, New York USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

If you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us! I've been a BookCrosser since 2003 and have found books left by others, discovered new authors to read, watched my books travel all over the world, and discovered a delightful group of readers online through BookCrossing.